How To Using hydrogen peroxide to change a knife color

I have previously posted about how to use a 6% hydrogen peroxide solution to change the color of bone. I thought I would show you guys another example.

So here is the previous example. I had a muddy-looking Cougar clawed bone 74 that I didn’t care for, and I used the hydrogen peroxide to take the color out. I dyed this one red using RIT dye, using the standard dye method of immersing it in a liquid solution.

QXUgMVy.jpg

At Christmas I bought a bunch of 92s intending to give them out as Christmas presents to family. But one was a funny color and I decided to fix it up before gifting them, when I got some spare time. Well now I do.

dojvL2i.jpg

You can see how the 92 on the right is a muddy brown. Now I should also say, it is almost impossible to take a good picture of a knife that you don’t like the color of, in a way that makes it look unattractive. The camera picks out all the nicer hues and amplifies them. So you have to take my word for it!

I should also add that I am loathe to change a knife’s color if it has character. I have plenty of less-than perfect knives that I wouldn’t want to change. It’s not always about aiming for perfection. This one just had a shade I couldn’t come to terms with.

NYVKCdg.jpg

So the bleaching process itself is very simple. You will find a lot of information about bleaching bone online if you search for it. Some people love it as a hobby. Luckily for us they have done all the research.

So you buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% or 6% solution and pour it into a plastic container. If your bottle is big enough you can just drop the knife straight in. Then you watch and wait.

HvVCs6Z.jpg

PMu0oek.jpg

The original dye will gradually bleach out - I left this overnight but your time will vary based on temperature.

In my experience the hydrogen peroxide causes no rust or pepper spots on the steel, but does cause the bolsters to tarnish (see pics) - which can be easily polished out. It is a little scary to leave the knife lying in what looks like water overnight!

I do not know for sure if the hydrogen peroxide weakens the bone. My research suggests it could, but only if you leave the knife soaking for too long, and in any event much less so than household bleach does.

I left this particular knife overnight. Here is the result and another knife to compare it against.

d7ciAmh.jpg

s8j8o2w.jpg

LDXrJma.jpg

I decided not to try and bleach out all of the color, as it is nice to have some variation.

After bleaching, the bone is left without the shiny gloss finish that you can see in the original photo. It’s also a little chalky to look at, and to feel. Compare it against a pocket carver and the difference is very noticeable.

S0Hs8FL.jpg

Based on my experience with the #74, I think that the dyeing process - perhaps the oil afterward - will restore the glossy finish. I don’t yet know for sure as the #74 had a jigged finish. If I was to leave this knife white I would experiment with polishing it and soaking it in mineral oil to bring up some gloss.

Now the next step is dye (or oil if I were to leave it white). I don’t yet know if I will go with a similar golden color or try for something else - like orange. I will post back when I have decided. Dyeing it using RIT dye in a bath is a lot more risky in terms of staining the blades and backsprings. I think a thoroughly dissolved dye is important to reducing spotting, but there is no guarantee.

Last edited:
Don’t worry John. Those ones aren’t going to see the bleach! I like them too. They remind me of a speckled hen.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm curious what, if anything, does the hydrogen peroxide do to the integrity of the bone? I've used bleach (I understand that bleach isn't hydrogen peroxide) to whiten animal skulls and bones and it seems to soften and weaken them. If left in too long, they basically dissolve when removed from the bleach.

I have previously posted about how to use a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to change the color of bone. I thought I would show you guys another example.

So here is the previous example. I had a muddy-looking Cougar clawed bone 74 that I didn’t care for, and I used the hydrogen peroxide to take the color out. I dyed this one red using RIT dye, using the standard dye method of immersing it in a liquid solution.

QXUgMVy.jpg

At Christmas I bought a bunch of 92s intending to give them out as Christmas presents to family. But one was a funny color and I decided to fix it up before gifting them, when I got some spare time. Well now I do.

dojvL2i.jpg

You can see how the 92 on the right is a muddy brown. Now I should also say, it is almost impossible to take a good picture of a knife that you don’t like the color of, in a way that makes it look unattractive. The camera picks out all the nicer hues and amplifies them. So you have to take my word for it!

I should also add that I am loathe to change a knife’s color if it has character. I have plenty of less-than perfect knives that I wouldn’t want to change. It’s not always about aiming for perfection. This one just had a shade I couldn’t come to terms with.

NYVKCdg.jpg

So the bleaching process itself is very simple. You will find a lot of information about bleaching bone online if you search for it. Some people love it as a hobby. Luckily for us they have done all the research.

So you buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% solution and pour it into a plastic container. If your bottle is big enough you can just drop the knife straight in. Then you watch and wait.

HvVCs6Z.jpg

PMu0oek.jpg

The original dye will gradually bleach out - I left this overnight but your time will vary based on temperature.

In my experience the hydrogen peroxide causes no rust or pepper spots on the steel, but does cause the bolsters to tarnish (see pics) - which can be easily polished out. It is a little scary to leave the knife lying in what looks like water overnight!

I do not know for sure if the hydrogen peroxide weakens the bone. My research suggests it could, but only if you leave the knife soaking for too long, and in any event much less so than household bleach does.

