Uses for Cadet file

Hi folks,

I carried an alox Soldier for many years, and then I moved away from it. I'm now looking at of course the Pioneer, but also the Cadet. I love the Pioneer, but the location of the keyring nub bothers me a bit. The keyring nub on the Cadet seems a little more comfortable. I can live without an awl, but I'm wondering what I can do with the file. I'm not really a nail file kind of guy. What other useful things have y'all used the file for that can't be done with the other tools that are also on the Cadet? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

The tip works on small phillips head screws, and the square edges strike a good spark from the small ferro rod I carry in my wallet.
In addition the file works well my nails!

I don't think that design of file is much good for anything other than fingernails or soft material.

If you like shredded fingernails and fingernail dust it is superb at doing that.

The point of the file is also good at getting into a crevasse to clean out debris

If you like shredded fingernails and fingernail dust it is superb at doing that.
Any fingernail file will cause "dust" but I think I like the pebbled file more than the file on my recently acquired Executive, at least for manicuring my nails.

Any fingernail file will cause "dust" but I think I like the pebbled file more than the file on my recently acquired Executive, at least for manicuring my nails.

That's why I use clippers.

It is good for digging out tight areas when cleaning something. It is good for filing plastic or wooden parts. It will work on some phillips screws. Personally, I would prefer a reamer or scissors, especially scissors. We need a Cadet X.

Its all in the pressure you use. With a light touch, it leaves a very smooth nail edge. I've used both the pebbled file on the classic and the cut file on the executive and they both do a good job if you don't act like you're trying to fit an ax handle to the head.

I've also used the nail file to smooth out a rough edge on some plastic shooting glasses we bought for our granddaughter to use at the range. They had a bit of rough like over molding on the nose part, and the SAK nail file took it right off.

It also helps to file the tip just a little flat so it fits down in the Phillips head a bit better.

And like mentions, it make a great dining/poking/probing tool.

I would like to see the Cadet with an awl or small pen blade (but especially an awl) instead of the nail file. Basically, a smaller, thinner Pioneer.

Jim

Back