Photos Vintage Kienel & Piel XXL Scout knife

This is one of several projects i'm currently working on, a vintage XXL Fahrtenmesser/Scout knife manufactured by Kienel & Piel in Solingen, Germany.
In Germany knives this size were often used by hunters for clearing shooting stands etc, but basically by anyone in need of a good quality heavy chopper with a classic design.

Once used in the jungles of Suriname by Dutch soldiers of Third Suriname Company in the early 1960's, this knife was recently found sheathed in an attic during a house clearing after the owner had passed away.
It's blade was corroded black, somewhere in time it had been "sharpened" on a bench grinder, and all handle parts were loosened and dried out.
But as the blade was still structurally sound and i have a soft spot for vintage German knives it became another project.

I chose to regrind the originally saber ground blade to convex by hand using a Chinese 300 grit diamond file, which removed most of the corrosion & edge damage, while at the same time giving the knife a much more effective blade geometry for chopping.
Also did a few refining steps using waterproof SiC paper on a semi-hard rubber backing with WD40 as a lubricant, but just enough so i can do a bit of test chopping when time permits.
The new edge measures somewhere between 25 and 30 degrees inclusive, and i still have to remove the burr.
The original stag handle was way too thick & lumpy for my hand, so after glueing all parts together i gave it a bit more ergonomic & functional shape.
Especially the thinning of the handle just behind the guard while leaving a thicker midsection makes for a very comfortable hold with much less hand fatigue.

How i received the knife:

How it currently looks:

Specs:

Overall length: 17.4 inches (44,2 cm)
Blade length: 12.3 inches (31,3 cm)
Blade thickness: 4,5 mm
Steel: hot drop-forged carbon steel
Weight: 476 grams

Last edited:
Beautiful knife, excellent job! You gave it a new life, and it's one of a kind. Will you have a new sheath made?

The plan is to make a new sheath for it when i manage to find a few suitable pieces of good leather for it, but for the time being the old one will have to do.

Great knife, great history, great job.
The blackening in the sheath makes me think it was nickel-plated.

I have one of those, but the blade is just over 10 inches. Identical to yours other than that. Bought it at an antique show for $20. I believe it’s Nickel plated, as it has never shown a spot of rust.

Back