Viper Storm -- terrific Hinderer design with one caveat

flash900

Platinum Member
I was so excited about the Viper Storm I ordered two -- the CF and the G-10 versions. Both stonewashed. The satin models are priced higher and show scratches easier.

Out-of-the box, I loved the design. In size, it's between the Hinderer MP-1 and Half-Track at half the price with better blade steel.

The 4-inch handle allows for a great fit. But this is NOT one of those just-over 3-inch folders that are as easy to pocket carry as a slim 3-incher. A LionSteel TRE it's not. At 3.1 inches, with .16-inch bladestock and weight over 4 oz, this is a robust folder that gives the impression of being capable of serious business.

The clip on my G-10 Storm had too much "air" to tightly hold my thin summer running pants and shorts. It's fine for jeans. The clip on my CF version fit my running pants and shorts perfectly.

The Viper Storm is a snappy flipper without being overly strong like, for example, the 2015 ZTs. It's fun to use manually with the thumb studs. It even flicks nicely. The thumb studs are a bit closer than ideal to the cutout. This reminds me of one of my favorite folders, the Fantoni HB02. With both folders, my fingers quickly adjusted to using the studs.

Both Storms open smoothly and easily. The blades fall closed using just a light shake.

Out-of-the box, both Storms initially closed smoothly. I had asked my dealer to check for that and the sliced- open plastic baggies told me that he had.

But that quickly changed and both Storms began exhibiting that scraping noise that comes with the dreaded sticky lock bar symptom. A dead giveaway that a lockbar face with titanium liners lacks either a steel insert or carbidzing. The Storm has neither.

I tried break-in without success. Next, I added a tiny drop of Nano Oil to the G-10, which seemed to help at first. Then I saw black lube gushing out onto the blade. Someone who had known about the sticky issue had already lubed this Storm. A lot.

Then my second Storm, the CF, arrived. Same thing: smooth closing, quickly followed by a gritty stickiness. But this time the single drop of Nano worked. Closing still wasn't perfectly smooth but was acceptable.

Not so the G-10, which BHQ has authorized me to return.

The Viper Storm is a terrific design at an attractive price. It is marred by a single issue, which you may or may not be able to live with, depending upon how picky you are. I decided to live with the CF even though it is not perfect. I like it that much.

As for Viper, it should recall all the Storms and carbidize them.

At $200, give or take, the Storms should be as smooth as recent ZT models priced about the same. Instead, they are more like the original ZT 560s that were sometimes gritty and sometimes not until ZT did a better job of caridizing and finally added steel inserts.

You may or may not get a Storm that is acceptable to you. If you do, consider yourself lucky -- it's a Hinderer design that's definitely worth having.

Here is a fine video of the Storm by Tyler at GP Knives:

Here is a YT review by EDC Gear Reviews, who mentions the sticky issue:

Last edited:
Disassemble and Clean out and apply minimal lube and you should be fine.

As for ti I doubt that's going to wear carbodization or not. You can also send it to someone to get it carbadized if you prefer it.

Thanks. That may or may not work -- it doesn't always.

The point is that Viper should be doing this instead of asking customers to pay $200 for a product that still needs work.

I'm confused. Did it have issues with titanium lock bar stickiness and/or grittiness around the pivot?

Titanium lock bars rarely come with steel interface. I've only seen it on one of my CKF. My Fantoni titanium liner locks never had lock stickiness. Spyderco has/had a few titanium liners and most were fine. If you get oil on the titanium liner it'll exacerbate the stickiness.

I'm assuming both of your samples had centered blades unlike one of the video reviews?

The Storm looks to be about the same size and shape as the Fantoni HB02 specially after you remove the HBMS.

Removing the HBMS gives it a cleaner look and drops the weight to 4 ounces. As a matter of fact, I think they should sell the Storm without HMBS which is sold separately at BladeHQ for $19.95. That'll drop the price of the Storm plus the user can opt for a desired HMBS if at all.

Last edited:
The sticky lock bar on both Vipers was the only major issue I found. And the only issue other than the previously mentioned clip on the G-10 Viper.

I initially tried break-in, using the same time-honored technique many have had to endure with sticky Striders. That didn't work: the first Storm became progressively more sticky until I added a single drop of Nano Oil.

That's when I saw a black lubricant drain out onto the base of the blade. Someone had already diagnosed the sticky lock bar and added lube. The problem was known before these Vipers got to consumers.

