Using The BK62. 11th Anniversary Stint

The Warrior

๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ธโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ชโ€Œ ๐Ÿ‡ปโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฐโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฌโ€Œ
Went down south for our 11th wedding anniversary. Came back early due to the weather, but still had a good time. Didn't get to use the BK62 as much as I was hoping to, but got to use it a bit anyways. Not one sunny day for a good photo op, but did my best.

We had about 10" of snow when we left home. There was less on the ground as we went further south, then, in Missouri, ran into some nice looking stuff:

We got closer to the cabin, and there wasn't near as much there. Here's the lane going to the cabin. The snow was already melted off:

Driveway:

Start the day off right:

We got there about 2 in the afternoon, and didn't do too much. Kind of cold to be outside for long periods of time. Had burgers that night, watched a movie, and called it a day:

Tuesday, day 2. You can see the light snow and the river:

Time to break out the BK62:

Made a feather stick. Not my best by far, but the stick had a knot on it, so I only feathered one side:

Made another. That's more like it:

Not the best photo, but I was enjoying all the grips you can get with the handle shaped the way it is. I really like it...a lot:

Some small feathers/curls:

Meanwhile, back inside, the wife used the 62 to cut up some bacon:

to be cont...

Time for the potatoes:

Worst bacon I've ever eaten:

I forgot all about the little kettle I bought for my wife, for hiking. Cool kettle. Cheap too. Has the screen in it for steeping:

We went into town for some supplies, and different bacon, haha. We stopped at this restaurant/bakery/candy store we've been meaning to stop at. They had some right out of the oven cinnamon rolls. Couldn't help but to get a couple, although one would have been enough. Three dollars and ninety five cents of gigantic gooey goodness. I opted for cream cheese icing on mine. Damn was it ever rich. You guys know I have huge hands:

Stopped at DG, and they had these cool little whiskey glasses for 3 bucks. Went ahead and bought some to keep at the cabin:

May as well put them to good use. Scotch, and a decent mango cigar:

That evening, the wife decided to make spaghetti for supper. Crappy out,so we opted to cook the sweet Italian sausages from the fire in the woodstove:

Grease catch, haha. Paper plate, napkin, and an old tshirt for good measure:

Time to cut them up. Wife already minced the garlic with the 62, but I didn't get photos:

Used the can opener from her Vic Camper to open up the paste/sauce:

to be cont...

The wife makes killer spaghetti:

I know you guys have seen this, but can't help but take photos of it. Her portable espresso maker, with Sambuca:

BK15, and BK62:

Day 3, Wednesday. The weather was decent, with a high of 45 that day, and decided to get a fire going. Going to be an easy fire. Start with and empty charcoal bag:

Often, when it's nice and dry, we collect sticks for kindling, to be used later on. Makes it especially nice to have ready when we get there in the winter, for the woodstove. Feathers from yesterday on top:

Do a little batonning with the 62. Do not adjust your screen, my beard is getting that long, and grey, haha. Got the Santa Claus thang going on. The red shirt helps with the effect:

Don't worry, I put a board under it:

Result. Went through oak with little effort. Although it works well, I probably won't be using this blade for batonning much. Not that it isn't completely capable, just a personal preference:

Light her up:

Some green flames from the ink:

to be cont...

Round 2 of the cinnamon roll. Took me 3 attempts:

Walked down to the river. Won't bore you with photos, but this plant, whatever it is, is still green as can be:

Back up by the fire, where we spent the entire day. Got a new Mother in before we left:

I like the blue patina forming. You can see where the batonning knocked it off to the right:

Wife's coffee kit for hiking. Portable grinder, and GSI press:

6 and 62:

End the night with more whiskey, and my favorite cigar, the Isla Del Sol:

Day 4, Thursday. I got a power bank for Christmas from the wife. Took it with us, to test it out a bit. Charged up my phone:

Started at 7:09 am, with a 10% charge. You can see where it says it will be charged in an hour and 48 minutes, but in reality it took 2 hours and 10 minutes. Still respectable. I was able to charge my phone twice, the wife's phone once, and the overhead light twice, and still had 2 of the 4 bars left over. Very happy with this thing. It claims 5-6 phone charges, and I believe it'll do it:

Foggy morning:

More bacon, more potatoes. We eat that for breakfast often there, as it's an easy meal. Plus, face it, I love bacon and potatoes, who doesn't?

Sat by a fire that evening again. It rained the night before, into the morning hours. Another advantage of having dry kindling available.

Had this ready in case of a surprise zombie apocalypse:

Obligatory fire shot:

to be cont...

Rum and Coke this evening. Another Isla Del Sol, and the BK6:

Day 5, Friday. We were going to stay until Saturday sometime, but, like I said, decided to leave early because of the supposed blizzard that never happened.

Still overcast, as it was the entire week:

Breakfast of champions, Pepsi, and a cigar:

We had a lot of fun, but was hoping the weather would have been better. Still a great time, plus, I got to use the BK62. Love that blade.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Wow!! Great pics. Im hungry now!!
Congratulations on your anniversary :)

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

What pictures I can see look great but most require me to sign into Fotki (???) to view.

Great pics !!! Thanks for sharing ... looks like a good time ... sometimes when the weathers bad those fire making skills are one of the best parts of the trip.

The 62 looks really good !

Looks like a great time...... Congratulations!...... I hope you two have an even better next couple of decades!

All best...
E
Thanks Ethan, appreciate that very much. Sure was fun using the 62. Thanks for giving us all the opportunity to own/use one.

What pictures I can see look great but most require me to sign into Fotki (???) to view.
I do use Fotki, but have never heard of anyone having that problem.

Glad you and the Mrs. had a great time - including the BK-62.
Thanks man, appreciate it.

Great pics !!! Thanks for sharing ... looks like a good time ... sometimes when the weathers bad those fire making skills are one of the best parts of the trip.

The 62 looks really good !
Thanks man. The fire is always a big deal to me. I was going to break out the flint striker, and use the 62 to scrape some cedar bark, but sometimes I get lazy, and a Bic is the way to go, haha.

thanks for bringing us along and happy anniversary!

Great thread, great pics, and great use of the 62. Most important, congrats on your 11th anniversary. Many more years of happiness, health, and love.

One question I gotta ask, why was the bacon bad? Something must have been really wrong for the bacon to be bad. By nature, bacon = goodness. Lol

Great thread, great pics, and great use of the 62. Most important, congrats on your 11th anniversary. Many more years of happiness, health, and love.

One question I gotta ask, why was the bacon bad? Something must have been really wrong for the bacon to be bad. By nature, bacon = goodness. Lol

The bacon is the usual bacon we get, from the same store. Not really sure, but it didn't taste right. No salty flavor at all. As a matter of fact, it didn't even taste like bacon at all.

maybe you accidentally bought a package of "uncured" bacon?
Not sure man. I just asked her, and she said she picked it up in the same section she always does. She said it was just bad, like it was old or something.

Back