Victorinox Voyager Lite

My Voyager Lite arrived today, and basically it's an Explorer Plus, with the Time module on the scales and a white LED instead of the magnifier. There are two interesting little quirks, both I think are small pluses. First, the (IMO) useless "multipurpose hook", now has a small (and I mean SMALL!) diamond or carbide file on the back of it. You can use it, but it's somewhat difficult because the width is at most 3mm. Well, a small file is better than no file and at least now the hook has SOME purpose. The other change is that the tweezers are about 1 cm shorter than on a standard Vic. They're actually a bit easier to control (at least for me). Now the part you're all interested in, the LED. It's much more of a flood type light than a spot, and has a fairly bluish tint to it. It uses 2 1225 cells and provides probably a little less output as a photon. It's difficult to say because the beam is MUCH wider than a photon. The light is not removable, but it's easy to change the batteries. The clock/alarm/timer works very well and the control is very intuitive. It's a handy rool, and the alarm is slightly louder than most watch alarms. The switch for the light is well thought out and, you press it toward you to turn it on. This prevents accidental battery discharge. Form factor is a tad bit bigger than an Explorer, due to the extra 3mm on the scale to accomadate the clock. It's a tad big for pocket carry, but is managable. I intend to use it for travel mostly, so I think it will work well.The obvious bonus being a back-up alarm and a small LED at the bedside in a dark hotel room. This would make a nice addition to a bug out bag.
Finally the price....MSRP is $90, which I wouldn't fork over for this knife. I got mine on eBay for $61 including shipping, which is a fair price. I think there is also a Huntsman Lite which is considerably less, but does away with the clock/timer feature. Overall, it's a nice package.

The Huntsman Lite also has a extra phillips screwdriver, a pen and the little screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew as well as the led light. great knife.

Rentals

Back