Weight --21 oz
Spine thickness -- Near 3/8''
White metal fittings
Asare wood handle
$60"
I'm here with an update and some storytime
Here it is in its current state
9sn1O4e.jpg

Still at 21oz and some change, the extra 3/4 oz might be from the manzanita handle that I turned to replace the original asare handle.
Lb8xbq8.jpg

5/16" think might seem slim for an HI khuk, but I absolutely love the feel of this knife and when backpacking in the wilderness the slimmer blade is a must.
e4jbbSp.jpg

With an overall length of 16" the Khukuri maintains 1.3oz per inch

But onto bridge building
lCl29oc.jpg

I work and live in the wilderness of a national park over the summer. The khukuri normally lives next to the camp woodpile where it makes short work of pine logs into kindling. We have access to both axes and chainsaws so I do very little crazy work with the knife, as outright chopping is easier done with larger tools, but in its niche the khukuri is both effective and a hell of a lot of fun.
uznTZ8P.jpg

One thing that the khukuri does better than anything else is debark logs, it is better than most all of the drawknives we have even excepting the antique drawknives made by craftsmen that actually knew what they were doing.
hIFgRWD.jpg

In this project we didnt have access to those tools, but the khukuri made short work of our bridge's logs anyway

ZpJEQlQ.jpg

This bridge required three 25ft long stringers, two sill logs and 20 deckboards. All of these had to be debarked to prevent premature rotting of the wood

LpRcesx.jpg

In addition we debarked several small logs to make check steps in order to prevent erosion next to the job site, you can see the old bridge that we are replacing above.

bYKYiV5.jpg

Heres the villager in all its sappy glory

FBufpGch.jpg

Kami medical fund sheath still kicking

Hope you all like seeing what one HI khuk is doing to help maintain public trails in the backcountry of our national parks!

Last edited:
Very underrated tools to be sure, but man they can do some work.

If you were to drop me in the middle of nowhere with only one tool, the KLVUK would probably be my blade of choice.

Here's just some context on my job
1Nm0ZsL.jpg

I live and work on a stock based crew, we ride horses and lead mules that carry our tools.

WnhHRBK.jpg

Heres a couple of the buddies that help us do our jobs and carry our resupplies weekly

5MKPy1R.jpg

We cover about 100 miles of trail on our job and get to hike or ride or helicopter to some really fantastic vistas. We keep the trails maintained and are also occasionally eyes and ears for the rangers helping them find missing hikers. Carrying a khukuri (or chimi-chonga according to my boss) out here has definitely become part of my persona and in my opinion is a must have in any back country camp.

Couple of fine looking mules. Very sturdy looking animals. I do love a good mule.

You do have a darn nice view out your office window.

Great use of the khukri and great pics. I'd say I'm jealous but I'm too old and too soft for that kind of work!

Really cool! Where is this?

A Khukri is a good tool, looks like you've been using it well. Thank you for all you do to keep the trails so nice!

Good on you! Great story about a real working khuk. From personal experience, they do come in handy on the trail. Thanks for sharing.

Thats not a job man! Thats a permanent vacation! Id give my left nad to just fill out a resume for that "job"! Great post and pics are fantastic! Keep posting your adventures! Good lookin mules and a sweet swimmin hole! My dogs would love it!
Thats a big dang saw man! What are yall cutting? I see why you got mules!

Back