Used My Work Sharp Ken Onion for the First Time

I just received my Work Sharp Ken Onion. I set it at 17.5 degrees and sharpened my Wusthof 5-inch Santoku Knife. It is one of my wife's favorite little knives. I say anything for my wife to keep her from using a paring knife when she has small vegies to cut. It came with a bamboo long grain Wusthof cutting board that works fine. My understanding is as long as you don't use end grain bamboo cutting boards you will be OK. To me this knife is too small and light. I don't really like it. I prefer a Henckels 6-inch utility 4- or 5-star knife as I have both. I have a 6-inch Henckels chef's knife and that is not the same as the utility knife. I am not too crazy about the 6-inch Henckel chef's knife as it is too thick. I would rather jump to my 8-inch Wushof chef's knife if I need a small chef knife.

The Wusthof sharpening is a success and I am happy right now. I am sure as I use it more, I will learn more.

Last edited:
The Ken Onion does seem like a nice version of the Work Sharp. I have owned the first version now for 10 years or so. I think the Ken Onion is a better version. And I do like you can vary the sharpening angle easily.

I have a Work Sharp 3000 I use for my wood working tools. I broke my first 3000 and Work Sharp replaced it. They were real nice to work with.

Last edited:
I've just ordered my KOWS, Cant wait to get to work on it. I like using stones but it's too time consuming.

I've just ordered my KOWS, Cant wait to get to work on it. I like using stones but it's too time consuming.
It can give you a nice sharp edge in short order. I don’t think it’s quite as freaky sharp as a good freehand sharpening or a well done guided system, but it produces a good and quite sharp edge very quickly. Be very careful with the tip of the knife. Stop with the tip in the middle of the belt.

I am afraid of freehand sharpening. Work Sharp offers a freehand option for their Ken Onion sharpener. I like the guide system. What is the learning curve for freehand sharpening? How many knives do you mess up?

I'll look into this, I am always looking for a better way.

Out of curiosity what is wrong with using an end grain cutting board?

I'll look into this, I am always looking for a better way.

Out of curiosity what is wrong with using an end grain cutting board?

I think end grain maple is great. I read that end grain bamboo was hard on knife blades. I have been staying away from end grain bamboo. In fact, I have been staying away from all bamboo cutting boards until my Wusthof knife came with a Wusthof bamboo long grain cutting board.

I have a double dove tail knife block drawer in my bottom kitchen cabinets beside the stove where I keep lots of cutting boards. It is the full height of bottom kitchen cabinets so it is very large. Some of my cutting boards are 30 inches wide standing on end in the drawer. The double dove tail drawer slide is to handle the weight of all the cutting boards so the drawer can slide out easily.

Last edited:
Back