1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

USA Old Timers - To Open or Not To Open?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by OklaMoose, Jan 19, 2019.

1. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I hear ya Randy
    I didnt want to open mine it just sort of opened itself.

Prester John likes this.
  2. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    If you have several I would definitely open at least one to use. I have the male version of a hope chest set up for my son. There are several NIP knives similar to yours in it. Some of the plastic is starting to yellow but holding up okay. If you have family to pass them to they are a part of American knife history.............the do make great users!:D

OklaMoose and JohnDF like this.
  3. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Count me in the "don't open them" camp. As was mentioned before, there are tons of these already out of the package, but fewer and fewer that NIP. I doubt they'll ever end up on Antiques Roadshow for being in the package, but you'll have something in your collection that not everyone has. If you're just going to open them up, consider moving them along to someone that would appreciate a NIP example.

Bob W, Shurke, meako and 3 others like this.
  4. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I'm firmly with Paul T. and Glenn on this one . . . DO NOT OPEN THEM!! There are very few left in that condition.

Bob W, Shurke and OklaMoose like this.
  5. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Plastic was born to trash; open them up, oil the knives, and save the pasteboard from the inside if you like. Those are not rare knives, but they are excellent knives and deserve to be preserved. OH

redcanoe, dc50, meako and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    In that case I'd say collect them or let them go to be used, maybe someone who wants to get their kid an OT as they're first knife.

OklaMoose likes this.
  7. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    Picked up these two from wallyworld after Christmas over ten years ago. A box of them got lost in the stockroom. I only bought these two but should have bought the whole box at that price. Yes, they are still in the plastic.

[​IMG]

8. AndreLinoge

AndreLinoge

Nov 20, 2014
    Never even thought of how bad those clamshells age.. excellent point in itself to any collector.

9. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    I've purchased many that were new in the clampack. In the past I've always opened the plastic but kept the cardboard insert.
    If purchasing one now I might just keep it in the plastic, a way of showing that this knife has never been messed with by anyone.

One thing to be aware of, it may not be a permanent solution. The plastic turns yellow over time and becomes very brittle, making it difficult to maintain and awkward to store.

If you want an Old Timer for using, I would absolutely not buy a NIB example. These knives are now at least 15 years old and no more will be made ever. They are true collectibles in every sense of the word. If you want a user, you can buy lightly-used examples for cheap all day long.

OklaMoose likes this.
  10. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    The springs, in my experience, can become soft after time when stored with the blades in the part-open position.
    But at this point it's already been 15+ years so...

OklaMoose likes this.