Visiting Arthur Wright & Son (Pics)

Jack, great post and I really enjoy the pictures, looks like they are producing some nice knives.

Thanks my friend, I'm afraid it was very tedious to post
clear.png

I couldn't resist purchasing one of the knives I came across :)

Sorry for the double-post above, I'm currently unable to edit it :(

Jack, an additional thanks for the tour, the pictures of the old blanking machines were great!

Jack, are they only producing knives under the Wright nam or do they produce knives under other names. Reason I ask I just picked up a small new made pruner with a J. Howarth Sheffield tang stamp that sure looks similar to some of the Wrights.

Jack, an additional thanks for the tour, the pictures of the old blanking machines were great!

Thanks Scott, I couldn't get into see those on my previous visit as there was forging being done in there. The main press they use, with the three-legged cutler's stool in front of it is from the 1920's :thumbsup:

Jack, are they only producing knives under the Wright nam or do they produce knives under other names. Reason I ask I just picked up a small new made pruner with a J. Howarth Sheffield tang stamp that sure looks similar to some of the Wrights.

They produce both blades and knives with the generic 'Sheffield, England' stamp. They do own the J. Howarth name, but I wasn't aware of them using it (that's not to say they don't). Be interested to see your knife, I have quite a few J. Howarth's. John initially shared the factory with J. Howarth, whose first name I'm afraid I forget, and then reluctantly bought it, when the old feller retired. He was the last of the Howarth cutlers, and remembered there being both an orchard and a dry-stone wall being at the back of the premises, which is very much in Sheffield city centre today.

Great post as always Jack. I enjoyed the tour. Here are few A Wright knives.

DSC_1861%202_zpsbcwgtxou.jpg

27-07015-1.jpg

Thanks my friend, and thanks for the pics. That is some great-looking stag on your Lambsfoot
clear.png

Thanks very much for the additional photos, Jack. Love the horn handles on the knife you purchased!
Dan

Those Whittle tang Bowies look awfully tempting. Is there a consensus favorite between the leather and the stag?

Thank you Jack for taking all of the photos for our viewing pleasure.

Jack, here are some pics of the Howarth, nice jigged bone, hammered pins and bear trap snap, you don't want to get your finger in the way closing.

View attachment 698442 View attachment 698443 View attachment 698444

Thanks my friend, that's a beauty :thumbsup: That looks VERY minty, but I've not seen any jigging with that much character on the Wright knives. Here's a couple of mine :thumbsup:

Those Whittle tang Bowies look awfully tempting. Is there a consensus favorite between the leather and the stag?

Thank you Jack for taking all of the photos for our viewing pleasure.

You're very welcome
clear.png
I have both stag and leather versions, and I can never make up my mind which I like the most. Sorry that's not very helpful
clear.png

I may just end up going with the leather, not as durable as the stag, but I already have a stag fixed blade i'm preferential towards. They seem like they would make good camp knives.

I may just end up going with the leather, not as durable as the stag, but I already have a stag fixed blade i'm preferential towards. They seem like they would make good camp knives.

The leather is good :thumbsup: Lots of options too, there's one with a broader blade I was eyeing up the other day :thumbsup:

804-4inchbroad.jpg

Thank you for posting these pictures, Jack, even though it's a tedious process dealing with the new software. (It's only been online a few days, and I'm optimistic that while we adjust, some of the bugs get worked out)

It's amazing to me that these knives are still being made in such a small shop, in such a traditional way. I feel like buying one (in luminous horn, if possible) partly because I want to support such efforts.

Thanks r8shell, it was a good visit
clear.png
Sadly Wright's are the last of the Sheffield cutlery firms making pocket-knives from carbon steel, but they seem to be doing OK at the moment, and John Maleham was quietly optimistic about the future. Not only do they have three apprentice cutlers, but there's a mix of ages among the small workforce, about 50% old fellers, and 50% younger guys, all trained cutlers. So, hopefully, Arthur Wright's has a good future :thumbsup:

Thanks for once again another outstanding thread Jack :thumbsup: I recently got it quite a load of Wright stamped knives to consign. I do believe 1970's vintage. Post 66 shows recent stag in this knife style & it kind of confirms what I thought,that the stags I have from that vintage appear to be of higher grade. Also,some knives I have are stamped J T Wright & Daughter. Now my quick research tells me,that these were made possibly to export to Canada exclusively,but I am not sure of this. So if anyone knows,please let me know. I have sold quite a few so far with no complaints. I thought it was a very cool find,to be able to offer .

Back