USA Old Timers - To Open or Not To Open?

About a year or so ago I stumbled across a pretty good find at an antique shop with several of these 34OT's and 108OT's that are U.S. made, and still in the original packages. There are no indications of the year on the packages so I'm only assuming they might be early 2000's, before they left the U.S., since they are not in boxes and are in this weird plastic packaging. I'm just not sure what to do with them??

I'm kinda one of those guys that only likes to keep original packaging/papers etc. with the knives I collect. The issue with these, is that the packaging will be damaged if opened. (The reason I'm a huge fan of boxes and tubes). If it was up to me I would leave them in the package for the next 30 years, but I'm worried the knives might rust too bad or back springs go out with the way the blades are opened up etc.

So... what would you do? Open them and use? Or keep them in the packages?

SyGtitY.jpg

Open them and have fun. Knife value wont beat inflation. Check it out for yourself, compare the catalog price of a Schrade from the 60's and then look at what the same unused knife with the packaging will run you now, in current dollars. Go to your favorite inflation calculator and put in the price and the year of the knife, and see how much different the price is. I find that it only rarely beats the curve on hundred year old knives, considering lightly used versions of the type I pursue are nearly exactly the same 'value' they had way back when they were 20 dollars a dozen. Only the rarest or absolutely best preserved specimens call for a significant value increase. The 34OT is the most common old timer, ever. The 108 is loved by moms everywhere because it's cute. Release them!

If I had a knife that I couldn't hold in my hand it would drive me nuts.As Andre mentioned these are not rare knives.I have heard that this type of packaging will break down over time.
I own quite a few stockman and although they don't all get used,they all get handeled from time to time.

Most of the knives I purchase are for inclusion into my knife collection. If a knife comes in any form of packaging, I save that too, but in an out of sight area, (a closet). I just purchased this 30 year old Camillus electrician's knife inside a sealed clamshell. I removed it from the packaging, gave her a once over inspection and light oiling/wipe down, and into one of my displays it went. The packaging?... In the closet :)

Make a time capsule and put that in along with a newspaper from now and a letter from you telling your history and about the Porch
Include anything else that you consider as from this time period and bury it in a sturdy rust resistant container
G2

Does anybody have an idea on the shelf life/integrity of this plastic shell?
I've heard both ways.
Keeps the moisture out-good.
Breaks down like celluloid/corrosive gas-bad.
Anybody know?--KV

OK
I had one exactly the same.Pristine packaged OT..among the first knives in my collection..I kept that one in a suitcase with some other treasures for a few years...10 years maybe....i have even have a duplicate so no worries there.
Even with this cloistered existance that plastic went brittle and yellowy looking.
The knife now resides with its kin .
The knife will outlast the package no worries.

I bought a 34OT a couple years back, in similar packaging. Mine came with a pin and some paperwork from the International Hunters Safety Association, dated 2001. Mine also had rust pitting starting on the liners. I would get those knives out of the packaging, and get some oil on them.

O.B.

About a year or so ago I stumbled across a pretty good find at an antique shop with several of these 34OT's and 108OT's that are U.S. made, and still in the original packages. There are no indications of the year on the packages so I'm only assuming they might be early 2000's, before they left the U.S., since they are not in boxes and are in this weird plastic packaging. I'm just not sure what to do with them??

I'm kinda one of those guys that only likes to keep original packaging/papers etc. with the knives I collect. The issue with these, is that the packaging will be damaged if opened. (The reason I'm a huge fan of boxes and tubes). If it was up to me I would leave them in the package for the next 30 years, but I'm worried the knives might rust too bad or back springs go out with the way the blades are opened up etc.

So... what would you do? Open them and use? Or keep them in the packages?

SyGtitY.jpg
If I were you I'd send the little 108OT to me, it looks too small for you anyhow :D

In all seriousness I suppose you can get some kind of black case to put these in like they sell to preserve the packaging on collectable toys, but I still don't think the packaging will last forever.

Last edited:
I have a Boker 493 I won't open it doesn't have a bar code so it has to be from the early 70's or before. It's also special because it was a gift from @Wurrwulf a couple of years ago. A 493 is not rare or expensive but I think it's very cool to still be a true NOS item so if you choose not to open them I understand totally.

OgEY1tc.jpg

I would open them and put them to work or at least store them properly. Those knives make great users if you want to know which way to go:D

Back