USAF survival knife photo thread

Here is mine from 1980
9-13-13%2B095.JPG

9-13-13%2B098.JPG

My first real knife. Still a very useful addition to any kit.
9-13-13%2B099.JPG

Mine when I received it,

And after some love,

I have been working on it with just the included stone. It's getting there,

It is a great fieldcraft knife, and we're getting along fine,

One of the coolest knives out there. With so much history, I just love it.

Last edited:
Here's one of mine. A January 1969 Ontario, I believe that is the earliest of the Ontario JPSK's. It saw service in Vietnam, I got it from a RF-4C pilot when we were both stationed in Texas.

IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0123.jpg

This is one of the examples that got painted/dyed black. It never occurred to me to ask him about why it was done. At the time the black and original finished JPSK's were so common it was pretty much taken for granted. Even the original grey sealant was covered over. You can see from the sheath where it was sewn to a survival vest.

IMG_0126.jpg

sac troop,

I was going to post a link to the U.S. Militaria Bolt Knife thread. I know you were in there somewhere. These knives survived and thrived in a lot of places they were never intended to be.

Your 1969 knife struck a chord with me. I wrote this on another site last year when I received my Bolt Knife. I think it would fit well here.

Well way back in 1969, I stumbled across one of these on a shelf in my buddy's basement. At the time I was nine years old. To say it left an impression on me would be an understatement. Back then I had a hatchet and a belt knife. My pal was not into or allowed to have knives. But to me this thing was beyond cool! Aggressive lines, leather handle, bolt pommel, teeth, it was the stuff dreams were made of. And it came in a well used condition that made it even cooler.

It belonged to my buddy's Uncle who spent some time in Southeast Asia. He had a chopped Mode-T and was pretty much larger than life at that point in time. So I think that added to the knife's coolness factor. I was allowed to handle it a few times then it got put away. Probably smart, it was the "Only" thing in my life I ever contemplated stealing. But common sense prevailed. I realized even in my intoxicated state, that I was the only kid in the neighborhood with my drool all over it. Wouldn't be too hard to figure out where it went.

Fast forward to more recent times. In this world of uber high tech, high priced knives, with technical steels oozing out in every direction. My revered Bolt Knife has pretty much been left for dead.

People call it a throw away knife, cheap government crap, and other less than flattering names. I feel it doesn't get the respect it so richly deserves. (in my mind at least). So last week I took it upon myself to finally acquire one and actually put it through it's paces.

As delivered it reminds me of a slightly rough around the edges Ka-Bar. Your basic low budget military hardware. As of today it's going on my belt and getting some woods time. After some time to get acquainted with each other, I may modify it or I may leave it alone. It may break soon or last the rest of my life. I may love it or hate it. Only time will tell.

But right now I'm headed out the door with the coolest knife this nine year old ever handled.

Last edited:
Cool story, Thank you and all who posted.
As I said the U.S.A.F. survival knife was my first real knife. As a kid it was a symbol of freedom, of manhood.
I still like to take it out and get it dirty once in a wile.

Used mine for trapping for a long time. The washers rotted so i replaced them with curly maple.

It's great to see these great pieces that have brave thru so many missions and still looking good today. The leather really hold up well.

I was given my first U.S.A.F. Survival knife by my brother-in-law. It is special as he carried it during his time as an Electronic Warfare Officer on a B-52 during Vietnam. He retired with 7000 hours flying time. I also have the pilot chute that popped his main chute when he was last man out of a B-52 that caught fire over central California. His ejection seat failed to eject and he had to tuck and roll out of the opening left from a bottom ejection seat.

Cool story dsCampbell, seams like all cool knives have a cool story.
welcome to Bladeforums.

Hope no one minds, but I wanted to bring this thread back to post one of my favorite Ontarios.

PD0FvyU.jpg

seerp6h.jpg

Must confess, that is an older Camillus sheath. The Ontario sheath has the Camillus in it. Doesn't make much sense I know, but there it is.

Thanks, I agree! The butt is stamped "ONTARIO" over "5-94". It's been a user, maybe that made it look older? I'm not sure how to tell them apart myself. I did dye the handle black when I first got it. Seemed like the thing to do at the time but now I wish I had not.

This is my original issue from 1989. One of the few things I cannot see myself ever parting with. You can probably tell the point has been reprofiled several times due to wear, the swedge typically got filed sharp as well and of course, the top side of the guard was cut and ground. You'll find a lot of us did this so we could choke up on the blade. To be honest, I don't think any of us really considered this blade for self-defense but more as utility...it was and is a tool. Depending on your superior nearly all of us bought something more suited to defense...not that they were ever used mind you.

I was ordered to "retire" the tool when the pommel could no longer be counted on to stay put and the leading edge was ground enough times that the blade was about 3/8" shorter than OEM. I never did figure out what I did with the new blade that I was issued but I know this one will always have a place in either my or my son's home safe.

USAF1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

USAF2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I wont tell, :cool:
were are getting some nice well used& cared for tools here.

Is it Ok to post the actual version? If not, let me know and I will delete it.

Is it Ok to post the actual version? If not, let me know and I will delete it.

We're not the censoring type. If you have something to add to the conversation and you're following the rules of the community, we're on board.

Love the pics, everyone.

Back