Uses of a Kiridashi

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Heck what is one! :eek: :D

Kiridashi roughly translates to "pointed knife" in English. They are a very simple design with a much different edge orientation than most knives and lots of leverage at the edge and tip.

Kiridashis started off as a traditional Japanese knife often used by school children for cutting paper, sharpening pencils and cutting bamboo for art projects. They are also traditionally used for pruning small trees and bonsai. I use mine for all kinds of tasks!

Uses of a Kiridashi
Opening boxes - they have great control at the tip compared to most knives
Scoring leather or wood- lots more power at the tip and edge than most knives
cutting cord
grafting
seam ripping
general cutting
gardening
splinter removal
cutting zip ties
light prying
self defense
survival tool - even make feather sticks
useful in multi grips
great for a tactical vest or belt - compact and tough
chiseling/planing wood
de-burring holes
drilling holes

The pommel is great crushing small stuff like nuts, it could also be used like a kubaton for self defense even if left in the sheath.

They are great pocket knives or pack knives, the shorter length makes them handy to keep one everywhere. I carry mine everywhere I can. I make mine very sturdy so they can pry in a pinch. They are very easy to field sharpen or sharpen at home.

I think the best points are the power and control at the tip and blade, with a reverse grip and a pull cut they glide through the toughest material like leather. They can be held with a regular grip, reverse grip, tip up or down, in palm or full grip. The angled pommel on mine fits well in the palm or gives a great place to place the thumb for leverage.

Link with some discussion about kiridashi uses http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/879786-Coyote-Brown-Kiridashi?highlight=kiridashi

Last edited:
Great post, it's very informative. I don't yet own a kiridashi because I've always preferred a knife with a longer blade to handle ratio but I may have to rethink my stance.

They are more useful than you think. Most cutting jobs don't really take much blade lenthwise.

They are great work knives . super tough. Even with the paracord wrap and tactical look I find most people don't freak out at the sight of them . If they do start to freak out , telling them about the history of them usually chills them out.

The next slang term for leaving..... I'm kiridashi, G.
:D

Back