Very first Randall

Received my very first Randall made knife today. #27 mini copper. Beautiful knife! Purchased it brand new from AG Russell and I must say this is possibly the dullest knife I have ever received new. Surprised me actually? Now I'm no complainer. I simply say this because I have sharpened many many knives and many different types of steel. You come to learn the good from the bad over the years sharpening (as most of you know of course). And to anyone who says Randall's 440b , I believe it is, is soft or cant handle hard use... how wrong they are! Took me almost an hour to put the edge on and it is now a RAZOR. Nothing even remotely close to soft would have put up a fight like this did. Almost glad i had to sharpen right out of box because i now carry this knife with a great feeling of confidence. I now have a clear picture of how tough my Randall really is. Amazing knife, damn proud owner.15241746884551752684943.jpg

Cool knife, cool story. I've found many machine sharpened production knives to be very sharp out of the box; unfortunately, few stay sharp long. Handmade knives are a different story, it can be hit n' miss, or not up to the standards of a knife enthusiast. Personally, I prefer a convex edge. RMK doesn't provide a convex edge, so for those bought to sell nothing is done; for those I'm keeping, convexed it is...

Received my very first Randall made knife today. #27 mini copper. Beautiful knife! Purchased it brand new from AG Russell and I must say this is possibly the dullest knife I have ever received new. Surprised me actually? Now I'm no complainer. I simply say this because I have sharpened many many knives and many different types of steel. You come to learn the good from the bad over the years sharpening (as most of you know of course). And to anyone who says Randall's 440b , I believe it is, is soft or cant handle hard use... how wrong they are! Took me almost an hour to put the edge on and it is now a RAZOR. Nothing even remotely close to soft would have put up a fight like this did. Almost glad i had to sharpen right out of box because i now carry this knife with a great feeling of confidence. I now have a clear picture of how tough my Randall really is. Amazing knife, damn proud owner.View attachment 890804

Me too. I received a brand new Model 14 in carbon from that fat man in Florida, and it came disgustingly dull, and blunt with no point at the tip. You can actually run your finger down the blade, and it wont cut you. Its barely a letter opener. One of these days I'm going to ship it off to a professional sharpener on here for a real edge to be put on. I do like the knife, but it also has other issues that may cause me to flip it down the road.

Me too. I received a brand new Model 14 in carbon from that fat man in Florida, and it came disgustingly dull, and blunt with no point at the tip. You can actually run your finger down the blade, and it wont cut you. Its barely a letter opener. One of these days I'm going to ship it off to a professional sharpener on here for a real edge to be put on. I do like the knife, but it also has other issues that may cause me to flip it down the road.
Yeah i dont know what yhe deal is on them being dull from time to time. Wasnt an issue for me just surprising. May be the sharpest knife i own now. Maybe try a sharpmaker, it will get the job done believe or or not

The only dull one I've received was a saltwater knife. The base of the blade was full width tapering to sharp at the belly. Making for about 1/4 inch of unusable blade. I added a small sharpening choil, then carefully worked the edge. It was a lot of work. Very hard blade.

The only dull one I've received was a saltwater knife. The base of the blade was full width tapering to sharp at the belly. Making for about 1/4 inch of unusable blade. I added a small sharpening choil, then carefully worked the edge. It was a lot of work. Very hard blade.
The last quarter inch of my blade was a bit uneven. Still is a little. Wouldn't have it any other way at this point. Its mine, will one day be my sons

I got my very first Randall this past year (Model 14) and was surprised to see how dull it came. The knife itself is a work of art, but I bought it to USE, not to sit in a safe. Sharpened it myself and now it’s a razor. I would be fascinated to know the reasoning behind not giving such a fantastic knife a good edge from such a reputable maker.

I got my very first Randall this past year (Model 14) and was surprised to see how dull it came. The knife itself is a work of art, but I bought it to USE, not to sit in a safe. Sharpened it myself and now it’s a razor. I would be fascinated to know the reasoning behind not giving such a fantastic knife a good edge from such a reputable maker.
I was very curious myself but it's not the sharpest knife I own. Hands down. If you hear anymore on this let me know

Supposedly so you can put what kind of edge you want on the knife. Not sure how official that is but I have had a lot of Randall's and usually they barely cut paper.

I usually use it day one with the shop edge then sharpen it up after that. 01 takes a real fine edge where as the stainless gets decently sharp.

Back