Vic 111mm slide vs. liner

Is there anyone else that actually prefers the slide lock models (such as the Adventurer or Rucksack) over the liner lock models? I love not having to place any appendages in the way of a closing blade. Lessons learned from my much younger lock back days. And as a lefty I find the slide very convenient. I own several other liner locks but all my big SAKs are slide lock models.

P.S. I prefer the Wenger Ranger "button lock" even over the Vic slide even though it works more like a liner, but that is a different post.

I have never really liked liner locks on any knife. Needless to say, I put up with them liner locks on a few knives. But my regular carry EDC is the Adventurer with the side lock. I love it. It seems plenty strong for a slip joint and makes closing the knife so much easier... move lock and put top edge of knife on my pants. Works like a charm. I keep three or four spares of the Adventurer. That is the only using knife that I have that many duplicates.

People claim they aren't as strong.... well, been using the Adventurer for years without one breaking the lock or the blade coming back on my fingers doing normal cutting.

Haven't tried the Wenger button lock.

I believe the Adventurer and Rucksack are both discontinued.

Last edited:
The liner lock models are a little heavier, and the screwdriver/cap lifter is a bit tougher, the blade might be as well. But that said, the strength numbers for the slide lock are around somewhere and its a pretty solid force needed to close the blade. I don't think there is a problem either way, I like my slide lock, and like that the "lock" is more like a safety, the slipjoint action is still there, so if something happened to the lock, the knife would still function fine.

Lots of people make claims about lock strength, I'll worry about it the day I need to use my folding knife as a piton or ice-axe. Tool for the job.

I have never really liked liner locks on any knife. Needless to say, I put up with them liner locks on a few knives. But my regular carry EDC is the Adventurer with the side lock. I love it. It seems plenty strong for a slip joint and makes closing the knife so much easier... move lock and put top edge of knife on my pants. Works like a charm. I keep three or four spares of the Adventurer. That is the only using knife that I have that many duplicates.

People claim they aren't as strong.... well, been using the Adventurer for years without one breaking the lock or the blade coming back on my fingers doing normal cutting.

Strength of slide lock vs. liner lock is recurring question here and elsewhere. August 2008 email from Victorinox to sakwiki.com on this issue:

http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Locking+Systems

The blade releases via the slider on the rear shell of the handle. It is comfortably and easy to operate and as you mentioned only for accidental closing. The bestsellers in this series are the Picnicker, Rucksack and the Outrider. The model Workchamp XL is aimed at knife collectors.

At the moment we are developing an improving the spring for the locking blade and slider system. During testing of an material sample the stress strain curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between stress,derived from measuring the load applied on the sample and strain derived from measuring the deformation of the sample i.e. elongation, compression, or distortion. Steel generally exhibits a very linear stress-strain relationship up to a well defined yield point. The linear portion of the curve is in the elastic region and the slope is the modulus of elasticity or Young`s modulus. A torque in physics, also called moment, is a vector that measures the tendency of a force to rotate an object about some axis(center). The magnitude of a torque is defined as the product of a force and the length of the lever arm(radius) M=FxI. To stay in the elastic region a torque of maximum 10,8Nm should not be exceeded.

However we found them to be insufficiently robust and sturdy for the fire brigades, the rescue services the police and army forces. For this reason we developed a knife (0,83-0,84) of the same shape and size but much stronger, with thicker rivets and blades, Liner-lock for the blade and powerful screwdriver. In this range you will find the Victorinox lock blade for one hand opening (e.g. Rescuetool ).

I believe the Adventurer and Rucksack are both discontinued.

It looks like the Adventurer is discontinued, and the Rucksack is in production but for EU market only.

That's an interesting quote about the slide-lock vs liner lock. Thanks Piso I learnt something new !

Back