Use of Stag on Boker-Made Henckels Knives

dsutton24

Gold Member
One of my interests is Henckels knives, particularly the Boker contract-made knives from '91 to '07. I've identified 28 different models and 20 scale options. I think... There doesn't seem to be a decent reference on these knives, so a lot if what I 'know' is based on model numbers from boxes that I think have never been separated from the knife, and some deduction.

Which brings me to Stag. Specifically, did Henckels (Boker) differentiate between Stag types?

The first group is easy, I think. These look like India Stag to me, and the model numbers use the -S suffix (HK-3-S and the like):

63aLuSf.png

The second group is a little less sure, but these look like European Stag to me, and the boxes carry the -Stag suffix:

xUI0EXw.png

The third group blows the whole theory out of the water. These are almost certainly India Stag, but the model numbers carry the -Stag suffix:

tKAcEHV.png

My best guess is that Boker used whatever they had on hand at the time, and weren't particular about how they labeled these things.

Also likely is that a lot of these knives are in the incorrect boxes. I bought a lot of these knives from a Henckels dealer years ago, and he didn't always get the knives into the right boxes. The apparent system in use those days was a little convoluted, and if a dealer didn't get it right, we mortals don't stand a chance.

Stag can be hard to identify sometimes. Maybe they're all India stag with natural variation.

Or, probably most likely, I'm just nuts.

Anyone have an idea whether these knives were manufactured with a variety of Stag, and if / how the different types were cataloged?

Another mystery, who wholesaled and retailed these knives? The dealer I bought these from is long dead, he was a great guy but can't help me now. The Smokey Mountain catalogs from the 90s don't list them. If anyone could point me toward catalogs from the era that would be great. Boker and Henckles are no help.

Whaddya think?

Last edited:
I'm no stag expert, but wondering if it might be the same variety of stag that's just finished differently. Maybe some was polished smoother on some models, rougher on others. Also a few might be bone ?? Some makers are good at making "stag bone" that isn't stag at all.

Sorry, But that's all I've got.

Nice knives, at any rate.

From what I have been able to tell, European makers use the generic term stag. Sometimes it is definitely sambar, and other times it looks a lot like European red deer. They may just use whatever they can get, especially now that the sambar supply has dried up.

Back