Visiting Arthur Wright & Son (Pics)

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
On a quiet Sheffield street-corner, a somewhat run-down, and fairly anonymous, building houses the last Sheffield cutlery firm, which still produces high-carbon steel pocket-knives – Arthur Wright & Son. I visited the factory last week, and took a few photos, intending to post them in the Lambsfoot thread (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1406735-Guardians-of-The-Lambsfoot!), but since other patterns are included, I thought I’d better start a separate thread. My usual apologies for the poor standard of photography :eek:

Walking round the outside of the premises takes but a few minutes.

I received a warm welcome from John Maleham, the MD. Here he is with one of the firm’s traditional Whittle-Tang Bowies and some of their superb stag-handled steak knives.

As well as pocket-knives and sheath knives, they also make some scissors and surgical instruments at the factory. Having taken on three apprentices in the past few years, A.Wright & Son have a good mix of young and old employees. Here’s one of the younger fellers doing some forging, and kindly posing for a couple of pics.

This area is also where the knife blades and springs are blanked out using ancient presses. These are the leftover steel sheets from where Ettrick springs have been blanked out.

The last of the Howarth cutlers also operated from this factory before finally retiring.

There were only a couple of cutlers working in the grinding room. Again, they kindly let me take some pics of them at work.

There’s plenty of old equipment in the shop, stuff you’d struggle to get hold of today I think.

Here’s some finished knives, Ettricks, Pruners, and some Whittle-Tang Bowies.

Down in the stock room.

Hopefully I can visit again sometime :)

Nice to get a peek at the place where the knives are coming from, Jack. It is encouraging to hear they have hired on!! I hope they have a good and profitable run at it!!
Thanks for the look!

LOL! :D Sorry guys - MD - Managing Director! :thumbup:

Did you get my PM Charlie?

A most interesting tour. Thanks Jack. I had no idea what to expect inside the Arthur Wright works. Great pictures.

Only special people then!
Not us mere mortals

Shame, would be really interesting to visit

Since you're in the UK, perhaps we could meet up, and I'll see if I can arrange something for you.

Wow, great virtual tour Jack! Reminds me of the tour I had at CSC, while they were still in business. It's wonderful to see all the old equipment still in use.

Thank you for sharing with us.

P.S. What does MD stand for?

Most Devoted:p

managing director:thumbup:

Jack thanks for the visit -that was a treat.
I can't believe the size of the place. I used to live in a house exactly like it in Sydney in the inner city suburb Camperdown -former industrial hub of the city and now home to uni students,yuppies and hipsters.

Excellent read, Jack. Thanks for putting together that material and taking us with you on this visit!:thumbup:

Back