Visiting Arthur Wright & Son (Pics)

Thanks for the very kind words Duane :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the BF software changes not only mangled all the old threads, but it's not possible to edit the longer posts :thumbsdown: So, I can't edit in this link into my first post - More pics here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/visiting-arthur-wright-son-pics.1481181/page-4#post-17092256
Thanks for the link Jack! Always fascinating to review the photos. Perhaps they can be linked into the Guardians of the Lambfoot table of contents project at some point, although I shudder to add more to that task....

I'd like to echo the many thanks from so many for putting this marvelous collection of pictures together.
Also, thanks to all the commentators for adding your knowledge.
It has been a pleasure to learn from these pages.
Again, thanks to all.
OG

I'd like to echo the many thanks from so many for putting this marvelous collection of pictures together.
Also, thanks to all the commentators for adding your knowledge.
It has been a pleasure to learn from these pages.
Again, thanks to all.
OG

Jack my friend just while I am waiting to board a plane I just went through this Thread again- so good, so interesting.

Thank you SO much for your amazing contributions here Jack. :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated :) Safe travels Duncan :thumbsup:

Bringing this one back up as I just got this small whittler made by them, nice size and blade is ground thin so it does cut well, needed sharpening but any more what doesn't ? but that's fine and was handled quickly

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

edited to add that I did a whipping cord wrap near the front of the handle to provide some grip during whittling, easy to wrap and has a good texture.

G2

Last edited:
Bringing this one back up as I just got this small whittler made by them, nice size and blade is ground thin so it does cut well, needed sharpening but any more what doesn't ? but that's fine and was handled quickly

edited to add that I did a whipping cord wrap near the front of the handle to provide some grip during whittling, easy to wrap and has a good texture.

G2
Looks Great Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley ! What do you think about it for whittling? How would you compare it to other dedicated whittling knives like a Flexcut, etc?

Compared to the FlexCut line of knives the blade is a bit long and time will tell how it works for whittling, but, I did use it a little on cutting leather and I think that is where it really shines. The whipping knot is a good addition I think too so when you rotate the knife around for various angles you have that to aid in gripping the handle.
G2

They call that one a Sheffield Thwitel Gary. As in this passage from Chaucer's The Miller's Tale (14th C):thumbsup:

"Ther was no man, for peril, dorste hym touche.
A Sheffeld thwitel baar he in his hose.
Round was his face, and camus was his nose;
"

Really nice thread! Why are these so hard to find on this side of the Atlantic? I've been going to UK websites only to find knives sold out or with 20~30GBP shipping charges. Etsy and eBay aren't working out too well either. :(

So, the search continues ... looking for a "Farmer's" knife or, at least a Sheepsfoot for the taller blade profiles. If there are some good online places to find A. Wright and Sons knives, please point me in the right direction!

I’d forgotten about this thread, but I’m glad it popped back up; I enjoyed looking through Jack’s photos again, and thought I’d add a couple of my own.

I was fortunate enough to visit Wright’s with Jack in December, 2018. (We were in England to spend Christmas with my brother and his family.) Jack had agreed to meet me in Sheffield and show me around for the day, and Wright’s was our first stop after breakfast. I don’t believe Wright’s is generally open to visitors, but Jack had been working with them on his Guardians knives, and was stopping in that day to pick up a sample of the Desert Ironwood version.

We met with John Maleham, who was kind enough to show us around the shop for my benefit (Jack, of course, had seen it all before). We got to watch the cutlers work for a bit, and John showed us some of the knives they were currently working on, and allowed me to snap a quick photo before we headed back downstairs.

(I wish I could remember more about the knives they were working on that day. You can see them on the tray in the bottom left corner of the second photo below, but I don’t know anything about the pattern. I feel like John probably told us about them, but if he did, it has slipped my mind. :confused:)

Anyways, here are the photos I took on our visit to Wright’s. It was an excellent start to a most excellent day! Thanks again, Jack! :D

eI5QGYf.jpg

HotSo7k.jpg

Really nice thread!

