Vanadium

I have a set of knives from my grandparents which I am guessing is approx. 50 years old. The only thing I know is that it says
Flint U.S.A. Vanadium on the knives. Can anyone tell me if this is a good set of knives

thanks

Dave, welcome to Bladeforums!

What you've got is not the most elegant set of kitchen knives in the world, but since Flint U.S.A. Vanadium is what we had when I was growing up, you should find they cut well and hold their edge.

They're probably even older, but I know we had them in the 50s.

You may have a problem restoring that edge, but it can be done with the right equipment and technique, and I wish my parents had done it, instead of getting rid of them. (growl)

Those Flint Vanadium knives are some of my favorites. If they are in useable condition keep them. Flint continued operation into the 1960's and maybe 70's. They were eventually purchase by Ekco that made a lot of moderately priced stainless kitchen tools. At that time they made products marked Ekco Flint Vanadium Stainless (as best I recall).

What you have are non-stainless vanadium alloy blades. These get razor sharp and hold an edge well. There really aren't any equivalent blades made today. The closest would be Sabatier Au Carbon non-stainless, but those don't have the vanadium in them. The vanadium makes the alloy more wear resistent and makes the grain structure finer for a sharper edge. The later Flint Vanadium Stainless work excellently as well. So sharpen those knives up and enjoy them.

Back