Vintage Benchmade Identification

Trying to figure out exactly what models and approximate manufacture dates for these three. I appreciate your help!

K2XCN7h.jpg

1dSOrUO.jpg

2gIJOFu.jpg

bbW7jue.jpg

The bottom knife is either a 970 or a 975 (the Benchmade rendition of the Emerson CQC7), depending on its size (the 970 has a 3.25" blade; the 975 is around 3.9").

I would say that the middle knife is either a 970S or a 970S, depending on its size, but the lack of any Emerson markings on the back side of the blade -- and the weirdly low grind that goes straight all the way back to the scale instead of dipping downward just before -- make me suspicious of its authenticity. Can't rule out that Benchmade did in fact make a 970 with that grind shape (possibly as a prototype?), but I would seek out a more expert opinion to make sure that it's the real thing.

Benchmade started making the 970 around 1994 and ceased production in 1999, so authentic 970s will date from sometime in that period.

The bottom knife is either a 970 or a 975 (the Benchmade rendition of the Emerson CQC7), depending on its size (the 970 has a 3.25" blade; the 975 is around 3.9").

I would say that the middle knife is either a 970S or a 970S, depending on its size, but the lack of any Emerson markings on the back side of the blade -- and the weirdly low grind that goes straight all the way back to the scale instead of dipping downward just before -- make me suspicious of its authenticity. Can't rule out that Benchmade did in fact make a 970 with that grind shape (possibly as a prototype?), but I would seek out a more expert opinion to make sure that it's the real thing.

Benchmade started making the 970 around 1994 and ceased production in 1999, so authentic 970s will date from sometime in that period.

Thank you for your input. I cross-posted over on the BRL forum and a member stated it was likely a 970-ST. A titanium bladed knife made specifically for emergency use in highly corrosive areas. The coating on the edge is a tungsten tantalum carbide. It was used to increase the cutting ability of the titanium blade.

That's plausible. Looking at pictures of 970STs, the grind line and shape appear to be consistent with what's pictured.

The top knife is a 401 Panther. It was discontinued in 2000 and was likely made in the late 90's. The other 2 are both 970's. The middle is a 970S or 970ST and the bottom is a 970. The 970's were discontinued in 1998 and also likely made in the mid to late 90's.

Reactions: vba
Back