Thanks Sid :thumbsup:

Answering your buying question would breach the sub-forum guidelines :thumbsup:

I’d forgotten about this thread, but I’m glad it popped back up; I enjoyed looking through Jack’s photos again, and thought I’d add a couple of my own.

I was fortunate enough to visit Wright’s with Jack in December, 2018. (We were in England to spend Christmas with my brother and his family.) Jack had agreed to meet me in Sheffield and show me around for the day, and Wright’s was our first stop after breakfast. I don’t believe Wright’s is generally open to visitors, but Jack had been working with them on his Guardians knives, and was stopping in that day to pick up a sample of the Desert Ironwood version.

We met with John Maleham, who was kind enough to show us around the shop for my benefit (Jack, of course, had seen it all before). We got to watch the cutlers work for a bit, and John showed us some of the knives they were currently working on, and allowed me to snap a quick photo before we headed back downstairs.

(I wish I could remember more about the knives they were working on that day. You can see them on the tray in the bottom left corner of the second photo below, but I don’t know anything about the pattern. I feel like John probably told us about them, but if he did, it has slipped my mind. :confused:)

Anyways, here are the photos I took on our visit to Wright’s. It was an excellent start to a most excellent day! Thanks again, Jack! :D

eI5QGYf.jpg

HotSo7k.jpg

A fantastic day Barrett, thank you for travelling all that way mate, it was great to spend some time with you :) Nice to see your pics, Keith, over in the far left hand corner, retired at the beginning of 2019, when John Maleham sold the firm, so that might be one of the last photos of him at work - since he really hated having his photo taken, it might even be THE last! :D :thumbsup:

Those knives are an odd pattern that Wright's used to make for wedding parties and the like, they have a Sgian Dubh blade, with a folding bottle-opener and corkscrew in the handle :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice to see your pics, Keith, over in the far left hand corner, retired at the beginning of 2019, when John Maleham sold the firm, so that might be one of the last photos of him at work - since he really hated having his photo taken, it might even be THE last!

Any idea who owns it now?

Thanks Sid :thumbsup:

Answering your buying question would breach the sub-forum guidelines :thumbsup:

A fantastic day Barrett, thank you for travelling all that way mate, it was great to spend some time with you :) Nice to see your pics, Keith, over in the far left hand corner, retired at the beginning of 2019, when John Maleham sold the firm, so that might be one of the last photos of him at work - since he really hated having his photo taken, it might even be THE last! :D :thumbsup:

Those knives are an odd pattern that Wright's used to make for wedding parties and the like, they have a Sgian Dubh blade, with a folding bottle-opener and corkscrew in the handle :thumbsup:
Got a conversion knife, couple of months ago. , came with a group of Korean war medals.
Ogriginally thought usmc medic bolo, looking at it last night, light was just right to pick out w,, - - ght,, - - - - and on blade. Any ideas

Got a conversion knife, couple of months ago. , came with a group of Korean war medals.
Ogriginally thought usmc medic bolo, looking at it last night, light was just right to pick out w,, - - ght,, - - - - and on blade. Any ideas
Pic would help :thumbsup:

Might be Wright Brothers (Bros) :thumbsup:

Lots of Sheffield firms used to produce those knives, and they all seemed to come with the same poor quality sheaths! :rolleyes: Adams blanks out their own blades, up to around 8", larger knives are hand-ground. I don't know if they use any outworkers or not. Wright's knives are made entirely in-house. Wright's do some larger, and embellished Bowies, and even swords, which are all hand-ground. Stan Shaw occasionally turns out a Bowie, and there are still a few other Little Mesters. Eggington get Bowies made up, selling them with various marks, both as Eggington, and Sheffield Collectable Knives :thumbsup:

Pic would help :thumbsup:

Might be Wright Brothers (Bros) :thumbsup:
Thanks, for tip will try put picture on tomorrow, as i said until last night, i hadn't even seen any letters, as a collector trying to identify conversation knife is most of the fun. All i can say for now, very similar to ww2 v44

Back