Urban EDC of Medium to Large Fixed Blade.

OP, forgive me for my long message
people carry folding knives in "society" because of their non-menacing demeanor, they appear strong enough and won't invite the hassle of law enforcement. knowing your laws regarding a fixed blade knife will go a long way in keeping that sort of nuisance at bay. other reasons why people shy away from fixed blades is a woman, if they are out with their lady, perhaps she is uncomfortable by the sight of it, and i personally would avoid carrying a fixed combat knife unless you really feel you need to.
maybe, they have kids and feel that the looks of onlookers is something that makes them uncomfortable, lots of people carry knives, for work, protection, or for utility, and most of the time its a folding knife, i personally abhor moving parts, too much possibility for critical errors. i would suggest and advise --- don't worry about the "why" of others, do what you want to do, carrying a knife is a personal choice not everyone makes, its tailored to them, just like the choice to buy a gun or choosing a soft mattress over a firm one, it just depends on your personal needs for your life, the less you worry about the looks you get or spend wondering why others don't do some of the things that you do, the happier you will be.

--- final thought, compromise with yourself, carry a neck knife in your pocket, because, what is a neck knife, but a small "pocket fixed blade?", I've done it for years, get yourself a good fixed blade neck knife and stick it in your pocket, but make sure its stainless, or it'll likely be rusted due to the dampness of its placement

Last edited:
As far as carrying a gun, I choose not to for many reasons. Working downtown there are very few buildings that allow firearms, I enjoy drinking a beer once in a while and am 100% against drinking and carrying a firearm, I also don't fee comfortable at all with leaving my firearm in my vehicle even if it is in a lock box.

Would you feel better with a fixed blade knife versus nothing but your bare fists? Seems to me like it is a decent self defense option, last ditch or otherwise.

Pepper spray, man. It's more effective than a knife and a lot less likely to get you in prison.

What fixed blade knife length and/or style makes the most sense for nearly any situation? What's the ideal trade off to size, usefulness, concealability, etc.

I recently tried a smaller 4" more streamlined knife. The Ontario Blackbird Sk-4. I thought that the 4" blade would be useful and comparable to my almost 4" folder/auto and that the "bar of soap" grip and more friendly SAK-like spear point tip would make it seem more like a tool than a weapon on my hip. I don't really like it. It's too thin both in stock and handle, the tip isn't the best for opening things at work (make's sense since it is a survival knife). I much prefer the much heavier if not much longer ZT180. Clip point and hand filling with enough shape to be a good piercer and still not look like a total weapon.

One of my big hang ups on the ZT180 was the sheath. It is a bucket of suck. It's not BAD, but it's so big and bulky if well made. I made a quick and dirty one out of leather and it much easier to carry and use.

So while I typically prefer my folder/auto for convenience, when I want something that can handle a bit more abuse, I find a 4" fixed blade to be a good compromise to handle most things. I sort of see the 4" blade to be a good jack of all trades size. it can work and it can defend. You can build a fire with it. Most knives of that size will handle some abuse. It's large enough to do hard work but small enough to not get left at home.

edit to add to the topic:
I carry whatever I want in my office, because, well, it is MY office;) I am a contractor so I want something that not only open boxes and stuff in the warehouse but will also hold up to work on the jobsite. I live in very knife friendly Indiana, so I can carry most anything I want.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the 4" length. It seems to be able to handle most tasks and has proven to me to be a good all arounder size for me.

Sheaths are the bane of my existence. Luckily I posses just enough skill to make simple and functional leather sheaths for my knives. This is one of the reasons that prompted me to post in the first place. Most sheaths for this size of fixed blade are very cumbersome, larger than they need to be, and are built for IWB which is crazy uncomfortable for me.

The advice to move away from "bad people" is impossible as they are everywhere. That also sounds like a really ignorant thing to add to the thread.

I have a career , family, and friends here. The whole idea that if someplace isn't perfect for you, you should just leave is asinine.

What fixed blade knife length and/or style makes the most sense for nearly any situation? What's the ideal trade off to size, usefulness, concealability, etc.

I recently tried a smaller 4" more streamlined knife. The Ontario Blackbird Sk-4. I thought that the 4" blade would be useful and comparable to my almost 4" folder/auto and that the "bar of soap" grip and more friendly SAK-like spear point tip would make it seem more like a tool than a weapon on my hip. I don't really like it. It's too thin both in stock and handle, the tip isn't the best for opening things at work (make's sense since it is a survival knife). I much prefer the much heavier if not much longer ZT180. Clip point and hand filling with enough shape to be a good piercer and still not look like a total weapon.

One of my big hang ups on the ZT180 was the sheath. It is a bucket of suck. It's not BAD, but it's so big and bulky if well made. I made a quick and dirty one out of leather and it much easier to carry and use.

So while I typically prefer my folder/auto for convenience, when I want something that can handle a bit more abuse, I find a 4" fixed blade to be a good compromise to handle most things. I sort of see the 4" blade to be a good jack of all trades size. it can work and it can defend. You can build a fire with it. Most knives of that size will handle some abuse. It's large enough to do hard work but small enough to not get left at home.

edit to add to the topic:
I carry whatever I want in my office, because, well, it is MY office;) I am a contractor so I want something that not only open boxes and stuff in the warehouse but will also hold up to work on the jobsite. I live in very knife friendly Indiana, so I can carry most anything I want.

I'm confused, I thought you said in your fist post that you lived in Minneapolis?

Last edited:
It seems to me that being knowledgeable and using common sense of the knife laws in your area, the areas you travel, and just being observant of your surroundings go a long way. I like small fixed blades for small chores, the carry option where it is comfortable, convenient and accessible is what I have to figure out. Horizontal carry is a possible solution. I would think 4 inches is the limit for a practical EDC. YMMV. I prefer 3 to 3.5 inches. If I could access it easily from a horizontal carry and re-sheath it, that would be optimal and get experience with using a fixed as an EDC. My goal is to one day own a Horsewright knife and horizontal sheath. Or at least have one of his sheaths made for one of my small JK knives. I still would have a small folder such as a SA or Opinel, I use a folder more often......for now. :D

Last edited:
Carrying a big belt knife around the office does make one the office mall ninja lol. A small fixed blade doesnt seem to be a big deal with most people, but an ESEE 4 is a bit much when there are no bears to skin. If you like it though, go for it. As long as youre discreet and not Dwight Schrute from the Office most people wont even notice. Most people are pretty oblivious to the world anyway.

I carry a fixed blade most of the time too, and its no big deal. I just put a shirt over it and no one notices. When I use one it is out and back pretty quickly, and draws less attention than a pocket knife snapping open so most people dont even look up from their phones.

As far as self defense though, I understand your concern but a knife might not be a good choice. Pepper spray is pretty much the best option aside from a gun, and it is concealable so your coworkers wont think youre a nutjob. Just saying.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like all that long ago, guys carried sheath knives with them all the time. If you are still out in the country, its not uncommon at all, but as you get closer to the cities you can forget it. Too many liberals crying and wetting their pants....

I am a Facilities Service tech (fancy for Guy-who-rides-around-in-van-and-fixes-things) and have regularly carried a fixed blade (sizes from BK 14 up to current love, the SOG Pillar) horizontally at 10 0'clock position. I am in and out of various environments all day long and rarely get a second look. To be fair, I am doing plumbing most of the time, which seems to confuse and frighten most people. As I am in Alabama, it is legal as long as it is unconcealed. As far as the acceptance of society at large, I find tact and discretion combine well with a general demeanor of politeness. I don't play stupid games, hence I win no stupid prizes.

Back