Vintage "Old Hickory" knives from Ontario Knife Co?

I was at a flea market and saw a group of vintage kitchen knives being sold for about $20. There are two carving style knives that are stamped "Old Hickory-True Edge-Ontario Knife Co" They look really similar to one of the Case 431-6 Camp knives. There was also an longer, thinner type knife of the same line, and an unrelated "Santa Fe" blade stamped from Triplex. I managed to talk the guy down to about $12 for the whole lot. But I wanted to know a little more about these knives. How old are they, and are they too valuable to put to work? I can post pics soon as I figure out how...lol

Probably 1095 steel. It is unlikely they have much monetary value but they are certainly capable knives. I've got a few I use around the kitchen. Use 'em!

I was at a flea market and saw a group of vintage kitchen knives being sold for about $20. There are two carving style knives that are stamped "Old Hickory-True Edge-Ontario Knife Co" They look really similar to one of the Case 431-6 Camp knives. There was also an longer, thinner type knife of the same line, and an unrelated "Santa Fe" blade stamped from Triplex. I managed to talk the guy down to about $12 for the whole lot. But I wanted to know a little more about these knives. How old are they, and are they too valuable to put to work? I can post pics soon as I figure out how...lol

If you have not bought them yet , you are missing out on some quality , old world cutlery.

They've been around for ever....I've re-handled a couple.
You can still find them new too. There's usually several on the Bay

IMG_0944.jpg

Purchased last year for $ 0.10 at the estate sale of Mrs. Powernoodle's grandmother:

Picture001.jpg

Are any of the new ones stamped with "Old Hickory" on the handle? I've heard they aren't to cut costs...

A friend gave me one much like powernoodle's from an old house he bought.
I was happy to use it. Good, unfancy knife.

Unfortunately my wife never liked it so a couple of years ago I decided to do
something about that:

Old Hickory copy

Dan, I really like your copy. When I re-handled my Old Hickory cleaver I used a rabbet tang with cocobolo and copper pins (like on your copy). What wood did you use on that handle? And it looks like you made the handle a little "taller" top to bottom but thinner side to side.

The handle is tulipwood. It's very close to the same profile as the original since I copied
the dimensions from it. Can't remember if the width is the same though. The steel is A2
instead of the Old Hickory 1095.

I always keep my eye out for them. They have a big fleamarket tomorrow so maybe I'll get lucky.

that big ole hick. is a 1st glimpse for me. bet it dates before the 50s.
dennis---i mean the one marked shapleigh

DSC004831.jpg

scimitar
we used these to cut our own new yorks & break down quarters. i think the butchers called them "breakin" knives. the henckels inscription says --"for cutting -not chopping".
dennis

those old -old hickory knives are amazing, my parents have a set, and they really do the job. if I saw a set I'd probably have to pick them up.

that big ole hick. is a 1st glimpse for me. bet it dates before the 50s.
dennis---i mean the one marked shapleigh

Yeah, that one came down to me through my granny on dad's side.
The blade is 12" long and it's in great shape for a knife it's age. :D

Along with it came an old French Chef's knife with integral bolster and tapered tang. The 12" blade also has a distal taper. The maker's name was long gone (worn off) when it came to me, but, it's an incredible piece too. Hopefully, the OP won't mind me hijacking his thread for a moment to post these pics of the Chef's knife:
MVC-003F-5.jpg

MVC-005F-1.jpg

Hi all,

Bumping this old thread. Today I found a 8" Chef knife that looks nearly identical to the one posted above. However, same problem, I can not see any ID makings on the blade. The handle has FOUR letters that appear to read : ALMG or ACMG or ACME or ALM8 or ALM0....darn it, I can't quite make it out. The letters are in a sort of DIAMOND Logo. The Knife appears to be FRENCH (style). Beautiful vintage 8" Carbon (French) knife scored at the "Flea Market" for three dollars!

The Knife looks a lot like this :
http://www.knife-depot.com/blog/wp-...arbon-steel-blade-chef-knife_200568868712.jpg

HARDBALL

Last edited:
Ah ah! Well, I'll be a Monkey's Uncle! Lookie what I just found doing another Google search :

http://castironguys.com/product/fre...f-knife-1940-1960-shipping-included-in-price/

French Made Acme high carbon steel chef knife (1940-1960) SHIPPING INCLUDED IN PRICE
This one is an old French made chef knife sold under the brand name Acme in the USA between the late 1940s and early 1960. Overall length is 17″ 1/4 inches, 11″ 1/4 of that being blade. scales (handles) are very nice and clean. Blade is razor sharp. Blade is marked Acme Quality first France Trademark)

While the knife I purchased looks different than the one pictured in the above link, I guess there was indeed a FRENCH made knife sold in the U.S. under the name ACME.

HARDBALL

Back