Virus school closures

There was huge Spring break crowds..A lot of kids are taking home more than a sunburn. It's a darn shame the fear of getting it is. My granddaughter Dallas started to get sick from a cold about 10 days ago and all of us breathed a big sigh of relief when that was what it turned out to be.

WA St now under stay at home order. Critical operations only.

Ohio as well. I hope and pray this virus goes away before anyone else dies or gets sick and before we have another Great Depression. My job is considered "essential" so I still have work, but I feel for everyone that has been laid off or lost their job.

orange county fl locked down starting Thursday. Broward in s. fl already has been locked down. my county still open for now.....wont be long though. I'm considerd at state level and county levels essential, so I'll still be working. dont mind it, though.

I've been grounded (working at home) by my company for a week now, I did get an "essential Business employee" letter today to show if needed. Our governor (NC) has extended the school closure until 15 MAY. Several towns and counties are declaring themselves "closed" to all except essential workers (that is really a bluff more than anything else - takes martial law to enforce and arrest in that circumstance.) I don't mind staying home for a while but you still have to go to the grocery store for some things and the drug store for others. Certain medical appointments can be cancelled but others cannot. It is beginning to sort itself out, but the situation remains very fluid here. OH

Our President today said he's looking at April 12th to start lifting 'stay at home orders'. He thinks by then we can see the light at the end
of this tunnel on corona- virus. So, about 3 more weeks and we can start getting back to normal. DM

Last edited:
Kathy's Dad is staying with us since they closed Sunshine Skyway bridge except between 8:00am to 5:00 pm..He even bought a small Van with a small bed he set in back so he fish 24-7 if he felt like it. I have put off telling him this 'lock down' is really goin to have a direct effect on him because so far Marion County is not under a mandatory stay at home law. At 86 he's a stubborn old man and NOBODY is gonna tell him he can't go where he wants when he wants to go. Since the start of this epidemic I have tried to get ready for the effects I knew was going to happen to help my kids and grandchildren who simply didn't have the resources to stock up or prepare for it..So far my daughter and both granddaughter's have been laid off but I hope and pray that the worst economic effects are over by the end of summer. But I think the very worst is yet to come for folks trapped in the hot spots in New York and California..

Florida today demands any travelers who are coming from New York must self quarantine for 14 days..If any of ya'll want to see some uncensored Covid-19 news go to Pandemic.news

The writing is on the wall for old dinosaurs like me. Our education system will never be the same after this ordeal. High school that many of us knew will never be the same. HS will still exist though. Parents need our babysitting services.:eek:

You can now just call me Dino...:rolleyes:

On the bright side I killed two boars the other day with one shot. They stunk to high heaven so I just took the quarters and loins. Used my S30V OS small game knife to do the work. It's the 3rd hog for this knife and I still didn't need to sharpen it. It's a dang nice little knife. Perhaps my favorite user. No lines at the grocery store here.

Johns Hopkins University, sent this excellent summary to avoid contagion

share it with you because it is very clear:

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; they cannot kill what is not alive with anthobiotics, but quickly disintegrate its structure with everything said.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, be

cause it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates). ), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic). But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* This is super said, but you have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better. * Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

--

Professor of Social Anthropology and Middle Eastern Studies, emeritus.
Department of Anthropology.

Harvard Society of Fellows,
Harvard University,
Cambridge, Massachusetts.

I find it strange that a Phd in Anthropology makes you capable to write about micro biology. DM
David, I don't see where there is a PhD listed, but, many of those 'Fellows' do hold several PhDs(and other degrees) in different subjects. Anthropology, as a field, is very wide ranging.

Folks people in general have a hard time understanding the math behind the virus..double any number every 3 days and it doesn't take long to get to incredible numbers of infections. Covid-19 has around 2.4 infection rate (not counting super spreaders) and a dearh rate of 2% in countries with decent medical conditions and infrastructure. That is before they are overwhelmed. In Italy that's what happened in the hot spots. Because of lack of widespread testing here, even today, it's hard to guess the true numbers. Our death rate is slightly suspect because many deaths have not been confirmed because of the lack of tests. It will be a long time before we know the true infection rate in the USA right now. As far as Easter being the end of it I'm leaning towards Thanksgiving..

I’ve seen some of the numbers being thrown around and some are very suspect. When there are several sources with conflicting percentages from “experts “ that tells me something isn’t right and the timing and circumstances is just to coincidental. These are dark times with adversaries around the globe and here at home who don’t want us to be okay. I take all news reports with a grain of salt because many times they been fabricated.

pinnah..That is very frightening..The number of deaths for sure but the chaos that will happen even more so. No matter how you spin a turd it still stinks. There is some very, very smart folks who for various reasons are trying real hard to put a positive spin on this to not cause a panic in our country. The missteps and mistakes our government made early,particularly the lack of testing, is going to have a big impact in some parts of the US. New York especially. I'm really afraid that social order in the worst hot spots will fall apart. When you call 911 and nobody answers or comes..we all know what will happen then. Anywhere.

Back