Using your knives in the kitchen.

I really enjoy cooking, and with that we eat out very seldom. Lot's of fresh and raw requiring a fair amount of prep.

Dedicated knives for at-home kitchen work. Might use a pocketed folder to free something from it's wrapper in the pantry but on the board it's primarily these tools.

Shun.jpg

The belt knife has some fun as well - usually when it's time to eat.
Ribs.jpg

I worked professionally as a chef for 13 years. I never use any of my non kitchen knives in the kitchen. I have kitchen knives for that. Out of the kitchen I may use a folder for something related to food, but even when I go on trips I usually take my knife roll so I have the knives I need to cook.

I use a custom B&T in 52100 from Daado on this forum most of the time. Got a really nice patina on it.--KV

I whole heartedly believe that your knives are your knives to use as you see fit, regardless of what others think. I also believe that folding pocket knives have as much use in the kitchen as a kitchen knife has on a construction site.

A better way to put it would be some knife designs are more efficient than others at certain tasks. Whether a knife is a fixed blade or a folding design is kind of irrelevant in terms of how the knife functions when cutting material. A folder in the 3-4 inch range like a Spyderco Endura will work just as well as any paring knife in terms of cutting in hand. The food doesn't care that its a folding knife instead of a paring knife. The blade will slice through. Comparing it to a Chef's knife in terms of practical utility, however, is another story. But any edged tool will cut food. In that sense, it is useful in the kitchen as long as you have the right blade size for the task. Whether any specific knife is more efficient than another at any given task is the main consideration when practicality comes to mind. A chefs knife at a construction site is not a practical option. But it still could cut things. It doesn't lose its utility because its at a construction site.

I use a Spyderco Sprig which works really well in the kitchen for me. Stay sharp forever. BluntCut has a 10V Petty in the works for me so I should be set after that
Same here. Sprig works great in the kitchen. Most of the time I just use my kitchen cutlery. I rarely, if ever, use folders for food prep.
XAFrndA.jpg

I mostly use my kitchen knives in the kitchen. Currently a Warther 9" French Chef, Trillium paring knife from North arm and 5" Victorinox Fibrox that my fiancee favors.

Got the Santoku from Amazon today.-- 7 inch blade from dalstrong. Claims to have an 8 inch edge bevel on it--probably more like 12-15. Blade is very very thing to begin with. VG10 steel. Tried cutting up some carrots and stuff for lunch today as I am working remote. It's ok I guess.

Still think the Spyderco cuts better as a knife but I can see the benefit of a dedicated kitchen knife for heavy work. IMO I always thought kitchen knives were too big and unwieldy for just cutting soft materials in food prep. But they are what they are for a reason. I just never found the reason personally. I have more of a caveman style -- cut it up, cook it, eat it. Salads dont have to look pristine and if the tomatoes and cucumbers get mangled and arent sliced symmetrically, I wont lose sleep over it. If it tastes good, I'm cool. The way I look at it, food will always make its way to the same place in the end- into the toilet and out to the sewage plant. Never found it worth the fuss to make a big deal about specific prep methods.

An 8” Wusthof Chef’s Knife is my most used kitchen knife. It’s woeth every penny!

I cook every day. I use my kitchen knives every day. Of them I generally use my 10 inch carbon K Sabatier and perhaps one of my boning knives or a fillet knife. Sometimes a paring knife or a petty for simple short tasks.

Those things are made to be used in the kitchen, they work well in the kitchen. The only exception I have is a carbon steel Opinel #8 that I use for slashing bread dough, as I don't currently have a lame. That same Opinel comes with me whenever I travel for food prep, and will be replaced with a #10 soon.

I have used my other knives in the kitchen before, or when out camping for kitchen duties and I find them to generally be cumbersome and ill suited for the work making them less safe than 'real' kitchen knives.

The knives I use multiple times a day, for hours a day, every day, are generally plain carbon steel or whatever stainless F Dick uses. I sharpen as needed and steel before and/or after every cutting session. I'm pretty sure an 8Elmax4CR20-XHP-74VPM blade would be lost on me in regards to kitchen duties.

