Using a KME Sharpener and DMT Diamond Stones.

I'm wanting to use the DMT Diamond Stones with my KME Sharpener but I'm not sure what DMT Stones fit the KME system can someone provide a link to the DMT Stones that fit the KME or do they all fit.

I have read many good thing's about the DMT Diamond Stones on this site and I was wondering what is different about them from a Lansky and KME Diamond stone where the Diamonds are soldered on according to Ron from KME,but when I looked at the DMT it looks like there's are a stone that is covered with a peace of sheet-metal with holes in it.

I got the dmt stones from the kme site----- they are the correct fit obviously.......

I got the dmt stones from the kme site----- they are the correct fit obviously.......

Maybe those are the stones Ron sells I thought they were more like the Lansky from the pics on his sight.

I was also wondering and forgot to ask what's the best way to deglaze a stone,I heard a long time ago to use 2000 grit Sand Paper and put it on something really flat,I'm asking this because I like to use the Ceramic and Natural stone's as well and I think some of mine have become glazed.

One of the nice things about the KME system, is the ability to have anyone's stone cut to fit their holder. You aren't limited to just what they sell, or other makers sell that are modified just for their stone holders. Just take your favorite stone type to a lapidary shop and have it cut to their dimensions. The KME is a great system in my opinion. If I was going to buy a guided type sharpener, it would be the KME, over the WE or the Edge Pro or others of that type.

Blessings,

Omar

Sorry, i missed your second question about de-glazing. I use bar keeper's friend and a scouring pad to really clean them when they get bad and simple green or dish soap after every use with a stiff bristle brush. If you are using oil, you will be cleaning it out every time you do this. The BKF is an abrasive cleaner with oxalic acid in it. Works great to dissolve the metal stuck in the stone. It'll work on both the arks and the ceramics. 600 grit sand paper with plenty of water works well on the arks for flattening them and refinishing them if they haven't been cleaned in decades. Be careful with sanding down the ceramics. They have a very hard binder and can take on the grit finish more so than natural stones and you might end up with some ultra fines. which is great if you buy the spyderco fine pocket stone and refinish one side to ultra fine, then cut an inch off the end and get a doublestuff and do the same. You can never have too many stones.

Last edited:
Maybe those are the stones Ron sells I thought they were more like the Lansky from the pics on his sight.

I was also wondering and forgot to ask what's the best way to deglaze a stone,I heard a long time ago to use 2000 grit Sand Paper and put it on something really flat,I'm asking this because I like to use the Ceramic and Natural stone's as well and I think some of mine have become glazed.

The dmt stones are the ones that come with the kit

One of the nice things about the KME system, is the ability to have anyone's stone cut to fit their holder. You aren't limited to just what they sell, or other makers sell that are modified just for their stone holders. Just take your favorite stone type to a lapidary shop and have it cut to their dimensions. The KME is a great system in my opinion. If I was going to buy a guided type sharpener, it would be the KME, over the WE or the Edge Pro or others of that type.

There are blanks available for both the WE and the EP , there are many people who cut stones for both these systems. Have it cut to fit , use some water resistant spray adhesive on a blank and your good to go.

Back