Vaughan 1940 catalog

Some of these fellas won't know what a yankee is.
Are we fondly talking 'cordless' screwdrivers? If so Peter L Robertson was Canadian sales rep for these in the early 20th century and speared himself when the blade slipped off a slot screw during a sales demo. So, we have to credit the "Yankee" screwdriver for spurring the invention of the non-slip/self-aligning Robertson (square recess) screw. ....Going all the way back to 1908 with patent granted in 1909.

Steering the thread back to Vaughan, their 125th Anniversary Brochure states,
"It was also in 1897 that Vaughan began supplying private label hammers to Sears, Roebuck and Co. The relationship continues to this day, and Vaughan ranks as Sears' oldest supplier."

BookReaderImages.php

In the same brochure, there's a photo showing some of the brand names put on Vaughan-made tools, including Craftsman, Master Mechanic, RIDGID, Do It Best, Blue Grass, Diamond Tool, Blue Point...

BookReaderImages.php

from
Vaughan And Bushnell 125th Anniversary Brochure, 1994

"It was also in 1897 that Vaughan began supplying private label hammers to Sears, Roebuck and Co. The relationship continues to this day, and Vaughan ranks as Sears' oldest supplier."

BookReaderImages.php

In the same brochure, there's a photo showing some of the brand names put on Vaughan-made tools, including Craftsman, Master Mechanic, RIDGID, Do It Best, Blue Grass, Diamond Tool, Blue Point...

BookReaderImages.php

from
I knew that made tools for Snap-on / blue point ( I believe they currently make the Snap-on dead blows ) and obviously Craftsman
But I didn't know about any of the others, and had no clue they produced tools for sears that long ago.
I saw a vaughan factory tour video this year and they still yad a good number of Craftsman hammers around, so I believe they're still making them but it'll really suck if they stop.
Stanley owns Craftsman now, so maybe they'll not stop Vaughan contracts. If so maybe they'll even contract them to produce Stanley hammers, and if the relationship goes that much deeper maybe they can bring the mini wonder bar 2 back to the US having Vaughan make it.
I know it's wishful thinking but it sure would be nice.

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

from
Looks like Vaughan has changed the design on the sheet rock hammer. They used to have less than a full hammer poll. It was flattened off on top to allow easier access into corners and lids. As much as I am a fan of Vaughan I am not on board with all of their designs. The full poll is a step in the right direction but they are still behind the curve on that one.

Well they should. :D Here are a couple:

Both of the above are marked YANKEE and North Bros. The bottom one is also marked Stanley.

Not mine:

Bob
A couple of those in a nail bag, one with a drill bit and another with a screw bit is hard to beat for installing wood door hardware. Most everything is predrilled these days though, less than perfect though...

A couple of those in a nail bag, one with a drill bit and another with a screw bit is hard to beat for installing wood door hardware. Most everything is predrilled these days though, less than perfect though...
The earliest cordless drill/screwdriver! The power source for these tends to wane by late afternoon but otherwise they are amazingly reliable, and oftentimes the ultimate when it comes to quiet.

I like to use a Vics bit on a screw gun to predrill and then a 2nd screw gun to drive. I'll make do with with an impact driver to drive but I prefer the drill with the clutch set appropriately. Since the advent of cordless impact drivers I've seen a million stripped out door hinge screws. Morons in a hurry don't know when to stop.

Oh, and by selecting a Vics bit one size smaller and fudging it to the inside of the mortise all your screws will work to set the hinge squarely in the back of the mortise. Perfect alignment between hinges, assuming the mortise was done accurately.

I like to use a Vics bit on a screw gun to predrill and then a 2nd screw gun to drive. I'll make do with with an impact driver to drive but I prefer the drill with the clutch set appropriately. Since the advent of cordless impact drivers I've seen a million stripped out door hinge screws. Morons in a hurry don't know when to stop.
Stripped screw holes has become increasingly common in many trades that use power drivers. Merely try to undo the wheel nuts on your car after a tire changer has torqued them on with an air tool! Over the past 3 years I've had to replace hundreds of self-tapping sheet metal screws with oversize equivalents in school buses. Same goes for metal roofing, heating ducts and eavestrough. Within any project you can pretty much figure out which workers did what, thanks to how thoughtfully/carefully they set their screws.
In the mid 1980s a powerful cordless drill/driver was 7.4 V or 9.6 whereas nowadays 18V is at the low end of the scale.

Back