I have kitchen knives for the kitchen. A 8 inch miyabi chef's knife and a 3.5 inch paring knife do most of the work. I have a few 2 man henckels that I added to the henckels set I received as a wedding gift.

My folders get used for Apples, cheese, summer sausage, etc when I'm at work or in the outdoors.

I do use my edc knives in the kitchen sometimes. Not because they work better, because they don't, but because I just want to use a knife that I just got or I'm stoked about. Also, I am just flat out scared of what getting into kitchen knives would do to my bank account. :D
This one is dedicated to the kitchen. It started its life as a Dexter leather / shoe knife.
20506126428_6fcc7666a9_h.jpg

I really enjoy cooking, and with that we eat out very seldom. Lot's of fresh and raw requiring a fair amount of prep.

Dedicated knives for at-home kitchen work. Might use a pocketed folder to free something from it's wrapper in the pantry but on the board it's primarily these tools.

View attachment 839423

The belt knife has some fun as well - usually when it's time to eat.
View attachment 839424
Hey, Eagle Scout
What's up with the top knife in your first pic? Does it have a special purpose?

IMO I always thought kitchen knives were too big and unwieldy for just cutting soft materials in food prep. But they are what they are for a reason. I just never found the reason personally.

Depends on your sharpening ability, your practiced knife skills, and since kitchen knives are specifically designed as tools, understanding which knife to use. That being said, you don't need a knife block full.

BTW, my 8", flat ground chef's knife will easily cut about 8 slices out of a grape sized tomato with no squishing. Sharp is sharp, and I can cut micro thin slices of garlic for decoration, and do the fine cutting on my fresh herbs with no problem.

I have more of a caveman style -- cut it up, cook it, eat it. Salads dont have to look pristine and if the tomatoes and cucumbers get mangled and arent sliced symmetrically, I wont lose sleep over it. If it tastes good, I'm cool. The way I look at it, food will always make its way to the same place in the end- into the toilet and out to the sewage plant. Never found it worth the fuss to make a big deal about specific prep methods.

Certainly no reason to put any money into kitchen knives for you! I enjoy the skill and craftsmanship needed to put out a nice meal, and even appreciate a floursh of artistry on occasion. I cook constantly for family and friends.

Your comment on the ultimate trip to the sewage plane reminded me of something I hadn't thought of in years. I used to work with an old guy years ago that thought eating was just an annoyance. When lunch would come and we were out on a job I would try to think of someplace that would be more than just a grease bomb. Not him. He was always ready to get it out of the way. He always told me, "Hell, bubba. All we're trying to do here is chug a gut a and stuff a turd".

Robert

The right tool for the job. For most cooking tasks, a paring knife sized blade is insufficient. A gyuto is fine, thanks. Awkwardness is not a joy.

One thing I noticed from visiting Chef Knives/Cooking forums when researching is that they consider $100 to be a very expensive knife. I wonder what they would think of a Chris Reeve folder or even a Benchmade bugout.
TL;DR
There is a kitchen knife world just as extensive & expensive as the EDC world. You aren't looking in quite the right places to compare your better EDC knives to kitchen knives. A $100 kitchen knife is a beginner blade.

I'm guessing this is on a cooking forum, because prepping food is only part of cooking - a necessary evil for some. On knife forums, the blade & not the other cooking processes are the focus.
Realistically, regardless of the focus of the forum a kitchen knife from a big box store is the equivalent of a EDC blade from a big box store. Knives that aren't really held in high regard here, if I'm reading correctly. This can explain why some will find their EDC knife to be better, they are comparing it to the equivalent of a gas station folder.
On a kitchen knife forum, $100 is a budget knife.
To put it in perspective, Shun, Wusthof, & Henkels/Miyabi start their main line 8" chef knives at $100. These aren't considered to give value for the money either - high level of F&F, but there are better blades for the money.
On a forum heavy with gyuto users, <$100 are starter knives. a couple of good ones for those making the transition. Useful beaters. The equivalent of Victorinox & Ontario Rats.
Budget knives are maybe about $150 while "good" knives are more like $200 and up.
A higher end knife would be about $300 and up. Notice these brackets are about 2-3x that of EDC.
But many there wouldn't be using a paring knife sized blade either, utility knives (petty knife) is often the choice. A $100-$250 knife.
OTOH people aren't looking for the best F&F between parts, they want the best blade. A custom handle will be $30 and up.

