Recommendation? Versatile knife blocks

So I've decided I want to put together my own set of kitchen knives. Most sets I've been looking at aren't exactly what I want. Either they are missing something, or they have tons of stuff I will never use. Besides, it'll be way more fun to put something together over time. (Maybe I can even sneak an outdoorsy knife in there for giggles, like the Buck 101).

So I figured I need a proper knife block. I'm looking for the following:

• Needs to offer versatility: All knives must fit (since I don't exactly know what's going to be in there). Bonus points if it also offers room for some other tools, such as a steel, shears etc.
  • Needs to be hygienic: Should be able to clean it. Bonus points if it's really easy.
  • I have a small kitchen, so not too big. Max. 20 cm wide, although 15cm wide is preferred. Bonus points if you can easily pick it up and move it around.
  • Not really looking to spend more than € 150,- although I might move up slightly if it's worth it.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Thanks!

I was personally looking at something like this:

wu7262%2403-wusthof-messenblok-wu7262-d3.jpg

I use and recomend magnetic wall hanging type for knives. I also use them for screwdrivers and other tools in the garage.

I'm aware of the arguments for magnet strips, especially when it comes to hygiene. However, it's just not an option in our kitchen.

Please recommend me some blocks that are easy to clean instead.

None of them...........you continue to ask for a recommendation for something that pretty much nobody on here is going to recommend. ;)
Please recommend me some blocks that are easy to clean instead.

None of them...........you continue to ask for a recommendation for something that pretty much nobody on here is going to recommend. ;)

You probably mean well, but frankly, you're a bit rude. I won't argue that blocks are a superior option, but I simply can't have strips in my kitchen. If you don't have anything constructive to add, then please stay out of this thread.

Magnetic knife blocks. Lots to choose from, just Google that term.

Personally I just use a couple of these: https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/accessories/accessory/shun-11-slot-bamboo-block

Thank you, I have been looking at a few of them and I am seriously considering them as an option.

I'm considering the Wüsthof drawer block as well, that's in another thread. However, the drawer I have in mind is really tight, so I'll need to measure very precisely.

Yeah, drawer space in my kitchen is pretty tight, which is why I go with the knife blocks. You can also get plastic blade guards that slide on/off so they can be stored a drawer without getting dinged up. Or wooden sayas if you have really nice knives and the cost of the sayas isn't an obstacle.

There are wooden magnetic blocks that are like quarter-circles of wood (Messermeister, for example), and you can stick knives to both sides. There are others that are round, like lazy susans, with vertical flats that you can stick the knives onto as well. Any of those are easy to clean.

Just Google for "magnetic knife blocks" and look at the image search to see what all is out there.

Personally, I just never put my knives back in the blocks if they are dirty or wet. I may be risking death and worse but so far it's not really an issue. The slots do go all the way through, so I could theoretically blow them them out with compressed air. I'd not want to run water through them, though. That would more likely cause more problems than it would avoid.

I've also seen some that are like two glass slabs with a slot in between that you stick your knives into. Probably easy enough to disassemble and clean.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Böker Block as well, but unfortunately there are marital factors to consider.

Looks like you might actually have to make a decision on your own, since none of us seem to be able to give you an answer. *gasp* :D

I just bought one of these over the weekend. It has enough 1.5-2" slots to allow a lot of options. Paid $40 or $50 at a local kitchen store:

http://www.wusthof.com/products/knife-storage/17-slot-bamboo-block

This was an upgrade from a smaller one that just wasn't flexible enough, and was full anyway. I think the 25-slot one is excessive and expensive. I'm happy with it, and for the price. Blocks work well in my environments too. I hand-dry all blades before putting them away.

That block looks nice. I'm also looking at the in-drawer storage tray they offer. If I can make it work.

You can get knife blocks that are magnetic. They kind of look like a semi circle of wood but it has a magnet. Messermeister makes some (sp?). Also for something a little different Kapoosh makes knife blocks that have plastic rods (removable and washable) that conform to any size or shape of knife. They make some in wood and I think some in stainless or metal and plastic as well.

Small update, for those interested.

I tried a drawer insert, but my drawer turned out to be just a hair too small (insufficient height), despite careful measuring. I returned the insert. I looked at several magnetic knife blocks, but the wife correctly pointed out that there isn't an inch of our kitchen that is free from spatters, either from the faucet or from cooking (when I said my kitchen is small, I really meant it). That made me worry about ever having carbon knives.

I ended up ordering a professional knife carrying bag. I just got it today, it does the trick. I can just put it wherever, so that's an advantage.

Back