Using your knives in the kitchen.

Sure, the "non kitchen knives" do make it into the kitchen, but

1) This claim that one's Spyderco Delica or whatever functions as well in the kitchen as a quality purpose-built kitchen knife is nonsense...it's a "non knife person" thing to even say, in my book.

2) That so many rabid knife nuts around here ignore the kitchen, when there is a world of cool looking kitchen knives, made of great steels, by master bladesmiths, like I said before, kinda escapes me. Folks will have expensive knives they will never use, and then have a block of crappy knives from Target in the kitchen. Funny.

But knives from Target can probably be sharpened and maintained a lot easier than higher end knvies as they are going to have have softer steel. You will be sharpening more often but sometimes its worth it. High Rockwell steels on expensive chefs knives are going to be a lot harder to sharpen and maintain. They also seem to come with bevels in the 8-15 range and many have thinner blades. What this means is that the Target offerings will typically roll instead of chip when hitting bone etc as they no doubt have softer grade steels an thicker edges and profiles. Everything has a tradeoff. High end knives require high end maintenance and care and the knowledge and experience to do it. High grade steels can sometimes be easily marred and destroyed with carelessness and abuse.

Someone without much experience with knives in general and little knowledge of steels, grinds etc(which probably is going to be most people casually looking for a kitchen knife)...and is thinking about an expensive kitchen knife..will likely go online, just select something that looks good and has a good reputation..dont look at the profile, thickness, steel, etc...buy the expensive Japanese blade with 64 Rockwell and thin edge profile. First time they accidentally sink that knife into a bone while going to town on meat they are going to pull out the knife and wonder why the blade has all these funny indentations and chips on the edge. Probably would have wished they stuck with the Target model or done more research before buying expensive knives.

Last edited:
If bowie knives made good carving knives, we'd use bowie knives for carving the thanksgiving turkey.

Well, that would just be silly.
However, everyone knows you use a sword for carving the Christmas turkey. ;)

XiWl6Eo.jpg

seErVT2.jpg

d443OVq.jpg

Cool !. I am going to get out one of my my Katanas next Thanksgiving and give it a try.

Might as well. :thumbsup:
Used the sword I made to cut the turkey last Thanksgiving; no pics though, because it just seemed like too much work to do that (it was a lazy day).

Might as well. :thumbsup:
Used the sword I made to cut the turkey last Thanksgiving; no pics though, because it just seemed like too much work to do that (it was a lazy day).

I might try out one of my Himalayan Imports -- Probably could hack into one side and then do a pull cut on one of the legs then use the choil section to scrape the meat off the bone.

T5_zpsnulbqlgm.jpg

A few more of my Bowie blades--except the Esse.

The Viking Saex at top would be absolutely outstanding as a carver. Flat, thin blade profile. 18 inches in length. The trailmaster--third from bottom also carves and slices with aplomb but is on the thicker side so not real good if you want to slice thin with much control of the cut.

Actually, the Viking Saex is a precursor to Medieval kitchen implements. It was used for a lot of food and game prep. They realized the blade geometry made it very efficient at slicing and carving meat and fish. Chops hard nuts and grains fairly well. First kitchen knives actually resembled the Bowie design in a lot of ways. There i a reason--the blade shape in general makes a good all-purpose utility tool. Cuts, chops, slices, carves...excels at none but good at all.

IMG_0298%20900x675_zpsamfsneba.jpg

Last edited:

I am enamored with it. The French style is closer to a gyuto than a German styled chef knife, and I rather prefer it that way. I can rock chop just fine (there is still plenty of belly for that) but I can also get plenty of edge on the cutting board. Unlike gyutos the carbon blade is relatively soft (54ish RC) making it pretty worry free, but will take an edge like nobody's business. Maintenance is easy, I steel it before and/or after I work with it; sharpen it a couple of times a year. I rinse and towel it dry when I'm done cooking. I'll use it for heavy squashs and stuff, something I'd never suggest with a aogami hardened to 60+.

And all for like $70 bucks!

The Viking Saex at top would be absolutely outstanding as a carver. Flat, thin blade profile. 18 inches in length.

First kitchen knives actually resembled the Bowie design in a lot of ways.

I'm sure that seax makes an adequate carver, outstanding it is not (I guarantee it). It's too tall and I'll bet too thick to be an outstanding carver. How do I know? Because I use my chef knife to carve turkeys and roasts, and while it does a decent job, it's definitely too tall and does not do an 'outstanding' job.

The first bowie knives resembled kitchen knives, not the other way around. People had been working in kitchens long before either of the Bowie brothers wanted a fighting knife.

The French style is closer to a gyuto
Actually the gyuto (cow-knife) is the Japanese interpretation of the French chef's knives, which is why they resemble the Sabatier profile. The Sab came first.

I am enamored with it. The French style is closer to a gyuto than a German styled chef knife, and I rather prefer it that way. I can rock chop just fine (there is still plenty of belly for that) but I can also get plenty of edge on the cutting board. Unlike gyutos the carbon blade is relatively soft (54ish RC) making it pretty worry free, but will take an edge like nobody's business. Maintenance is easy, I steel it before and/or after I work with it; sharpen it a couple of times a year. I rinse and towel it dry when I'm done cooking. I'll use it for heavy squashs and stuff, something I'd never suggest with a aogami hardened to 60+.

And all for like $70 bucks!

