Vildmark Custom Order Thread!

Its rainy out so my pictures aren't great (who am I kidding, my pictures never do justice to Chris's knives:rolleyes::rolleyes:), but I love the Vildmark. As usual, the attention to detail in Chris's knives is amazing, and I'm really loving the Swedge:thumbsup::thumbsup:. Makes me want one with a sharpened top edge:eek:.
Thanks Chris, I love it and it matches the Warthog perfectly:D
gLAjj9X.jpg

y7y8kQc.jpg

go59cx1.jpg

I appreciate the yucky weather photos as much as the beautiful day shots, the little drops of rain on the blade can be annoying but for the viewer, I think most would agree adds character and depth to the photo. I thank you for taking the time out of your day to take a few photos and post them up for us to gander at. I sure do enjoy looking at them!

View attachment 1011043 View attachment 1011036
View attachment 1011300
This Koa has a lot going on in it that’s pretty difficult to capture in a photo.
But here she is :D
Chris and I decided to go with an antique micarta pin but black lanyard tube (liners are also black). I think it came out very nicely :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Christian, that Koa like you said has alot going on. I take photos of Koa alot and kind it one of the most challenging woods to photograph. I think you did a mighty fine job though. I really like how the opposing pin materials contrast with each other and the wood. Thank you for sharing with us.

Looks great! :thumbsup:
Quick thoughts:
I don’t remember if it was in Kevin’s article (likely) or elsewhere, but I do remember reading a brief description of the origins of the Vildmark name and its intended use. I think it would be nice if that were added.
Also, in addition to the blade stock, OAL and blade length, I also find blade height (spine to sharpened edge at the ricasso) to be a useful measure when comparing models. (This would be especially true for models that come in guardless or “K” variants). I find it helps me get a better idea of how the knife can be used and of the taper of the blade. For example, I also have a (K) Apache, whose overall size is similar to the Vildmark and has the same blade stock but a taller blade. While I have no doubts that it would withstand hard use, if I was expecting to mostly do wood work, I would lean towards taking the Vildmark because of the more obtuse angle of the blade (a little more meat behind the edge) so that I would be less concerned about damaging the blade if I were to baton or twist it.
Finally, and with apologies to everyone else, we need to get one of these into Danny’s ( @FeralGentleman ) hands because he takes the best outdoor/in-use knife pics :)

I agree with all of this, the website has been a work in progress, usually at the end of the day when I get home and am caught up I will jump on and tweak the site as well as add material. I will work on adding this stuff as I find the time. I agree we need to hook Danny up with a Vildmark. I am a huge fan of his photography.

Hosted on Fotki
Here's my new Vildmark. Great knife. Its quickly becoming a favorite!

Thats pretty cool!! I'm going to have to save this picture! Thank you for taking and sharing. I can only imagine the looks you got. If you where caught in the act. LOL

I see one of these in my near future. That handle and overall size looks perfect.

I will get you hooked up Big Deal Bob!

Bob, if you have the funds, I would seriously consider the one that's still available on Chris's site. It has the presentation grade koa, which I can attest is beautiful, since I got the same stuff on my Feroxi. Oyster is right, the chatoyance on the Koa Chris gets is drop dead gorgeous and can only be appreciated when you see it in person. The knife itself is incredible, and seems it would do anything you'd like a sub-4" blade to do. Super comfy ergos, and the perfect craftsmanship, of course. It's really a slam dunk, home run, touchdown, etc. etc. You get the drift. :D

Thank you for putting the word out, and the compliments, I appreciate it.

To say that I'm pleased with how this knife turned out would be a gross understatement. Chris did an absolutely outstanding job on material selection, aesthetic design, heat treat, finish, sharpening... just everything! It's appearance, however, is only part of the story.

45320740834_59d36a4d96_b.jpg

46045210531_acdb056af0_b.jpg

45320741414_5acc143cf4_b.jpg

The Vildmark design is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Every time I pick it up, I'm struck by how comfortable the handle feels and how well it fits my hand. The balance is very neutral making the knife feel nimble and controllable. It feels substantial in my hand without being uncomfortably large. The handle is curvier (see spine shots) and fuller than my other OKTs.

44589933755_11c062a6ca_b.jpg

46045211041_8545c341de_b.jpg

Without question, I love the taper at the front of the handle. Some knife makers grind out a "thumb scallop", but the Vildmark's taper has no such arc; it's flat from top to bottom. I prefer this over a "scallop" since it provides more flexibility and doesn't direct your thumb to the center. The angle of the taper is just right for a more comfortable, positive pinch grip, and gets your thumb a bit closer to the face of the blade, which, at least to me, feels like it provides more control.

To try this baby out, I started with a little feather sticking, and the Vildmark makes it easy. After doing that a few minutes, I switched to a Warthog to try the same, and I was surprised at how much narrower the Warthog's handle felt. Not that either knife's handle felt bad or uncomfortable, just the size difference was very apparent. I've always liked the Warthog's handle, and still do, but it wasn't until this comparison that I realized how much wider the Vildmark's handle is -- and it is in the width, rather than height. A Fiddleback Bush Hermit, in comparison, has a much taller handle than most. The Vildmark's extra width comes in the center of the handle in it's palm swell -- again very curvy. It fills my hand nicely and probably helps prevent hand cramps and fatigue during long sessions.

31105998647_8af77551d1_b.jpg

31106000007_287c8e1bfc_b.jpg

45320743274_9908d7e4ac_b.jpg

The Vildmark did exceptionally well cutting notches. I was able to easily do detailed work, and it felt like I had a lot of control for a knife of this size.

46045212901_d0845bb65f_b.jpg

Speaking of size, at 3.85 inches, the Vildmark isn't a small knife, but it's blade is still a tad short to comfortably baton the material I typically start with (honestly, I should use an axe for those anyway). Once those first couple of splits are done or by using narrower material, though, the Vildmark works great. Having said this, I think the Vildmark is the perfect size for most things you'd want to do with it. As I said above, it's quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

The Vildmark held its edge perfectly though all of this.

46045213591_578378e327_b.jpg

31105996557_ffeaf21c96_b.jpg

46045211851_d82d29aa0a_b.jpg

31106001187_bb20198b8a_b.jpg

45320743774_0c615e3fda_b.jpg

Back