Vintage lobsters let's show'em

Time to bump this thread. Here is a serpentine lobster marked Trout Hardware (1896-1907). Looks like NYK pickbone covers, can't confirm if NYK made knives for Trout though. John's (aka Chief) photos really let you get close and personal with these old knives.

troutbonelobster1.jpg

troutbonelobster2.jpg

WOW Chuko, you have some really fantastic knives!!! I am posting this here because NY Knife made a lobster like this knife, Mark Zalesky did an article in KW August 2013 edition of a pearl example that was more like a lobster than mine. 3 1/4" closednyscimitar3.jpg

I remember that article. Your knife and the one in the article are New York Knife patterns that are rare indeed. I certainly have never seen one in person. Thanks for posting.

Charles

I don´t know if this qualifies as a "vintage lobster" - but it´s an old A. Schmitt, Solingen knife

I was on a major auction site, going for a hen and rooster lobster, missed that and went for this one, from a lesser known brand 'Protea', only a third of the price of the more sought after H&R, but I was very impressed by the finish on this, the blades are beautifully thinly ground, everything clicks so nicely into place, and the polish is very fine

Don't know the stamp, but that is a nice lobster with great F/F. Thanks for showing and renewing this thread.
Charles

Here is one of my newer additions, a Napanoch (1900-1919 & 1931-1939) shadow with whittler blades (but not a gunstock orange blossom). This fellow has very full blades.
Charles
napanochlobster1.jpg

napanochlobster2.jpg

New to the forum. I've picked up what I think to be an old-er lobster. AG Russell Hen and Rooster. It's stamped 585 which I believe is 14k gold. Any help with ID would be great. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
New to the forum. I've picked up what I think to be an old-er lobster. AG Russell Hen and Rooster. It's stamped 585 which I believe is 14k gold. Any help with ID would be great. Thanks for the help...stupid me can't figure out how to upload pics on here without a URL.

Please edit your post. As a registered member, you are not allowed to ask questions of value. Please reference the sticky:
NEW MEMBERS :: Please read this :: WHAT IS MY KNIFE WORTH?

To post pictures as a registered member, you must upload them to a web hosting site. Many are free. Photobucket is a popular one. Once uploaded, if the site provides IMG code, you can copy that and paste it into your post. If the site does not provide IMG code, then you can copy the web address and paste it into your post, wrapped in BBS code like this:

Since this thread has been reignited I will post my quill pen lobster here.
Charles

My fancy quill knife

Description on page 242 Sheffield Exhibition Knives “Parkin and Marshall, Sheffield, a 3 1/4” lobster pattern quill knife with eight blades, four on each side. All are pen blades, except one ink eraser blade and one manicure blade. It has scalloped pearl handles with scalloped liners: the pearl is pique’ on each side with clamshell-type bolsters and an oval nickel silver shield”
One blade is broken

sheffieldexhibition1.jpg

sheffieldexhibition2.jpg

wait! those are lobster picks, right? used to pry them critters open when eating. also used to to fully pick a crab.

Knives

The Mother of Pearl lobster knife is signed with the HK and the sailboat and the knife is about 3 1/8 inches closed. Has a toothpick and looks like a snuff spoon on the other side of the toothpick. The other knife pictured is my favorite and I took a pic of the tang stamp but it is really worn. This is signed made in Austria in circular lettering. Hope someone has an idea of the maker. I'm guessing the piece is 19th century. Anyhow thanks in advance for your help! Steve A. My smugmug acct is https://edad.smugmug.com/Knives/ you should be able to see the knives via this link:

https://edad.smugmug.com/Knives/

Last edited:
As evidenced in the above posts, Robeson made a good many lobster patterned knives, some of them unusual, like that curved one.

Here are some that were probably posted in The Old Knives thread, but they certainly fit here, as well.

Charlie, the above is an outstanding display of some fine lobsters. Your collection of Robeson Cutlery is a wonder for sure. Thank you so much for posting and sharing some of your mint knives.

Now that this thread is back on the front page I will add a couple to keep things going.

Hickory (Napanoch)
lambhickory1.jpg

Wade and Butcher
clWadeButcherLobsterweb1.jpg

Charles

Thanks.

Like you, I really like lobsters, especially pearl handled ones. Robeson did some bone handled ones, but they are few and far between.

I like that serpentine you just posted. BRL opined in LG-IV that that was a "rare" pattern.

The one I posted above has an oval metallic sticker on the back side handle that reads, "OIL THE JOINTS".

Last edited:
What a treat Charlie and Charles! Thanks for posting all the awesome pieces for us to oogle:thumbup:

Would this be a Lobster pattern ?

Italian Latavia with MOP handles. SS blades.

Oy01x11.jpg

o6nVQk5.jpg

Back