Virginia knife law?

I’ve been very confused on the knife laws in Virginia? I think it’s legal to own most type of knives but illegal to conceal carry them. So if I buy something like a folding knife or even a utility knife like the one with a box cutter blade will it be illegal to put it in my pocket?

I'm in VA. I know you can't carry a concealed fix blade; don't know about the others. A/Os are OK - got ruling on that from State police and county sheriff. VA is usually pretty easy about enforcing knife laws (unless you are in other legal trouble). No regs on folders unless switchblades, stillettos or others directly mentioned in the law. Get a copy of the law off the 'net or ask a lawyer to be sure.
Rich

Virginia seems somewhat laid back in regards to knives. The only ones that would cause you trouble are autos. They have a weird law on that in which if you’re caught concealed carrying one they can consider it prima facie evidence of intent to sell. If you have any of those, it seems like you’re better off keeping them at home in a collection.

Last edited:
Back