Victorinox Pioneer X

Mine arrived today and I like it ALOT:D:thumbsup:
hvIRIs.jpg

I like the logo on the pile side:thumbsup:
19VfNN.jpg

Anyone think the scissors is a nice addition to the Pioneer? Got one for my Bday and carry it all the time.
It's awesome, and in fact, I think I may have been the one to push them to make the knife. I am (or was) the #1 reviewer on their site, and I also reviewed their old Soldier, Pioneer everywhere I went and said it needed scissors, not a saw. Now, the only thing keeping it from being perfect is the lack of a toothpick & tweezers.

This is not the 60s any more. Why can't we have the rugged Alox handles AND scale tools. Is that too daunting of an engineering task for the designers over at Victorinox? o_O

It's awesome, and in fact, I think I may have been the one to push them to make the knife. I am (or was) the #1 reviewer on their site, and I also reviewed their old Soldier, Pioneer everywhere I went and said it needed scissors, not a saw. Now, the only thing keeping it from being perfect is the lack of a toothpick & tweezers.

This is not the 60s any more. Why can't we have the rugged Alox handles AND scale tools. Is that too daunting of an engineering task for the designers over at Victorinox? o_O

I want alox + scale tools too! :rolleyes:

Steady down turbo, there were a few people asking for the pioneer X, though I'm sure you did contribute. As for why no scale tools on Alox, I can only guess based on a copper scale set I got from swissbianco, the tools rely on both friction between the tool and scale, but also a little bit of give from the scale. Since the copper scale has little to no give worth mentioning, all the friction is on the tool, and it quickly wears and becomes too hard to keep in the slot. There are a few things that can be done, but they are limited at best, and not long term solutions. From what I understand from the guys who have made TI scale sets, they have to make compromises that are not necessary with nylon or cellidor.

Another thing to consider is the machining process. The only practical solution to creating the pockets for the scale tools would be to add liners to the Alox models, thereby adding to their thickness. It would be much easier to make aluminum scales for the Cellidor models, and as gadgetgeek noted, that creates new issues as well.

As much as I like the Alox Pioneer X, I decided that I wanted to mod one and make what I call an "Old School Pioneer X Compact". The stag scales and bolsters sort of defeat the purpose of slimming the package down to 2 layers, but I like it.

IMG_1201.jpg

The corkscrew holds the little tiny screw driver, very handy if you wear glasses. The corkscrew can be a reasonable o-ring pick too. And I've been surprised how many times in my life there has been a bottle of wine that needed opening and no one else thought to bring a corkscrew...

Back