I don't know that in a kitchen context a Chris Reeve or Bugout would be held in high regard. While people do compare steels, the right profile for the user, grind, heat treat, & thickness will mean more - to the point of coming up regularly when a new person tries to pick a knife based on steel. Few "supersteel" knives beyond Aogami Super & HAP40. The hardness of a Japanese knife is 60-65 HRC, so if people find S30VN chippy, they will have issues here. The issue of edge holding wars with getting the ultimate fine edge. The steels of a EDC knife isn't going to impress if it can't get the keenest of edges.

JC57 is right. Just as an EDC knife nut might have a dozen of more knives in rotation, a J-knife nut will have a half dozen or more. This is before going into the issue of sharpening - freehand is preferred and some have more tied up in stones than knives.

Hey, Eagle Scout
What's up with the top knife in your first pic? Does it have a special purpose?

The ultimate BLT knife. Cuts tomatoes like a boss, bread like a lazer, and even spreads the mayo. Just need to figure out how to get it to cook the bacon...

Depends on your sharpening ability, your practiced knife skills, and since kitchen knives are specifically designed as tools, understanding which knife to use. That being said, you don't need a knife block full.

BTW, my 8", flat ground chef's knife will easily cut about 8 slices out of a grape sized tomato with no squishing. Sharp is sharp, and I can cut micro thin slices of garlic for decoration, and do the fine cutting on my fresh herbs with no problem.

But that's my point. Sharp is sharp. A knife is just a tool. Food doesn't care what its being cut by. If the blade is sufficiently sharp, any knife of practical size and geometry will slice micro thin slices of garlic and make 8 slices out of grape sized tomatos. A Spyderco Endura or Benchmade Pardue 951 excels at such fine cutting tasks.

Certainly no reason to put any money into kitchen knives for you! I enjoy the skill and craftsmanship needed to put out a nice meal, and even appreciate a floursh of artistry on occasion. I cook constantly for family and friends.

Your comment on the ultimate trip to the sewage plane reminded me of something I hadn't thought of in years. I used to work with an old guy years ago that thought eating was just an annoyance. When lunch would come and we were out on a job I would try to think of someplace that would be more than just a grease bomb. Not him. He was always ready to get it out of the way. He always told me, "Hell, bubba. All we're trying to do here is chug a gut a and stuff a turd".

Robert

I understand. Some people get a lot of enjoyment from cooking. I always just considered it a necessity so there is obviously different perspectives on the matter. When I get a glimpse of those cooking shows, I have memories of childhood when my mom would admonish us that you're not supposed to play with your food, you're supposed to eat it. As far as where I would go for lunch, I am not much a fan of fast food. I always pack my own-- sandwich, chips, fruit.

I whole heartedly believe that your knives are your knives to use as you see fit, regardless of what others think. I also believe that folding pocket knives have as much use in the kitchen as a kitchen knife has on a construction site.

Agreed....but...

I have never followed why a bunch of knife fanatics who love debating the fine points of the proper knife design for a specific task, would use knives not designed for the kitchen in the kitchen.

It's a odd "bias" against kitchen knives, like they aren't "real" knives somehow. Its interesting how many folks here wouldn't think of spending $200 on a kitchen knife, but would spend $200 on a folder in a heartbeat.

Like mentioned above, everybody should use their knives however they want and have fun, but I just find the whole thing about "knives in the kitchen" is interesting.

They make really cool kitchen knives, you know! :D

Back