User or Collector?

JK Knives

Just wondering if you guys use your JK Knives, or just collect them. If you use them, what do you use them for?
Pictures are always appreciated.

There are knives to collect and knives to use and knives to collect and use.

I used to fancy myself as strictly a user of knives but the collection has grown to a point where I am perfectly comfortable having knives sit pretty in the case while I use others. Granted, my collection is largely comprised of traditional patterned slip joints but it is only seconded by my collection of fixed blades and every one of those gets used.

I have big plans for this Hudson Bay. I have a camp out planned at the end of this month and I hope for it to be the quintessential "camp" knife, as it was intended to be. There will be an enormous amount of cutlery at this camp out but the Hudson Bay should be put through it paces. It will be cutting meat, potatoes, kindling, etc. It should have one heck of a patina developing when I return home.

And yes, I will be sure to take some pictures. :D

Mostly a collector (and I have MANY JK’s) but I also have a handful of users. Too many knives and not enough play time is my problem!

Jeff

I think you should add "accumulator" as a category...while every JK I have was acquired with the intent of using or giving to someone to use, there just seems to be this strange limit to how many knives you can own and how many you can actually use. I tend to rotate, and have certain knives for certain tasks (example is the Kepharts just seem to be the perfect campers, riverwoods for fishing, R9 just to be cool and have fun).

Some day, my free time will be more closely matched to my blade count, and they will all get used equally!

m5xHTCZ.jpg

I use mine a wee bit. It’s still pretty new, but the patina that’s starting to form is from splitting kindling, feathering fatwood, cutting 4 lbs of sirloin for my St. Patrick’s Day Guinness stew, slicing chicken on the grill, cutting onions....

Definitely a user.

AicRXEN.jpg

HLFec3n.jpg

JNaIfWS.jpg

My RWC and Rule 9 get used in the kitchen almost daily. I pocket carry the small custom you just made me and the Hurley rides with me in my backpack daily.
I gifted my EDC semi-wharn to a fellow BFC member and I know that it gets put to good use.

Last edited:
Well, at this point I guess accumulater would be the best description (thanks for the right word Sturubu)

None of my JK's are in new condition but to be honest I don't use the big ones much.
Not much anymore anyway.

Mostly I just carry a folder of some sort
for everyday use (now that I live in town) but every now and then the need for a good belt knife comes along...

I'm a user when it comes to my JK Knives. My Bluegill is in my pocket almost daily. It cuts whatever needs to be cut but most of the time it is food at work. Fruit mostly, but if I bring a pork chop or something for lunch that will fall prey, too. It has seen visqueen, strong, cardboard, paper, and plastic strapping, as well.

20190404-120631-2.jpg

My Pocket Chef sees a lot of food prep around the house as well as cocktail duty.

ichKlyJ.jpg

I try to use 'em all but given how many I have there's a limit to how much I can use any individual blade. But every trip out I take along a JK.

I am collecting now, but on the verge of becoming a user of them.

I don't have much use for fixed blades in my every day activities, so more of a collector than a user of my JK's.

IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0282.JPG

Here are two more of my JKs, just for pretty, also posted them in the coffee and knives section. So I say I'm a collector at the moment, on way to be a user, maybe this summer.

Last edited:
I don’t recognize the larger one, might be a one off.
I got it from you I believe last year, the perfect size for camping and not too big. And I like big knives but lately getting more into more practical sizes.

Back