Victorinox Tinker and Spartan appreciation thread.

I carried a tinker and used it alot especially at trade shows in the 90's and early early 00's. Phillips head screws were used by the manufacturers I was working with at that time. Oh the fate of the tinker they do the work but the spartan gets the call at vino time.

Great read! Usually carry my Champion Plus on my belt and a Spyderco or now the new Buck 112 slim pocket carry.
Maybe time to switch it up. Super Tinker in pocket and Buck 112 on the belt.
Will look into a two layer carry but gotta have scissors.
DN

Last edited:
I bought a Small Tinker in 1989, I think, after I lost a 3 bladed Old Timer stockman in the Marines. A little parachute cord affirmed I wouldn’t lose this one. I have carried that knife almost exclusively up until a little over a year ago. It’s done things knives aren’t meant to do, but it’s what I had at the time. I never intended on opening anything with a cork, since beer cans and bottles don’t use them, so I never thought I’d use a corkscrew. But dang, that little eyeglass size screwdriver tha you can store in a screwdriver would’ve come in handy. Had they existed in ‘89 or if I would’ve known about them I might have gone the Spartan route. Especially when I learned a few years ago, from a YouTube video, that the can opener works quite well on a Phillips head screw, even better than the Phillips screwdriver on the Tinker!! I do have other SAK’s now, one for each vehicle, the boat and in my hunting pack that have more tools on them. But if I really need more than a Spartan or Tinker could offer then I’d be better off grabbing a tool kit.

You gotta be kiddin me, Corkscrew!! And until now i always thought it was the eyeglass screwdriver holder?
upload_2019-2-25_15-42-7.jpeg
Learn something new here everyday....:D

This is the one i found on a bridge while cycling. It’s scuffed up and notice the broken scale to the left. Think its a Spartan?

Ok a little research and I found out its not a Spartan but a Standard as it doesn’t have the scale tools. Still closely related as the standard is like the father of the Spartan. Or the Spartan is like a Standard Plus lol

I’ve become a big fan of the deluxe tinker. The pliers are fine for light work but make an excellent pair of heavy duty tweezers

Reactions: HWF
I had to get some stuff at Walmart and decided to get them at Target as i knew they carry Victoinox Knives? They had one Spartan combo pack for $20 so why not?
upload_2019-2-26_12-4-48.jpeg
To my surprise it rang up $7.48 lol. Clearance!

I went back to the Rack to see if the Huntsman with sheath $34.99 would ring up at a clearance price but no joy :mad:

Nice thing about the spartan, it's available with walnut handle scales for a bit extra!:thumbsup:

Back