USA Made hard use folder

I am a little surprised. Before I opened the thread to read, I fully expected to see a lot of Cold Steel in here, and not one mention yet :)

[EDIT] Actually, now that I think about it, is CS American made now-a-days? I have no idea.

I am a little surprised. Before I opened the thread to read, I fully expected to see a lot of Cold Steel in here, and not one mention yet :)
Not USA made except the 4Max right? And that is unusual to find under $300, and it might be discontinued as well(?)

Is there a Cold Steel around 4", $300 or less, made in the USA?

ZT 0350 or 562. Both have served me well and are both under $300. For $300 I would probably go and get two 0350 to have a spare

3qJgcpc.jpeg

I’ve been using a few Buck 110s in hard use for 30+ years. They are excellent hunting , camping and general use knives. I paid less than $300 for three of them. And several choices of blade steel, their standard 420hc, cpm 154, s30v,S35vn, 20cv and several others. Not to mention handle materials and configuration.

I second Spyderco. But they have done folders "tuffer" than the Military. If you don't mind $315, the Cruwear Tuff is still available.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-tuff-od-green-g-10-black-cru-wear-blade

At least as tough as any other folder mentioned in this thread :)

Strictly speaking not USA made, but Taiwan is so close to the US, and the mothership is in Colorado, so I hope that counts.

Last edited:
A flyer, check out Freeman 451

It's a pretty robust carry, and excellent edge geometry. For hunting and farm, it would be right at home.

QhxaVAJ.jpg

BKnSCZS.jpg
I haven't gotten to handle or get a Freeman yet but they've been on my radar. I love the rugged look and beefy character its got to it.
Hands down the zero tolerance 308.
Maybe a Zero Tolerance 308.
I gotta put in my vote for the ZT 308. It's a tank and it's one of the biggest folders I've ever felt, let alone owned and carried. It's right at the $300 mark but as some guys will tell you, if you can swing a little more money you'll get into a few more tough use choices. (Sebenza, Hinderer XMs, Spartan Harsey Folder, Strider, Medford). Haven't had most of those but they're big names around here.

I gotta put in my vote for the ZT 308. It's a tank and it's one of the biggest folders I've ever felt, let alone owned and carried. It's right at the $300 mark but as some guys will tell you, if you can swing a little more money you'll get into a few more tough use choices. (Sebenza, Hinderer XMs, Spartan Harsey Folder, Strider, Medford). Haven't had most of those but they're big names around here.

Oh, yeah ... I love the 308 as well, as American as it gets, including the naming :)

i-N9Bbpwv-X3.jpg

Oh, yeah ... I love the 308 as well, as American as it gets, including the naming :)

i-N9Bbpwv-X3.jpg
Man I'm jealous of that one. In all honesty the 0562 feels a bit more sturdy and stronger to me, but that may be because the 308 is so smooth and easy to open

I'd stick with Cold Steel . Any of the thicker Tri-ad models from Taiwan are great for hard use .

Taiwan made , but best for performance and value , IMO , over anything USA .

Sad , but true .

for truly hard use, I'd agree. Anything Tri-ad lock. Hell, a 4 max scout is around $80. You could buy a few. Or an AD10 if that's too big. And then get a decent fixed blade for even rougher use...I like Beckers, but there are a lot of choices.

For a USA folder, Id go Spyderco Shaman or Manix 2 XL. Maybe a Benchmade Adamas...Although the Shaman and Manix will cut better because they have better geometry, but the Adamas cuts pretty well.

If we weren't limited to U.S. made, I would say the thing others already have - CS AD10 or CS 4Max Scout.

As for U.S. made, I didn't notice anyone say BM Adamas. I recently sharpened one, for a friend. Not my cup of tea BUT it would definitely fit your criteria.

Hogue ex 01 with the 4 inch blade. Emerson, any of them. Spyderco manix, is the manix xl still offered?

Back