Victorinox Scientist

Gold Member
I remember hearing about the Scientist years ago but hadn’t even thought of it until I stumbled across one on an auction site. Due to the outrageous price I promptly left it there, but thought that’d be a great one for Victorinox to resurrect. Extremely practical tools, especially the magnifying glass as I get older, and in a small package. Just curious if anyone here has one?

Yes and no. I wouldn't pay the prices they command, but I've taken apart a bunch of Explorers and Waiters that can be had pretty cheap and built a number of Scientists of my own. I also did a "Cybertist" - main blade, combo tool, bit driver and bit storage, LED light and magnifier, which pretty much replaced it.

Last edited:
In poking around I saw the yeoman is more or less the same plus scissors. Also seems extremely practical, but about the only time I use scissors on a SAK is fishing. yablanowitz yablanowitz I’ve never taken one apart to build another, and not sure I want to, but perhaps someday I’ll get bored enough to give it a try. It’d just be easier if Victorinox did it for me:D

Yep, the (also discontinued) Yeoman is a Scientist plus scissors. Three layers, so not as compact, but it might be easier to find.

Swiss Bianco had a batch of Scientists made up a few years back using the current clear frame magnifier and shorter layer Phillips that goes with it.

I wanted to upgrade my tinker to a model with the inline Philips and I really wanted the scientist or the Yeoman but couldn’t find either for a good price. I ended up settling for the Explorer.

Back