Viper Maga?

Really like the concept and aesthetics of this folder:

VP5910FCn.jpg

The Maga is the result of Viper's first collaboration with Boris Manasherov, designer of knives and instructor of the Israeli army martial art "Krav Maga". It is the first Viper knife to use thrust bearings in place of more traditional bronze washers and it makes for and excellent flipping knife. The opening is incredibly smooth and fast guaranteed by the bearings and the excellent ergonomics of the handle allow extremely fast response times. The versatility of use is guaranteed by the choice between plain or partially serrated edge and the choice of handle materials. All feature the excellent steel Bohler N690Co for the blade.

SpecificationsBlade Length: 3.625"
Blade Steel: Bohler N690Co Stainless Steel, 58-60HRC
Thickness: 0.14"
Overall Length: 8.25"
Handle Material: Cocobolo
Weight: 5.2 oz.
Made in Italy

Has anyone had any experience with this knife, of Viper knives in general? The reviews all seem positive but I figured I'd check with the authorities...

I'm not familiar with Viper, sorry. Interesting design, it reminds me a bit of Laci Szabo's collaboration with Spyderco, the Spyderfly.

Is it intended to be used primarily in reverse grip (tip down, edge out)?

Viper makes enough knives which can be waved. This one clearly has an almost Emerson-esque wave. Their Viper Keeper knife has dual cross guards attatched to the blade which means it can be waved as well. I love waved knives because it turns your EDC folders into viable self defense options for up close altercations. People who haven't seen a knife waved before are often quite intimidated by the folding knife opening like that with the loud characteristic wave *CRACK!!* I bet alot of altercations could be ended with that noise alone.

The only thing I have to say is when I looked at these Viper knives the liner lock bar seemed to be made of quote thin material. I am not sure if it is steel. Apparently this is not a problem though.

The slight forward cant of the blade almost makes it look, to my mind, like if willumsen and emerson had a baby.

I think I'd like it.

How much? I guess if I have to ask....

It indeed does resemble the Spyderco Szabo. Looked at that for a bit as well.

It being wave-able is one of the major selling points, to me. I carried A Spyderco Pikal for a bit when I was younger.

Really digging the look of this one in wood.

I like the wave but it is HELL on pockets!

I'm not one to emphasize lock strength in general, but I'd say if this were intended to be used similarly to the Spyderfly (which I have, and it's AWESOME) I'd want to be sure of the lock due to the stress put on the spine. Evidently Szabo spent a lot of time working on that with Spyderco and they use a very stout compression lock, I have no worries that thing will close accidentally.

Cool knife, never handled a viper before... that blade shape seems hell to sharpen though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it wouldn't be bad on a sharpmaker, just have to sharpen it grind at a time. Its just a hawkbill with a drop-point on the end of it...

Order has been placed, going to mod the eff out of it when it arrives. Full review to be posted.

Thinking of doing some fine checkering on the wood handle...

Damn Anderson. The p'kal is my favourite knife for cityside SD. Honestly it is not too hookbilled so it can do ok for edc tasks. However it is definately not ideal for those edc tasks.

The Viper Maga is definately cool. Everything about the knife felt quality to me. Like I said I want to know how that liner lock holds up because I did find it abit thin. I also want to know if the lockbar is steel or titanium.

I personally don't care for the Maga but I do own two Viper Knives. A Fortis in M390 and a DAN. Both have excellent fit and finish and I'm very happy with them. The Viper Fortis get's plenty of pocket time. It's a great knife. I would not hesitate to buy a Viper from a reputable dealer.

Back