Victorinox Ecoline

TKM

Hi guys,

So, I'm in the market for a new SAK, and since having it shipped from home is actually not an option, I decided to give the Mexican Victorinox website a try and I found that their catalogue is quite extense, although they don't carry some of my favorite models, I found this very insteresting "value line" called the Ecoline.

I have never seen them before, I know some are just the same models with different names but they look quite good and the price is great, the main difference is the material on the scales and the shield, which is stamped.

Are thay still Swiss Made? Why haven't I seen them in the U.S. or the International Victorinox sites?

Here is a link.

Strange names. All the names are Swiss related.
Pilatus is a Swiss Aircraft company - http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/
Cervino or Monte Cervino is the Italian name for the famous Matterhorn.
Bernina is a famous Swiss sewing machine company.
Rigi or Mount Rigi is a mountain in the heart of Switzerland.
Chasseral is a famous pass on a mountain near Berne Switzerland.

The knives are Swiss made genuine Victorinox but with nylon scratch resistant scales with hot stamped shields.

I was having a hard time trying to relate a couple of those names to Switzerland!

I held a couple of them today, the scales feel different but the whole knife seems to have the same quality standards.

The victorinox eco line are also available in my country... they're significantly more afforable, build as good as the regular line, but got a more durable nylon scale...

to be honest, i actually love the ecoline... they're a better "beater" SAKs... the nylon handle is more solid, stronger and chemical resistant than the cellidor... on the negative side, the hot stamp shield would dissapear and cosmetically wont look as pretty as the shiney cellidor...

my beater SAKs are nylon huntsman, sportsman II and lumberjack... i'm very satisfied with them...

try them, i bet you like them.... even if you dont, since they're very afforable, you wont break your wallet...

the ecoline is not officially imported to usa, we have some from time to time.

its basically the same knife, in earlyer days the liners where not anodised, thats long gone, the biggest, main difference is the less shiny nylon scales, they have an bit an texture and cant be engraved with the name and filled with say white paint as the bright shiny polished scales.

the eco line scales, red, blue, black and white, are also avaliable in swiss for advertising knives, with printed logo etc.

some of the scales itself, 84mm and 91mm versions i have in stock in usa.

hope that help

+B
swissbianco.com

They are great beater scales , I used Eco Hunsmen as my tool pouch SAK for years .

Chris

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

I just got a Pilatus Economy with blue nylon scales, it's actually very nice, it cost me something like $15 USD.

The only difference I found is the satmping on the back of the hilt, it reads OFFICIER SUISSE, I 've never seen that before.

Last edited:
It seems like nylon is a superior scale material and apparently cheaper if it's used for the economy line. I wonder why it isn't used on the main SAK lines instead of cellidor.

well, they got a tradition to maintain... those shiney cellidors with metal inlay shield is a classic icon... the 111mm models use nylon scales except some with rubber combination.

the shiney cellidors looks way cooler than nylon... the red nylon never could compete in looks... the nylon only shines is hard use.. thats just my humble opinion...

The only Ecoline Saks I've ever seen are my red nylon Tinkers. Both of which I bought at Ace Hardware stores. Not as pretty bu they do hold up a lot better than Cellidor.

Ah, the subject of nylon scales, which I love>

I think it's well past high time that Victorinox depart from tradition and make the nylon the standard scale material. I know they like the tradition of the shiny red scales, BUT…it's a inferior material!

Companies that don't change eventually go under. Or at least b ecoome a shell of what they used to be. Even Opinel, after a century has began to use synthetic materials and new designs to stay current in the highly competitive knife market.

I don't think it would hurt Victorinox at all, and may help, to start a new image with moulded nylon scales with checkering like on the 108mm models like the old German army knife or the Mauser models. Make the cross molded into the material and give some good checkering for grip when wet.

It's past time for a change in SAK's for the better.

In the US, the Ecoline name is not used for these products, but the Roman numeral II instead, same thing but sells for less than the regular cellidor scaled version, a rare instance where the cheaper version is superior to a top of the line model. The only thing the regular SAK has over the Eco is better cosmetics, an important factor in eye appeal. This is a serious matter to Victorinox marketing, which is why they haven’t switched over. Even I, who know better, kind of prefer the looks of the Cellidors SAKs (oo, shiny!), and the trademark Swiss Cross is more durable. The ecos’ rub off with use, which should be no big deal, but I suppose I’m like all the rest :eek: . Somehow, though, I’m okay with it wearing away on my OH Trekker. Go figure..

Last edited:
I decided I'd like to test Vic Huntsman or the Camper in nylon but ... I was told today by my favourite knife selling shop that the Ecoline scales are discontinued by Victorinox and all what I could do is to contact the exclusive importer of Victorinox in my country about remaining stocks (which I did but didn't receive response yet). Any info on that, please?

UPDATE: So, I've found what seems to be the last Ecoline Huntsman in the state. :D Unfortunately it costs 75% more than the Cellidor version ... so I'm not sure if it's worth buying it ... I'm afraid I will though! :D

Last edited:
I decided I'd like to test Vic Huntsman or the Camper in nylon but ... I was told today by my favourite knife selling shop that the Ecoline scales are discontinued by Victorinox and all what I could do is to contact the exclusive importer of Victorinox in my country about remaining stocks (which I did but didn't receive response yet). Any info on that, please?

UPDATE: So, I've found what seems to be the last Ecoline Huntsman in the state. :D Unfortunately it costs 75% more than the Cellidor version ... so I'm not sure if it's worth buying it ... I’m afraid I will though! :D

Huh? AFAIK, Ecoline is still in the catalogue. In the US, it is marketed as Huntsman II, but same thing. Also, makes no sense that it would be more expensive than the Cellidor version. Ecoline is a marketing name that means “economy version,” or less expensive. Maybe it is discontinued from import where you live, which would account for what you have been told.

Yeah, I know it should be cheaper ... yet here I am LOL. I'm having trouble finding ecoline/nylon stuff (Huntsman II, Camper II) here in EU though (on eBay for example) - but according to some negative reviews on the UK Amazon regarding matte scales I guess they are selling the nylon version.

BTW my friends Camper in Nylon (10 years old) doesn't have the pin hole, is it normal with them nylon scales?

PS: Any idea where I could buy the nylon scales online, please? I need international shipping though ... :confused:

Yeah, I know it should be cheaper ... yet here I am LOL. I'm having trouble finding ecoline/nylon stuff (Huntsman II, Camper II) here in EU though (on eBay for example) - but according to some negative reviews on the UK Amazon regarding matte scales I guess they are selling the nylon version.

BTW my friends Camper in Nylon (10 years old) doesn't have the pin hole, is it normal with them nylon scales?

PS: Any idea where I could buy the nylon scales online, please? I need international shipping though ... :confused:

What is the basis for negative reviews on UK Amazon? And I am confused; aren’t the matte scales the nylon ones? I don’t know if any nylon scales have a pin hole. The only one I own is a Sportsman, and it hasn’t one.

What is the basis for negative reviews on UK Amazon? And I am confused; aren’t the matte scales the nylon ones? I don’t know if any nylon scales have a pin hole. The only one I own is a Sportsman, and it hasn’t one.
Quite some people wrote reviews stating that they received a fake knife because it wasn't shiny. Morons. :D

Ecoline (nylon) is :thumbsup:
Cellidor is sometimes :thumbsdown:

20170501_133805_zpsq7pih2mn.jpg

20170501_133812_zpsstededcs.jpg

and it's the fourth SAK that suffers this in my lifetime. That's enough times for me to consider an alternative if it were available!

20170501_133852_zpstgeon1ng.jpg

Back