What do most dedicated chefs consider the top knifemakers?
I mean, if we're going to start sharing our kitchen knives...

10 inch carbon K Sabatier, the first boning knife I ever bought, an opinel that does triple duty as the picnic/vacation - pocket - dough slashing knife, and one of those roach bellys I use as a steak knife.
RG68LSQ.jpg

Is that Damascus at the bottom? Nice looking blade and handle. A paring knife I assume.

What do most dedicated chefs consider the top knifemakers? Do

Is that Damascus at the bottom? Nice looking blade and handle. A paring knife I assume.

Not damascus, it's sort of a faux fire-scale. That particular knife is a 'roach belly', which was a common pattern around frontier times and can be lumped into the 'trade knife' category. It was meant to be a general purpose utility knife; I just happen to use them as steak knives. These particular ones are available on a couple of different websites and are rather inexpensive being made of 3 components: maple scales, brass pins, and 1095 blades.

As for 'real' chef's. You'll find a lot of Victorinox, F Dick, and Mundial in commercial kitchens. In personal knife rolls you'll see Global, Miyabi, Mercer, Henckels, Wusthoff (basically anything you can find at Williams and Sonoma). Big league chef's often find something custom or from smaller Japanese manufacturers.

I would say Global is super common as many chefs get a discount on a set of Globals when accepted to culinary school (or so I've heard from my chef friends).

Actually the gyuto (cow-knife) is the Japanese interpretation of the French chef's knives, which is why they resemble the Sabatier profile. The Sab came first.

The correct translation is "Beef Knife". The "Gyu" comes from "Gyuniku" meaning beef.

I'm sure that seax makes an adequate carver, outstanding it is not (I guarantee it). It's too tall and I'll bet too thick to be an outstanding carver. How do I know? Because I use my chef knife to carve turkeys and roasts, and while it does a decent job, it's definitely too tall and does not do an 'outstanding' job.

The first bowie knives resembled kitchen knives, not the other way around. People had been working in kitchens long before either of the Bowie brothers wanted a fighting knife.

The reason many knives look similar throughout history is just due to utility. The Viking Saex really is a precursor to a lot of subsequent designs in medieval Europe. The Seax borrowed its design from the Roman Gladius. It turned out to not only be an effective weapon but also became the favored 'EDC' blade of the gentty at the time. Could pretty much be used for everything and became more and more used for food/game prep and morphed into many of the designs. It has an extremely useful profile. The Bowie allegedly carried by the person of the same name has a lot of lore surrounding it. 'Bowie' has just become known as a generic reference to a certain style of blade. There are so many variations on the theme. The original was just probably a butchers knife, did not have a clip point or secondary edge etc..lot of mythology and lore surrounding the original. Nobody really is quite sure of the specifics.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lnb01

Not damascus, it's sort of a faux fire-scale. That particular knife is a 'roach belly', which was a common pattern around frontier times and can be lumped into the 'trade knife' category. It was meant to be a general purpose utility knife; I just happen to use them as steak knives. These particular ones are available on a couple of different websites and are rather inexpensive being made of 3 components: maple scales, brass pins, and 1095 blades.

As for 'real' chef's. You'll find a lot of Victorinox, F Dick, and Mundial in commercial kitchens. In personal knife rolls you'll see Global, Miyabi, Mercer, Henckels, Wusthoff (basically anything you can find at Williams and Sonoma). Big league chef's often find something custom or from smaller Japanese manufacturers.

I would say Global is super common as many chefs get a discount on a set of Globals when accepted to culinary school (or so I've heard from my chef friends).

Interesting. Awesome looking knife.

Interesting. Awesome looking knife.

Thank you!

I am in need of a seax. I don't know why I need one, but I obviously need one.

I need a boar spear too... I'm not sure what I'd do with it in the kitchen, but I'm sure I can find something.

Thank you!

I am in need of a seax. I don't know why I need one, but I obviously need one.

I need a boar spear too... I'm not sure what I'd do with it in the kitchen, but I'm sure I can find something.

Mainly you accumulate them as collectibles. I have a Boar Spear. Never hunted with one but it sits in the Sword collection next to the Chain Mail, Shields, and Axes. People do hunt with them though.

Graphic video---those who don't hunt might find it graphic...

People hunt Boar with swords as well:

Last edited:
I've been looking for a knife for a long time that can bridge the gap between back country outings and the kitchen.
I've had a few but they never did either job well enough for me to hang onto them for long.
This one may be it?!
CRKT HCK1. 6.13" 1095 blade, .13 thickness so it will work great for most kitchen and field duties but I wouldn't do much hardcore batoning, that's why I carry a hatchet...
Nice ergos, decent sheath.
Used it tonight to whip up a batch of corn chowder and it performed as well as most of my kitchen knives.
A keeper.
koLxdsj.jpg

I've been looking for a knife for a long time that can bridge the gap between back country outings and the kitchen.
I've had a few but they never did either job well enough for me to hang onto them for long.
This one may be it?!
CRKT HCK1. 6.13" 1095 blade, .13 thickness so it will work great for most kitchen and field duties but I wouldn't do much hardcore batoning, that's why I carry a hatchet...
Nice ergos, decent sheath.
Used it tonight to whip up a batch of corn chowder and it performed as well as most of my kitchen knives.
A keeper.
koLxdsj.jpg
I like the blade profile. When I first saw it, I thought it was a TOPS. Is that a DLC coating?

Back