Very inexpensive

I had a Mora that I picked up on EBay a few years back,,they seem hard to beat for 10 bucks...just wondering if there are other knives of this quality/price point out there. I dropped the last one off the side of a boat while fishing,,so I need a new blade for cutting up bait...any thoughts?

Mora is the king of performance for the price. Their carbon steel performs great, their stainless steel nearly matches the carbon while being highly corrosion resistant, and all of their knives were made to cut comfortably. If you need a knife to beat up and not cry if it has to be tossed, get a Mora.

Reading it back, this sounds like a sales pitch. I'm not a fixed blade guy, but I own a few Moras for a reason. I've gifted a few of them as well. If you make me a fan of your fixed blades, you have to be doing something really well

What Mo2 said, plus:

Marttiini
MAM
ontario Old Hickory
Russell Green River
Okapi
Mercator
Douk-Douk
Antonini
Case Sodbuster
Hultafors

If you want to get a pretty good idea of what is available in inexpensive, high-quality knives, go to Baryonyx Knife Co. Happens to be a BF-supporting vendor.

Last edited:
Mora knife
Opinel knives
SVORD knives

I thought so also... but svord is apparently selling a $500 large cleaver like object.... I was a bit shocked
SVOCS28_01.jpg

For $10 I think you’re going to find it very hard to beat a Morakniv if you need a fixed blade good at cutting. They’ve earned their huge following.

I think the upcoming 5.5” Old Hickory Hunting Knife is going to be cut from the same cloth. Full tang, 1095 steel, black walnut handle, and a leather sheath for just under twenty dollars.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/OH...-knife-1095-carbon-steel-blade-leather-sheath

timthumb.php

Last edited:
I thought so also... but svord is apparently selling a $500 large cleaver like object.... I was a bit shocked
SVOCS28_01.jpg

Svord, like morakniv, has some more expensive models. I have been surprised at this large bowie and machete prices, though I'm sure they're outstanding. I was pretty surprised at the price of their kiwi machete, though the bowie takes the cake there.

Last edited:
Dexter Russel makes real nice bait/net knives. With sheaths for under $10. I use one to cut up my recycling cardboard for a couple years now. It’s still sharp.

Part of their sanisafe line. They are dishwasher safe. There are a bunch of options. Bait/net/clam/oyster/pairing.

This is the one I have. I bought a case of them. http://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/ntl24-dexter-sani-safe-3-1-4-inch-net-twine-line-knife-w-sheath/

Good call. Sheffield England has some nice budget stuff as well and I think they're very similar to the Dexter Russel stuff, but more wood handles instead of synthetics.

The green river models would be a good alternative to a mora, IMO. A little more expensive, but not much.

Cold steel Finn bear is all over for around 15 and is really a good deal.
I have numerous. Sheath is hyper basic, but usable.
I drill a lanyard hole and add some bright paracord to them.

Cold steel Finn bear is all over for around 15 and is really a good deal.
I have numerous. Sheath is hyper basic, but usable.
I drill a lanyard hole and add some bright paracord to them.

I keep forgetting about those, even though I have a couple. The Finn Bear is a very low-buck homage to the Tapio Wirkkala puukko.

I'm an old guy that lives alone ( no wife to answer to :D ) so my kitchen knives are just a mismatched bunch of knives among them a little $10 Mora I've used daily for about 3 years and it is still a fine knife. I keep a little Arkansas hard stone sitting on my kitchen counter and touch it up when needed wash it with Dawn and hot water and dry it. If you don't mind patina that's all that's needed so I think that qualifies it as a fine piece of cutlery. I think there are many great brand recommendations posted here all I would add is don't be afraid of used just clean them good sharpen them up and start cutting. My Buck 119 came from Goodwill for $10.
Here it is among my other fine kitchen cutlery.

iqK5RUf.jpg

SVOCS28_01.jpg
Like many manufactures, svord sells a large range of tools in a variety of use, size, and price categories. Not sure why this would shock you. I bought a peasant on a whim as an add on to a larger order. It came as expected and I feel it is priced fairly for what I got (~$12).

If I was the OP, I think I might just go buy another mora.

Back