Virus school closures

pjsjr pjsjr , I'm speaking toward the by line at the end. i.e. 'Professor of Social Anthropology'. I would think some person with a medical title would be writing on a virus subject.? DM

Last edited:
I'm speaking toward the by line at the end. i.e. 'Professor of Social Anthropology'. I would think some person with a medical title would be writing on a virus subject.? DM
David, my point was, as a Professor of Social Anthropology, he could hold several advanced degrees, in different fields. The likes of John Hopkins and Harvard get the best of the best.

He could. Many things are possible. I was merely reading what was put in print. And that to me would cause me to shy away. DM

David,

Which parts of the advice did you find incorrect or questionable?

EDIT: I have some doubts about the validity of this coming from Johns Hopkins. I have found several websites (none from Johns Hopkins) with this post and some show variation of who wrote the article—to me that suggests it may be a bit of a fraud. I have no idea about the accuracy of some of the advice and don't feel like spending the time to check it. My suggestion for people is to go to the Johns Hopkins site covering COVID-19 —they don't have this but they have plenty of good information.

Bert

Last edited:
Our Governor has been concerned about infected folks from Louisiana coming into Florida and has instructed State Police to set up checkpoints on I-10 to stop any car with Louisiana plates to take there names and inform them of the mandatory 14 day self quarantine. He also canceled new Vacation rentals and for folks whose time is up to go home. He sent National guard officers to the airports to take the names of all travelers from New York and New Jersey and other hot spots to inform them about the 14 day mandatory self quarantine. Still no mandatory state wide stay at home order yet but many local county's are doing that. There is still few tests for the virus available. All elective surgery including dental are postponed now at the VA hospital and for the last 2 weeks all entrances are staffed with a armed guard and 2 or 3 staff who screen you and give you a special wristband before you can come in. No TP in Walmart yet and lots of empty selves for canned meat except for the more expensive stuff. Post office and stores are putting up plastic screens to separate customers. More restaurants are closing because drive thru is not worth keeping it open. Many gun stores are being closed as non essential but liquor stores are booming! I'm now seeing more people wearing masks but have no idea how they got them. The check points on I-10 worry me but since that's totally new and just announced I haven't seen any news coverage yet about it. It's record high temperatures here this weekend but lots of people are trying to get out of New Orleans and other hot spots and stay here in Florida so I imagine our Governor will order a state wide stay at home lockdown this week..

All day I was in the shop, the cars driving by with music blaring was at an all time high. All millenials on the go. I'm surprised by the lack of attn younger people are giving this,

Mike, sad to say that after seeing all the young fools in action during spring break...no surprise here :(

All day I was in the shop, the cars driving by with music blaring was at an all time high. All millenials on the go. I'm surprised by the lack of attn younger people are giving this,

Mike, sad to say that after seeing all the young fools in action during spring break...no surprise here :(

I would like to point out that the average age of millennials is around 33 years old.... so they are not the ones on spring break. I am part of that age group and everyone I know is taking this very seriously.

Gallup Inc. defines Millennials as those born between 1983 and 2000. Those in the photos partying on Florida and South Padre Island beaches, I've seen look to fit in this age group. DM

Gallup Inc. defines Millennials as those born between 1983 and 2000. Those in the photos partying on Florida and South Padre Island beaches, I've seen look to fit in this age group. DM

So let me get this straight..... your own source cited 1983 as the start of the millennials. That would make a large majority well beyond the “partying on Florida and South Padre Island Beaches”. Not to mention the much more common accepted age group is 1981 to 1996( According to Pew Research). Also,Gallup seems to contradict your statement in this article they published.
https://www.gallup.com/workplace/231587/millennials-job-hopping-generation.aspx

Last edited:
We were finishing up trim details on a new $3.5 million public library that was closed due to Covid-19, 2 weeks after it's grand opening.

Every day at least 20 people showed up trying to gain entrance into the closed building, and everyone of them was well into retirement age.
We thought it ironic that the group of people at greatest risk were guilty of trying to gather at a public place.... I'm just making a point that every age group has folks guilty of poor judgement when it comes to the stay at home order.

I live on a short cut route.. Was out yesterday in my garage and the traffic past my house was pretty much non-stop.. We have a stay at home order here( Pgh, Pa) and they aint staying home..:rolleyes:
John

I would like to point out that the average age of millennials is around 33 years old.... so they are not the ones on spring break. I am part of that age group and everyone I know is taking this very seriously.

Thanks for the clarification.

Were we any different at a younger age? I wasn't. I was invincible...

Traveling the world as a sailor we heard the word of bad things that could alter or end our existence but 99% of us paid no heed to the warning.

That being said, I wasn't "Jackass" stupid either.:rolleyes:

Were we any different at a younger age? I wasn't. I was invincible...

Traveling the world as a sailor we heard the word of bad things that could alter or end our existence but 99% of us paid no heed to the warning.

That being said, I wasn't "Jackass" stupid either.:rolleyes:
At least Bob Wills is still the King:D:D

We raise our kids to be free thinkers, question authority and to live their own life, and we wonder why they are not following the rules:confused:

Wikipedia gives both Pew and the Gallup figure here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
So, the age block is broad, stretching from 21 to 37.
DM

and both Pew and Gallup in your linked article use the cut off of 1996. Right in the first paragraph it says the widely accepted age again is 1981-1996. By all means you can believe whatever you want, but coming from someone who earlier questioned sources of articles( as everyone should) I find it ironic that you cite sources for your beliefs that generally contradict what you are saying and cherry pick things that fit what you believe.

Back