The drop of Nano on the G-10 Viper helped at first. But the stick never went away. That's when the CF Viper arrived. I was pleasantly surprised when a drop of Nano seemed to mostly fix the stick.

if it gets sticky again, I'll try cleaning and delubing it.

For now, it's working pretty well and I don't want to mess with it.

Both of my Vipers were perfectly centered. And, as I mentioned, flip, open and drop smoothly.

Both Vipers were nicely made, although not as nice as my LionSteel TREs.

I like jimping and the Viper has it on the spine and the bottom near the tail of the handle.

The HBMS was easy to remove. I prefer the clean look of standoffs to backspacers. And I have no use (that I know of) for a glass-breaker.

The difference in weight without the HBMS is negligible.

The G-10 on the Storm is only moderately grippy -- it won't ruin your pants. I like what some call the organic feel of G-10 and I was sorry to return my G-10 Storm. That said, the CF Storm is better looking.

The looks of the Storm appeal to me. It is a welcome addition to my Hinderers: The MP-1, Half-Track, and 3 and 3.5-inch XM flippers.

Few things are perfect: Viper should do whatever is necessary to fix the stick.

Until then, buyers should check Viper's warranty and deal only with authorized dealers who accept returns.

Last edited:
Update re the second Viper Storm, the CF:

First it was sticky.
Next it wouldn't stay centered.
Now it has also developed blade play.

Conclusion: I really like the Hinderer design of the Viper Storm and it pains me greatly to say this:
Based upon these two samples, the Viper Storm is not ready for prime time.

Thank you for the review. I'm a real stickler for fit & finish. It's getting harder and harder for me to purchase a knife I haven't been able to hold.

I bought mine last week. I was a little surprised to see it's quite a bit larger than a 3" XM. Sort of like a Fatty. Fit and function have been perfect. My only complaint is how high it rides in the pocket due to clip location and the HMBS. So I ordered a deep carry clip and anticipate great EDC carry going forward.

Nice write-up. I had a few Vipers but didn't hold onto them. Overall they were pretty well-made but had some inconsistencies and little issues that bothered me.
I'd rather jump up to Reate for superior flipping action and quality.

I miss my two Storms and wish Viper would first acknowledge the issues and then fix them.

For now, it's too much of a gamble to recommend this otherwise nifty design.

I got the CF Storm with a stonewash blade, $20 cheaper for stonewash, plus it comes with the glass breaker backspacer.
I do feel it sticks too far out of the pocket for my liking, before I drop another $30 on a new clip, will any aftermarket Hinderer deep carry clips be compatible with the Storm?

I got the CF Storm with a stonewash blade, $20 cheaper for stonewash, plus it comes with the glass breaker backspacer.
I do feel it sticks too far out of the pocket for my liking, before I drop another $30 on a new clip, will any aftermarket Hinderer deep carry clips be compatible with the Storm?
I had a Hinderer clip on mine for a while and it fit perfectly.
Wasn't deep carry though.

I wish you luck in finding a Storm without issues. These are great-looking folders. Not at all like the poster who imagines they look like a cheap Ganzo.

I miss mine. And would get another in a heart-beat, if I could get one without issues.

It's unfortunate and disappointing that Viper has remained silent about the QC issues with its Storms.

Reactions: Mo2
I wish you luck in finding a Storm without issues. These are great-looking folders. Not at all like the poster who imagines they look like a cheap Ganzo.

I miss mine. And would get another in a heart-beat, if I could get one without issues.

It's unfortunate and disappointing that Viper has remained silent about the QC issues with its Storms.
Yup, took a bunch of tinkering and carbidizing to get mine to an acceptable level.
Makes me wonder....does Ganzo have these QC issues?;):rolleyes::poop:

Yup, took a bunch of tinkering and carbidizing to get mine to an acceptable level.
Makes me wonder....does Ganzo have these QC issues?;):rolleyes::poop:

Ganzo has been hit or miss for me. Most have been pretty well made, especially Ganzo's own designs, but most of their "replicas" have been pretty bad IMO.

yes, ganzo has a lot more issues.

but viper has several models with QC issues. if you look back they have for a long time now. and even the heat treatment for their blades is not on par with others. i believe they are made just for looking nice rather than a user knife. This is why i will avoid them at all costs no matter how good one of their models looks.

Back