Uses of dagger blades? Share your dagger pics (fixed, OTFs, historical, etc.)

Very nice knives. I would pack one as EDC without hesitation. Although the stock looks rather thick. I doubt they could be great cutters. And, at the risk of getting pedantic, I would object they are not exactly daggers but symetrical knives with a sharp edge and a long swedge. Just like the Sgian Dubh is a (single edged) knife despite the daggery look and feel. This one has a thin blade so it's a very efficient cutter :

Well, we're off into the "knife philosophy" weed patch already I suppose, so there's little harm if I muck things up some more!

Knives are a sub-set of "tools for cutting things", including axes, bolt shears, scissors, and so on. The dagger is simply a cutting tool for specific situations, just as the scissors would be a very frustrating axe, and the bolt shears would not do a good job at opening envelopes.

But we humans don't seem to be able to separate knives from the ethical questions surrounding their uses, leading to those posts where I rage about the Jagdkommando being called a "DANGEROUS KNIFE"!

Where was I? Oh. Right. Such is the concern with daggers being somehow more "dangerous" than the unassuming kitchen knife, that special laws have been made regarding their purchase, ownership, and transport. So, they're less than ideal to use, and problematic to carry with you. But I would be willing to bet that some secret part of every person's caveman brain is somehow comforted by the presence of a sharp object on their person, just in case they find themselves in some scarcely-imagined "Serious Business".

It's not about the blade shape, it's about the Dumbo Feather: "I have it, if I need it".

(I would choose the Sgian Dubh).

I actually find dagger blade to be very good at slicing up card box or any push cutting task that requires the blade to go through thick materials. Especially the one with narrow blade, like Tilite(i know, it not really dagger).
It’s not just the thickness of the blade that causes resistance. The width too. The wider the blade, the more contact surface. Dagger blade is generally narrower so they pass thru material easier, just like how people use wire to cut cheese. The other thing is the cross section of the blade, think of both edges like the leading edge and the trailing edge of an airplane’s wing.

I disagree. I find a taller blade to be far more effective at push cutting stuff like cardboard. Less pinching.

Back