Vintage lobsters let's show'em

I started a thread to showcase the OrangeBlossom lobsters and thank you to all who joined in on that thread. Now I would like to expand and have a general thread on lobsters, pearl or otherwise. Most of my collection are pearl. There are a variety of designs making up the lobster family.

I am taking my descriptions from Levines IV “Equal-end lobsters with pointed “candle” ends and pinched sides are usually given fish names. Those pinched near one end so that they look like a planarian, the flat-worm beloved of biology teachers, are called “fish candle-end lobsters” or “dolphins”.

I will start by showing a few of my meager collection of pearl Dolphins. If you’ve got some please post them.

The first one is a very rare ARROW / BRAND (1893-1915) made by Adolph Blaich. This one shows age on the blades , but functions very well with good snap and milled nickel silver liners. Charles (the small number tags are part of my catalog efforts.)
View attachment 260015View attachment 260016View attachment 260017View attachment 260018View attachment 260031

Last edited:
Beautiful lobsters, Chuko.

Funny that you mentioned planaria; that's the first thing I thought of when I saw your pics. :)

You need the matching keychain:
il_fullxfull.288057006.jpg

Here's an old Remington serpentine candle-end:
RemLobster01.jpg

RemLobster03.jpg

Rick: That's a nice Remington candle end lobster and with the blade etch still intact! Very hard to find. Charles

gent_knives1-1.jpg

Tough to shoot MOP. These are Schrade Walden and a Schrade Cut Co lobster, shown here with the stainless steel Zephyr.

pearl_marine2-3.jpg

A little better shot, with a couple of Marine Pearl senators.

Nice Schrade lobsters. You're right getting the shimmer and various colors of pearl is hard to do in photos. They seem flat versus what they look like in real life. I've always been drawn to mother of pearl in my pocket knife collecting. I've heard them referred to as pocket jewelry. Here is another Dolphin I*XL George Wostenholm with blade etch and milled brass liners. This one is mint. Charles

View attachment 260083View attachment 260084View attachment 260085View attachment 260086View attachment 260087

Last edited:
An art nouveau lobster from Wostenholm - IXL.

Attachments

• 8566.jpg
    8566.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 79
Here's one in nickel silver, and the other is stainless...

Schrademetal2.jpg

Glenn

Glenn: Nice Sheffield style lobsters. I can't make them out, what is the tang stamp or the maker on these. Charles

Glenn: Nice Sheffield style lobsters. I can't make them out, what is the tang stamp or the maker on these. Charles

Those are both Schrades...

A sleeveboard lobster by A.J. Jordan, the MOP unfortunately cracked despite the protective case bearing his AAA1 trademark.

Attachments

• 8560.jpg
    8560.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 43
That is a real vintage Sheffield style lobster. One of the problems we collectors of pearl have is the cracks, hairline at the pins, stress cracks, etc. But the knives are still great examples of the high art in early knife manufacture.

Here is another Western States (arched) over Boulder Colo, Dolphin lobster. Nickel silver liners. There is still some visible blade etch although it is faint.

View attachment 260175View attachment 260176View attachment 260177View attachment 260178View attachment 260179

Beautiful works of art. I have the same model of IXL as you have Charles. I was trying to figure out how to post pics of it, but I am now able to leave my figuring to another day. I am unable to open all three blades at the same time, the file catches and I am not about to force it. Is this common amongst lobsters?

Rob

Last edited:
I have not had the problem of the file binding or catching, but I understand not forcing.

Here is my OVB Pearl Dolphin Lobster Knife by Hibbard, Spencer, and Bartlett and is OVB (our very best) Clearly Etched on the Master Blade. It Has the Fraternal emblem of The Knights Of Pythias as an Enameled insignia. This one is only a 1 blade and file configuration similar to a candle end lobster.

View attachment 260232View attachment 260233View attachment 260234View attachment 260235View attachment 260236

Last edited:
More knice lobsters everyone. I think this one dates to just around either side of WWII. What do you call this shape.... coffin lobster?
05-12017-2.jpg

^^ Nice Warris Steve, certainly a coffin shape...

Here are four Ibberson lobsters.

The top three have silver scales, known as Prince George knives, their main cutting blades bear on two springs. 1940s. The top knife is engraved with the Sheffield coat of arms and the Lord Mayors signature. (1947)

The bottom knife was made as an anniversary novelty..the centenary of the Penny Black stamp..very rare (even more so as I've since lost the thing !)

DSC01632-1.jpg

Mick

All beautiful knives. I find it interesting that Victorinox is the only modern company still making a lobster pattern. Take a look at the Ambassador, Classic, Executive and (I think) Prince.

Thanks for sharing these jewels from your collections.

Rudd

Back