Urban Window Foraging, Just a Walk In The Park

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by B Griffin, Jun 30, 2016.

1. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I am having a dental surgery this morning, so I won't be out and a about for a few days, and when I am I will have to catch up on work. One of the issues I am doing material for will be urban-survival-themed, so I have been in town working the last couple of days. So, I thought I'd do a post on urban flora and fauna in a local park where I sat to write. I'm not sure about the legalities of foraging in a city park...but I just ate a few blackberries, and took notes on other things. It was more like I was window-foraging :)

It is a pretty popular park. It's right next to down town, and very close to our local trauma center.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It could be argued that these are special flowers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That become special berries

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That make this one of the special plants in U.S. History

[​IMG]

Lots of useful “weeds” in the park

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of insect life here in the summer months

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few pear trees here and there

[​IMG]

A lot of aquatic life here along the Tennessee River Valley...though some of the signs remind us that there can be cause for some concerns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good bit of wildlife as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lots of things to go in the pot with it...

[​IMG]

At this point Iwas having thoughts of herbs and stewed rabbit running through my head and ready for a snack myself :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. Kal-El

Kal-El

Sep 30, 2010
    Hey Brian.
    Man, this puts into perspective all of the "little" things around us everyday that are seemingly overlooked.

Great pics as usual. Good luck with the Doc.
    Sergio

3. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Good stuff Brian. Love the high shutter speed pic that froze the helicopter. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the surgery.

4. huang618

huang618

Apr 1, 2015
    Very cool photos, thank you for sharing!

5. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Gold Member

Apr 21, 2012
    That redhead is a bombshell à la Amy Adams. The other pics are good too...

6. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Sergio! Yeah, the old world didn't just go away...yet, just because we built a modern one :)

Back home now. No complications so far, but the pain is setting in now...

Thanks Bob. Yeah, with all the aircraft buzzing around this city I get plenty of practice on aircraft :)

Thank you, very glad you enjoyed them man!

Thanks man, and lol, yes she was...but she had a facial expression like she could explode any minute :D

7. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
    Well yeah....she was being ignored. They explode when you ignore 'em. :eek:

I love that Handyman. And it's unique story. I've probably asked you before but where did you find the bento box with the bamboo lid? That's a nice piece of kit and I notice it gets lots of use.

8. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Yes, I know, I'm married to one :)

Me too, it is my most prized knife of all because of the story behind it. It is the Black+Blum Sandwich On Board lunch box. This one was sent as a gift from a friend in Switzerland because I loved the one he has and I do like making my own foods when I am out, but I have seen them on line.

9. Scotcha

Scotcha

Oct 25, 2013
    Fantastic pics Brian. Glad the rabbit did not end up in a stew :)

10. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Abe. These days I much prefer hunting with a camera, but it keeps me in practice if hunting otherwise becomes a necessity again :)

11. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007

Thanks guys. Surprisingly little pain today, I guess because I was already in so much pain to start with, so I'm heading back out today for work instead of waiting till Monday. Hopefully the pain level stays down after my blood gets to pumping and the day gets hotter...

12. Kal-El

Kal-El

Sep 30, 2010
    Solution: Skip the cheese and crackers. Pack a milkshake! :D

13. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    LOL, I didn't pack one, but I did have one for lunch :D

14. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I think I would have difficulty shooting a rabbit that was being all cute and running at me. I'd have to be pretty hungry for that one!

15. .357gus

.357gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for sharing the pics Brian. They are always a pleasure to look at. Hope you recover quickly from the surgery.

16. Scotcha

Scotcha

Oct 25, 2013
    Good luck and all the best with the surgery Brian.

While I'm a carnivore and will eat almost any socially accepted and some questionable fauna I am getting to a stage where I can enjoy a vegetarian meal.

Ideally I aim to one day grow and rear my own vegetables and livestock.

17. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you Gus, I'm glad you enjoy the photos :) Thanks man, I'm recovering faster than I expected from the pain going into it.

I had a fairly interesting youth. My grandparents on both sides were farmers and gardeners. My father, brother, and myself did a lot of hunting, fishing, trapping, and raising meat animals. I have been able to enjoy purely vegetarian meals in the summer months all my life. I learned early on how bad it could get dressing game in a summer climate. You get a LOT of uninvited competition when you do. When it does come to game, fish, or fowl I definitely prefer the more socially accepted ones these days, though I have tried my share of the more....um....shall we say exotic ones. As as a life-long student of wilderness and urban survival skills, who has read a lot of books on how various cultures overcame food related adversity, I have very few qualms about eating anything that is palatable in times of hunger...butt I am definitely not very fond of opossum. I hope some day to go back to raising more of our own foods.

18. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
    The first 6 pics have a theme of "watching while being watched".

19. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    LOL, that could be the theme of that entire city :)

20. Justarandomguy

Justarandomguy

Oct 1, 2015
    Great pics Mistwalker. From the thread title, I was wondering if it would be a discussion of how to steal the pies cooling on window sills a la depression era vagabonds. I'm glad you were able to stay on the good side of Johnny Law for this ;). Also glad you are doing better!