Photos Very Nice Double Bit Etched 3M88? Need a little help

I have been trying to ID the Brand of this axe head for about a week now. It is etched or stamped 31/2 3M88 and " Japan" is under 3M88. I have searched the web in every way possible trying to figure this one out on my own and right now it has me stumped. I even searched for Japanese Double bit axe heads with 3M88, and still nothing. This belonged to my Grandpa who recently passed away. He was a WWII Vet and worked in the mines for years. He left me with all of his tools, axes, ect, and they are all "big name brands" and for the most part everything was made in the USA. His socket sets are williams, s-k, snap on, his scredrivers are proto, his pliers are williams, channel lock. He has 3 other axes as well, a forest king by Mann/SBHubbard, a red seal hatchet by collins, and a splitting maul by collins. So I have a hard time thinking that this is some cheap Japanese Double Bit. The steel is amazing. I have collected/restored axe heads for years now and its right up there with some of the better ones I have seen. It appears that it had a paper label or other etchings that have worn down, because if you get in the right lighting you can see all kinds of markings. I cleaned it up with a soft wire wheel and lightly sanded with some 600 grit and then 1000 grit. I have noticed, like any other old axe heads, every time I sand it the markings become easier to see. Two days ago I thought for sure it was a Legitimus (collins), but now Im leaning towards Mann Edge / SBHubbard. And dont worry, 1000 grit doesnt actually remove any metal, it just polishes if you ask me. When I first got it, the weight was 3.99 oz and I just weighed it and its still 3.99 oz. Its exactly 10" in length. Cutting edges are both 4.5" from heel to toe. The eye is 3 1/4" on the top and 2 7/8" on the bottom. The eye walls are ribbed on the inside. If anyone has seen one of these before or knows the brand, your input would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I didnt mean to post yet. Trying to upload photos but managed to put photos ans the prefix of my title.lol

Could be, but could someone please tell me how to uploads photos from your computer. Everytime I click image it asks for a url

You have to be a paid member to post directly to the forum. Otherwise you need to host your image elsewhere and then link to it here. Many here use Postimage.

Japanese make might not be a bad axe. They were certainly capable. It's just a matter of what the importer specific. An early Alltrade or similar axe could be good.

Back