Victorinox Farmer vs Huntsman

you made a good choice :thumbup:, couldn't go wrong either way though.
enjoy your huntsman, and let us know how it worked out for you

I think you made a good choice. My Fieldmaster (Huntsman with phillips screwdriver in place of corkscrew) has been a regular companion for over 25 years. I purchased a Hunstman a few years ago, and it goes with me everywhere in my book bag/briefcase. I really like the Farmer, and will probably get one eventually, but have found the extra tools on the Huntsman/Fieldmaster very useful to have on daily basis.

I pick the Farmer, it´s stronger and looks better to me..
here is mine next to the sheath she just help me make for herself

6826301667_6a3f84aebb_b.jpg

I've Owned Both.. Then I Got A Cadet, The Cadet Was My EDC For A WHILE. And Was A GREAT Knife.. Then I Got My Huntsman And The Cadet Got Kicked. I Love The Huntsman, It's A Good Looking Knife, Strong, Whether The Backsprings Etc Are Weaker, This Is A Knife You'll Have For Years. I Would Consider Getting A Fieldmaster Though.. Kicks The Corkscrew And Adds A Phillips!!!
I Love The Phillips On My Knives.
I Love Phillips Period.

I own both and I love both. If I am traveling then I take a Huntsman as it has the scissors and a few extra tools. For regular EDC I carry my Farmer. Now, if Victorinox would just listen to the masses and make a Farmer with scissors, then problem solved!:D

I have both and really like them. The Huntsman is a real stands alone knife for me. The Farmer needs a little help so I carry it with my Ambassador. Either makes a great edc core for me.
Jim

I have several of both, but day-to-day it's the Huntsman I carry - and I leave a spare on my desk at the office. It's amazing how often I use the scissors, although I've thought about replacing the toothpick with something else. Any ideas?

The Farmer seems to always end up in my altoids tin or clipped to a belt loop when I head into the woods - really like the awl being on the end.

I know the choice has been made (yay, Huntsman), but I just wanted to add:
One additional thing my Huntsman carries that the Farmer can't is a straight pin. Right where the pivot for the corkscrew is, there's a tiny hole where a straight pin fits. Not long after I got my Huntsman, I found out about that hole and put a pin in it--figured it couldn't hurt since it doesn't add weight or bulk. I've actually found use for that pin a few times. Now I've just got to get that little screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew and my Huntsman will be perfect. :thumbup:

yeah i think you can even make a small compass out of that pin :D also when some digital equipment has to be reseted the pin is very handy for that work too. also huntsman is pocketable for me

sak_fan said:
jacktrades_nbk that video is a good commercial for the farmer great comparaison. i will buy the huntsman first (it's nearly the most popular 3< model in vics. and i think i want scissors in my SAK) then some time later i will buy the farmer you all did very good reviews about those two SAKs.

It's a tough call, but the scissors is loads more useful than a saw, unless you do a lot of camping or other similar outdoor work. Personally, I'd ditch the saw in favor of scissors and keep it to 3 layers thick. My choice is the Super Tinker, as I simply must have the scissors and phillips.

Between your choices, go with the Huntsman. You'll find you use the scissors all the time and the saw rarely, if ever. You'll also find that you won't carry it as much as you thought, because it is 4 layers thick. The Farmer has the alox handles, which make it thinner, plus it is only a 3-layer SAK. So you might carry it more because it's thinner and actually fits reasonably well in a pocket. But then you'll wonder why you just HAD to have the saw!

FWIW - If you think you can do without the phillips, I think the best choice is the Compact. It's 2-layers, so great in the pocket, and you still get the scissors and combo tool. If you can do without scissors, I think the best choice is the Spartan Lite, which adds an LED flashlight and in-line phillips to the regular Spartan.

inline phillips is awsome but i don't like any electronic part in my knife. i think those can be brake down easily. also the can opener's screwdriver works on phillips screws too. super thinker seems very good too also it is 1 layer less but don't you think the phillips screwdriver on the middle is alittle odd :D ?

inline phillips is awsome but i don't like any electronic part in my knife. i think those can be brake down easily. also the can opener's screwdriver works on phillips screws too. super thinker seems very good too also it is 1 layer less but don't you think the phillips screwdriver on the middle is alittle odd :D ?

