uses for a wharncliffe style blade

was wondering what the specific purpose of such a blade was and if a wharncliffe style blade would have a place as a surivival knife.

One of the most useful shapes IMO. Especially for utility type jobs. I'm sure there are guys who use it for Survival. But IMO, a spearpoint is best in the woods.

i love the wharncliffe blade..for utility work. and i'll use and abuse this mercilessly in construction venues.. the case seahorse whittler is a great folding knife for this purpose (if prices hadn't jumped up so much for this!). a big, sturdy straight edge, with long point. use it as an awl, for cutting materials (tar paper, carpet etc), and i even destroyed one (but it was the best tool for it!) having to remove some mortar that ended up where i shouldn't have been... so much for the point after that. nothing else is quite like it...i love the long straight edge!

I started using a wharncliffe around the kitchen and love it.
For survival situations, it would work. There are better choices as (IMO) a wharncliffe isn't the best skinner out there.

I have a small wharnie necker that is a wicked carver, zips through rope and cord like butter, opens trail food packages quick and easy, great for food prep, and I've even batonned with it. I'd say it fits the bill for a great camp/trail utility blade.

Great for slipping into a Tyrap and cutting it loose. Great mechanics knife.:thumbup:

The purpose of a wharncliffe knife is simply to cut. They're excellent cutters and are typically made to be very sturdy. A wharncliffe isn't going to chop wood like a khuk will, handle game as well as some other knives, or work as a saw.

Good for food prep tasks and as a good opener.

Nice looking blade shape too!

if you think about it, there are several similar shapes that are known to be good for specific uses- like a rigging knife or a garnish knife.

I been thinking a lot lately about a middling big nessmuk and a smaller wharncliffe in a buddy sheath. Seems like they would complement each other well

Wharncliffe blades are superb general utility shapes for handymen. Look at the Stanley blade for exmaple. Now imagine how much more useful one like that with a lot more straight edge would be. Thats the Wharncliffe.

I've carried a Wharny primarily for many years now. I find whenever I try to go with other styles that I always drift back rather quickly to one of my wharny blades. Everything from whittling on the back porch to cutting open boxes and tape is easier with the Wharncliffe. I have even skinned out and field dressed with them in a pinch.

As a second I'd take a good spear point or one of Spydercos 'leaf shaped' blades anyday of the week though.

STR

What I really wonder is why slip-joints more often have a clip-point primary blade than a wharncliffe. As far as my limited understanding goes, clip-points are best used for stabbing, and I wouldn't expect a slip-joint to be the tool of choice for stabbing duty...or even skinning. So why all the clip-points?

I'd love to see a production wharncliffe barlow, but nobody makes 'em. Sometimes you can get a spear-point, but these days at least they mostly come with clippies. Boooo.

I got one of the Kershaw Needs Work folders a few weeks ago and I like the wharncliffe blade a lot. It's great for utility knife-type chores-- cuttin' boxes, slicing, etc. I've been waiting for a bargain on a Boker Wharcom too.

BTW, that knife came scary sharp and it's easy to touch up. It's a nice folder for ~$30-35. My only misgiving is I can't swap the clip to my left-handed liking.

I bought the Case Mini-Trapper, with the wharncliffe second blade. Best pocket knife I own,even if its purple. Seriously, take a look at this one.

Because its the easiest to drill with.

Yup ! That's why I like my Ka-Bar....
JohnDean077.jpg

Am I correct in guessing that a wharncliffe blade is a bit easier to sharpen freehand? I've never paid much attention to wharncliffes, but I've been thinking about taking a look around and maybe picking up something fairly cheap like a CRKT Dogfish to try one out.

the case seahorse whittler is a great folding knife for this purpose (if prices hadn't jumped up so much for this!).!

Just snagged one myself for $40 shipped. Great whittler.

I'd love to see a production wharncliffe barlow, but nobody makes 'em. Sometimes you can get a spear-point, but these days at least they mostly come with clippies. Boooo.

Weidmannsheil tricklock. Don't believe the seller hype on Weidmannsheils no longer being made. They are good knives and recently produced by Parker/Bulldog.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weidmannsheil-G...oryZ1403QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back