Photos US PLU (W) B 1944...Fake?

I just noticed that plumb is spelled with an inverted "M".
Not sure what this means...Rare? Fake? Awesome typo in the stamping process & only a few made it thru before corrected?

20180519_231501.jpg

20180519_231511.jpg

20180519_231440.jpg

20180519_231446.jpg

It weighs in at just over 1 1/2lbs.
13" overall length
Top of eye measures 2 5/8" long, 1 5/8" wide

Let me know what you think.

Thank you gentlemen!

A piece to offer a story of a time so important and defining and the inverted M to provide a glimpse into the possibility of a pace at which these were produced with quality inspection for the military, not citizen consumer.
This fella will be hung, (something short - a cut down old mattock handle maybe) and used in the the yard and garden...probably get more use and need of protection from wife and kids than any axe, hatchet or crosscut will:cool:

Or, could it be some type of "origin" identifier ?..... the Army loves this
kind of "detail"...for example. Esprit de Corps for the Infantry grunt ?

"Middle West Division"

"Rolling W Division"

The division insignia consists of a black "W" within a circular black tower. The division personnel, during World War I, was drawn primarily from the Middle West, and the "W" indicates its western origin; when inverted, the letter becomes "M" and thus the name, "Middle West" Division. On its side, the letter represents the Greek letter "sigma", the symbol of summation that is, coordination or single effort. The circle is that geometrical figure which can come to stability in any position, yet move rapidly in answer to a change of forces.

Charles

Last edited:
Or, could it be some type of "origin" identifier ?..... the Army loves this
kind of "detail"...for example. Esprit de Corps for the Infantry grunt ?

"Middle West Division"

"Rolling W Division"

The division insignia consists of a black "W" within a circular black tower. The division personnel, during World War I, was drawn primarily from the Middle West, and the "W" indicates its western origin; when inverted, the letter becomes "M" and thus the name, "Middle West" Division. On its side, the letter represents the Greek letter "sigma", the symbol of summation that is, coordination or single effort. The circle is that geometrical figure which can come to stability in any position, yet move rapidly in answer to a change of forces.

Charles

That's great information and thank you Charles for that insight and possibly a direct answer as to why the M is inverted.
Thank you sir, very exciting information.

nah bud, it's a completely different pattern, also by the looks of the metal around it, this was stamped all in one go with one big whack, this was intentional

Rush to make things for the war. A letter stamp just got pressed in the die upside down. Corrected on the next run but ship 'em anyway - there's a war going on and soldiers need tools. Occam's razor.

Rush to make things for the war. A letter stamp just got loaded in the die upside down. Corrected on the next run but ship 'em anyway - there's a war going on and soldiers need tools. Occam's razor.

That's my thoughts as well:cool::thumbsup:

Back