Although it's true the small screwdriver works on ph screws, the can opener blade often interferes with access to a screw, like when it's countersunk, and it doesn't work on all cross heads. Also, it isn't very strong. Some of my Vic small blade drivers are twisted from torque that wouldn't have affected the backspring mounted ph driver, but even that one has its limitations. Because of its location, the shank is a bit short and hand position is awkward, but there is no other place to put it. Both give you an option of one mediocre light use screwdriver or another. Still, I just can't tell you how many times they have come in handy.

I've been using various models of Victorinox SAK for about 35 years. The reason I carry a SAK at all, obviously, is for the useful tools. The one that has everything I use on a regular basis is the Ranger, which is exactly like the Huntsman except that it has the metal file/saw, which I use infrequently but regularly, and an extra bay (unfortunately). I really love the Farmer, but I gave away the one I bought recently because it doesn't have the scissors or tweezers. If you don't use such things, I understand and wish I was in the same boat, but without 'em my nails and nose hairs would get completely out of control.

Or you could have a sak custom made to your wants. I've did that 3 times now. Woot woot :D

Sent from Ash forum mobile

I have the Huntsman - actually two of them, both of which I found. I've gotten a ton of use out of both, and they've held up really well, even though both had been run over in the road :eek: before I found them. Carried one for 15+ years, retired it (to keep it for my son) and I'm still carry the second one when hiking & camping.

I'm getting on a used Farmer here soon. I have several old SAK's, all with good scissors, and I may switch out the saw for scissors later.

I always have the little Classic on my Keychain, so I'll always have the toothpick and tweezers.

~Chris

inline phillips is awsome but i don't like any electronic part in my knife. i think those can be brake down easily.

So? It's not like the whole knife stops working if the flashlight stops working.

also the can opener's screwdriver works on phillips screws too. super thinker seems very good too also it is 1 layer less but don't you think the phillips screwdriver on the middle is alittle odd :D ?

Yeah, I don't like the T-handle phillips, if I have a choice. The T-handle really limits it. Using the can-opener screwdriver tip on #2 phillips is risky business. The can opener is actually sharp enough to cut me if it closes up on me while I'm trying to use the wrong tool for the job.

Recently, I picked up a Cybertool 34. Now THAT has proper screwdrivers! It also doesn't go without the scissors. But it's 4 layers; too much.

Knife Crazied and others: where are you having custom SAKs made for you? Does SwissBianco do this?

So? It's not like the whole knife stops working if the flashlight stops working.

Yeah, I don't like the T-handle phillips, if I have a choice. The T-handle really limits it. Using the can-opener screwdriver tip on #2 phillips is risky business. The can opener is actually sharp enough to cut me if it closes up on me while I'm trying to use the wrong tool for the job.

Recently, I picked up a Cybertool 34. Now THAT has proper screwdrivers! It also doesn't go without the scissors. But it's 4 layers; too much.

yeah you are right but if you search for versatility i think corckscrew is better for the t-phillips. because you can't do some heavy-duty work with either the can opener screwdriver or the t-shaped. inline phillips is very good but it's limited to some models :( (i think 91 mm woodsman was the best) i have a question about cybertool.is it's screwdriver good? they look fragile to me (the L shape)

In my hiking system, there's a Huntsman with added mini screw driver and pin in the rucksack and a Farmer in the pocket. The Farmer is thinner and for the outdoors it has the tools I use most. I carry the Huntsman primarily for the scissors. One great thing of the Farmer is the awl, which is a great tool for many tasks. For all round use, including urban EDC, I would prefer the Huntsman, again mainly since it has scissors, but toothpick and tweezers can be handy too.

Back