VG-10 vs ZA-18

Which to choose

• ZA-18

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VG-10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello,
Right now I'm using Carl Schmidt Sohn knife with x40Cr13 steel and thinking about the upgrade. I'm considering betvene Kanetsugu pro-j series with ZA-18 steel and Saiun with vg-10 steel. Is there any major differences between them. Or should I save some money and go with pro-m series?

If I remember correctly Aichi's ZA-18 is suppose to be very similar to N690 which in turn is close to VG10. So I would be quite a jump up
from x40Cr13 which I've heard is on a par with 420J2. If that's correct then yes even a Moly-Van/8A like the Pro-J will be an upgrade.
If you really want to "upgrade" though look at powder steels like R2(SG2) and SRS15.

If I remember correctly Aichi's ZA-18 is suppose to be very similar to N690 which in turn is close to VG10. So I would be quite a jump up
from x40Cr13 which I've heard is on a par with 420J2. If that's correct then yes even a Moly-Van/8A like the Pro-J will be an upgrade.
If you really want to "upgrade" though look at powder steels like R2(SG2) and SRS15.
I would like to get myself an SRS15 or R2 steel knife but it's over my budget. Looking for something under 150€.

That's a real borderline price limit. I make Euros 150 to be about USD 168.00 now.
You can find R2 knives as low as USD 175.00 in the U.S. but I don't know shipping
cost would be.

That's a real borderline price limit. I make Euros 150 to be about USD 168.00 now.
You can find R2 knives as low as USD 175.00 in the U.S. but I don't know shipping
cost would be.
I found few shops in USA but they usually send knife through DHL and it costs around 40$ just for shipment, depending on the weight of the knife.

Yes I understand. It costs USD 20.00 to ship a knife by DHL from just Canada to the U.S., so that makes sense.

They're both excellent kitchen knife steels and there's so little between them, I doubt anyone could tell the difference in practice. I've used both steels quite a bit. I'd look at any other differences like handle design, blade geometry etc. As I recall the Pro-Js have a kind of sabre-ish grind to them. As the Saiuns have a hamaguri/convex style grind, that would be my personal preference.

Back