I left this particular knife overnight. Here is the result and another knife to compare it against.

d7ciAmh.jpg

s8j8o2w.jpg

LDXrJma.jpg

I decided not to try and bleach out all of the color, as it is nice to have some variation.

After bleaching, the bone is left without the shiny gloss finish that you can see in the original photo. It’s also a little chalky to look at, and to feel. Compare it against a pocket carver and the difference is very noticeable.

S0Hs8FL.jpg

Based on my experience with the #74, I think that the dyeing process - perhaps the oil afterward - will restore the glossy finish. I don’t yet know for sure as the #74 had a jigged finish. If I was to leave this knife white I would experiment with polishing it and soaking it in mineral oil to bring up some gloss.

Now the next step is dye (or oil if I were to leave it white). I don’t yet know if I will go with a similar golden color or try for something else - like orange. I will post back when I have decided. Dyeing it using RIT dye in a bath is a lot more risky in terms of staining the blades and backsprings. I think a thoroughly dissolved dye is important to reducing spotting, but there is no guarantee.
An interesting and informative write-up. Thanks for posting.
I think the dullness you witness after the bleaching is a result of disturbing/removing the factory buffing.

Thanks for sharing this. I've played with Rit dye on bone knives with good results but had no idea that the original dye could be removed. This is a game changer for me, I think I'll have to give it a go.:) Btw I love the way that red dye looks on your 74 with the cougar claw jigging.:thumbsup:

I have previously posted about how to use a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to change the color of bone. I thought I would show you guys another example.

QXUgMVy.jpg

dojvL2i.jpg

NYVKCdg.jpg

So you buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% solution and pour it into a plastic container. If your bottle is big enough you can just drop the knife straight in. Then you watch and wait.

HvVCs6Z.jpg

PMu0oek.jpg

d7ciAmh.jpg

s8j8o2w.jpg

LDXrJma.jpg

S0Hs8FL.jpg

Didn't seem to hurt the bolsters or the carbon steel blades. Care to comment on the effect peroxide has, if any, on the metallurgy of a knife?

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Very interesting, though if you ask for hydrogen peroxide round these parts you're likely to get a visit from the Old Bill! :eek: ;)

The effect of the hydrogen peroxide on the structural integrity of the bone is unknown to me. I can only go off my own online research, where people who collect animal bones (yes there is such a hobby!) do discuss the method and seem to use it successfully.

Basically I don’t think an overnight bath is long enough to affect it. Plus I don’t think the bone is under much stress anyway, as it is already shaped and pinned in place.

Certainly my #74 has shown no adverse affect.

As far as I can see, the hydrogen peroxide has zero impact on the steel. If you are interested in testing, perhaps find an old knife (e.g. with a snapped blade) for experimenting with.

Jack Black Jack Black the thought has crossed my mind! Although with your knife laws, just buying a knife is probably equally problematic.

Thanks for sharing this. I have a 92 of my own that I may just try this on. Just need to figure out what color dye to use once it is bleached out. Well done!

Found this interesting as it underlines the vagaries of personal taste ;) The one you bleached I liked:D The one to its left looked anaemic and blotchy to my eye :) I also agree with John DF, your wording-on the right- made me think it was the Calico you were going after:eek:

Yes I'm certainly interested in this but it could be rather drastic, it has to alter the surface of the bone to bleach out the colour and you said it looks rather chalky but does it feel chalky too? If so, I'd be a bit concerned, we'll have to see if it promotes cracking around the pins or shrink. However, being Camel Bone it might be tougher than Bovine? Have you thought about Potash for re-dyeing? It can give a nice toffee colour.

Looking forward to updates.

I knew someone would say they liked it before Will Power Will Power ! I was kicking myself for not taking more ‘before’ photos to highlight its ugliness!

Anyway here is the one you don’t like in all its anaemic glory.

VG5d3GC.jpg

As for the chalkiness. Here is another shot to highlight the surface. It feels and looks matt like a blackboard (only whiter!). I am not concerned though, I think bone is like this in its natural state - and I also think it will come up really good with some dye and some TLC.

JQEiAcw.jpg

Potash sounds interesting. Coincidently I was just watching a youtube vid about using potash in the garden - but I think you mean some type of potassium?

I am leaning toward orange. I really like the dark orange/toffee of the American Whittler #29 (if anyone has a spare one for quality checking purposes?)

Yes I meant potassium permanganate the purple stuff:D

Still not withdrawing my anaemic remarks ;) but have you thought of polishing/oiling it as it is? Looks pretty fine in that Ivory state and great ageing potential if left un dyed?

Ok I gave it some orange and brown RIT dye and here is the outcome

[EDIT see page 2 for updated pics. Thought I’d leave these up to show the full process]

vrZvvyL.jpg

4sydpTe.jpg

Bqoj0KT.jpg

oYDcYiy.jpg

Overall I am satisfied with the color, it’s an improvement. However the RIT dye process did leave a couple of small blemishes on the steel - even though I taped up all the exposed parts. Just shows how careful you have to be and how risky it is. The camel bone was also trickier to dye than cow bone - I wasn’t surprised to see some color variation, especially on the pile side, as I knew I would have difficulty getting it even.

The lustre has returned to the bone but I would describe it as satin, whereas the goldenrod knives I would say are gloss. I am not sure if I can improve this but I will give it a go.

Last edited:
Back