Victorinox SwissTool vs. Leatherman Wave

Leatherman sucks. But a Victorinox spirit! The Vic is in a completely different class and it costs less money.

This old thread was bumped by someone trying to sell their wave, kind of ironic.

Bumped by someone who's not. I perfer spirit by victorinox. The tool is repairable. The steel is made to bend and not break as I found on my Leathermans. Leatherman quality lately has fallen. Helping anyone how interesting in a good quality multi tool. Other's brand SOG, or older American Schrade model were similar to Victorinox. I miss the best multi tool I ever owned. Made by Schrade and Visegrip model was 6lc made around 2002. Left it behind on a job and it was gone forever. If you find a 6lc model get it.

Superduty, the bump post said he had a wave, make offer. That's the bump I saw, first post since 2002 was that one. So he bumped trying to sell a wave.

I have both the Wave and the Swisstool (I am a fan of both Victorinox and Leatherman). I find myself a little more comfortable carrying/using the Wave than the Swisstool, though the Swisstool is probably of a better quality. This is no knock on the Wave, as IMO, Victorinox has awesome quality. I like the size of the Wave a bit better, but the Swisstool has things not on the Wave.

So I guess I *might* like the Wave a little better for EDC, though the Swisstool is probably stronger overall.
Jim
Since that post years ago, I've switched to the Victorinox Spirit, the one with the spear point knife blade in place of the scissors. It's now the tool that I carry every day. It's extremely solid, has the tools I want, and is just the right size. Also, the tools are easy to extract, much easier than the tools in my full-sized Swisstool.
Jim

I have never handled either, but I'd say go with your gut...since you say you like the swisstool better, ditch the wave and get one; or keep the wave as a backup...

Fascinating. I don't know if I've ever seen a double-zombie thread like this.

Truly remarkable.

Jmc1980, do you realize this thread was first created in 2002, was resurrected 7 years later, and now by your efforts, a year after that? I appreciate that you used the search, but doesn't this seem a little excessive? After all, the original poster last visited the forum in 2004, never even informing us of his decision.

Facing a similar dilemma, I decided on the Victorinox Spirit Plus, but only after finding it for half price on clearance at a national retailer's website. I expect to receive it shortly. Craigslist is also an excellent option. I narrowly missed out on a Wave for $25.

well heck...someone bumped it so... LEATHERMAN WAVE. UNBEATABLE...you can get them for $50 shipped on ebay new all day long.

well heck...someone bumped it so... LEATHERMAN WAVE. UNBEATABLE...you can get them for $50 shipped on ebay new all day long.

I don't see the point in buying a new LM Wave - my 10 year old one is still working fine despite me carrying it every day since I bought it.

Fascinating. I don't know if I've ever seen a double-zombie thread like this.

Truly remarkable.

Jmc1980, do you realize this thread was first created in 2002, was resurrected 7 years later, and now by your efforts, a year after that? I appreciate that you used the search, but doesn't this seem a little excessive? After all, the original poster last visited the forum in 2004, never even informing us of his decision.

Facing a similar dilemma, I decided on the Victorinox Spirit Plus, but only after finding it for half price on clearance at a national retailer's website. I expect to receive it shortly. Craigslist is also an excellent option. I narrowly missed out on a Wave for $25.
xxxxx

Last edited:
I don't see the point in buying a new LM Wave - my 10 year old one is still working fine despite me carrying it every day since I bought it.

That is exactly my point...they are THAT GOOD. But I never bought one that wasn't the newest model.

Well, since this thread is ALMOST as old as my SwissTool, I thought I'd chime in.

My SwissTool was the best gift I've ever received! I've been using it a solid 10 years, and nothing is broken, worn out, or unusable. All the tools have been used. This thing has seen more use than all my other knives put together.

I like the fact that the handles provide a comfortable grip, the tools are accessible from the closed position (wasn't an option on Leatherman tools, when I received the SwissTool) and individually back-springed (prevents clumping), and the steel in the blades is decent. My only issue is the wood saw is slightly bent, after some heavy use. The teeth are still sharp, though.

Even though the thing is pretty heavy, and a little larger than the Wave, I wouldn't trade it away for anything.

Ha, I know this is the zombie thread that just won't die, but I recently found myself looking for a mulit-tool, and I'm kind of a research freak, so I spent quite a bit of time on-line watching utube reviews, reading forum threads, and comparing features from company websites.

I found threads like this one to be the biggest help in making my decision (Victorinox Spirit-X), and I have to say that I have really been enjoying the heck out of this tool. At 7.3 oz. (8.4 with leather sheath) it sure is a dense piece of gear, but I don't notice it on my belt, and the quality of the materials and workmanship make up for any extra weight.

Anyway, thanks for the honest and open discussion :). It was quite helpful.

Interesting. I used to like Leathermans (still like the original), but have snapped the pliers on my wave with just hand pressure, and not that much at all. Switched over to Swisstool several years back, and am happy I did.

Yeah, it's an old thread, but better to resurrect than re-start the topic, IMO.

I came across this double zombie thread recently. About a year ago, I purchases several modern Leather man multi-tools predominantly for people at work and a Charge Ti for myself. I have two USA made Leathermans from years ago that are superb, but they are lacking in features. I was completely dissapointed with the overall fit, finish and quality of the Leatherman tools. On the Charge Ti, I opted for the leather sheath. After carrying this to six months, I am totally dissapointed. The sheath has stretched and hangs away from the belt. The two little attachments of leather to allow MOLLE attachment is too weak for the weight of the tool. This makes it feel very heavy on the belt. Also' the only Phillips head screw driver comes in the bit driver, and it got pulled off the tool and lost in the woods when making a carb. adjustment on my ATV. The bit pack that comes with it does not have a spare Phillips bit. Retention of the bits is pathetic as I only bumped it on a vacume line when extracting the tool. I was looking for something better. Note: I know that this thread is focussed on the Wave. The Charge , in my opinion, should be a far superior tool to the Wave, so I mention it here.

I recently got a Victornox Swisstool Spirit. This tool has been carried for a few days now, and I hardly know it is on my belt. The fit, finish and build quality of this tool is hands down superior to any of the modern Leatherman tools I have handled by at least an order of magnitude. The plus versions of the Spirit do have bits and drivers, like the Charge, but the main tool also has a fixed Phillips head that won't pull off and get lost in the woods. The pliers are extremely comfortable to use due to the curved ergonomics of the tool. I am completely sold on the Victornox line of multi-tools. I will never own another Leatherman tool unless they bring manufacturing back to the USA, and get back to the quality product that they built their reputation on in the first place. You will likely see four modern high end Leathermans for sale here on this forum. On second thought, I do not want to tarnish my reputation by selling someone this crap. I will leave them in a drawer until I die, and my wife or surviving family members can through them in a dumpster.

Last edited:
I will also add that Swisstool Spirit does have a serrated blade that I do not like at all. Not to worry, there is an X version with a plain blade. This does not bother me at all as I always have at least 3 other knives on me most of the time. I always use one of them for general cutting tasks. Additionally, the S30V steel of the Charge is superior to the Victornox, but like is said, I rarely, if ever, use my MT for cutting.

I've had my LM Wave for about 12 years now and have used and abused it quite extensively. Very comfortable and no signs of wear, loose parts or fatigue. Could not be happier with it. I would like to check out a Swisstool though and see how they compare.

Call Guinness...... quadruple zombie thread.

Joke of the day......what does Jason Voorhees and this thread have in common??

Back