1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Vulcan's Chariot is ready to tune.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Fred.Rowe, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Fred.Rowe

Fred.Rowe Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

May 2, 2004
    Vulcan's Chariot, came out of a long conversation with an old hot rodding buddy. We talked about hot rods and then forges and somehow got the two mixed in together.
    This is what I think Vulcan, god of the forge, would have had under the hood of his chariot.:D

We have set this Saturday as tuning day for the new forge. I have not installed the pid controller or thermocouple but we will be able to run it manually. Both the air and gas come in under the table to keep them out of the way. I am using a 150 cfm blower to supply the air. The gas comes from a well head a thousand feet from the shop. I will make sure and take pictures on Saturday, when we fire it up and then post them the following week.

Happy to answer any questions, Fred

size03vulcan.jpg

vulcan's chariot 001.jpg

2. kibuddha4

kibuddha4

Apr 10, 2005
    That rocks! I like it.:thumbup:

-Mike Sheffield

3. Wulf

Wulf

May 10, 2000
    that's slick! I hope the paint holds up to the heat

4. indian george

indian george

Feb 15, 1999
    Looks cool Leatherface.:thumbup: Did you check the temp in the drawer yet?????:confused:

5. fitzo

fitzo

Aug 14, 2001
    It looks pretty darned cool, Fred. :thumbup: I think you might want to hook it down to the base, though. Might take off!:eek: Most forges they measure in BTU. This one might be measured in pounds of thrust! :)

6. Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

Jun 17, 2001
    Fred, Where did you put the wheels? Great looking forge. Looks like it would melt anything you stuck inside it.

7. fitzo

fitzo

Aug 14, 2001
    I was just reminded of something....
    This thing reminds me of Art Arfons and the Green Monster! :D

8. sunshadow

sunshadow

Oct 2, 2006
    no man that things pure Barris! (Ok maybe a little RF)

Love it!

-Page

9. Robert Dark

Robert Dark

Aug 27, 2004
    Dang Fred, Is that a forge or a Nuclear Reactor ?

Barris, Rat Fink, Arfon....... Haven't heard those names in a while. Brings back fond memories.

Get back to work Fred and don't forget to contact Homeland Security before firing that thing off.:D

Robert

10. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Fred, That is really cool !:thumbup:
    Stacy

11. bennett

bennett

Sep 22, 2005
    Man, that is SWEET:cool: Could you tell us a bit about the burners - what size are they, how's the air delivered, etc...?

12. Bill Armstrong

Bill Armstrong

Nov 17, 2006
    Wow! It gives the impression of what come out the back of the Shuttle! Blue Flame!

13. ddavelarsen

ddavelarsen

Dec 7, 2000
    Whoa man, I was thinking the same thing!

Fred, that just rocks. Can't wait to hear the next report. I'd agree you better nail that bad boy down!

14. Fred.Rowe

May 2, 2004
    I used engine paint. That said, I don't know of any engine that operates at 2300fh. I wanted it to be pretty for the pictures, after that, I hadn't made any long term plans. No wash and wax.:D

Fred

15. Fred.Rowe

May 2, 2004
    Hi Ig,

I haven't yet but will let you know when I do test it.

Fred

16. Fred.Rowe

May 2, 2004
    Hi Ig,

I haven't yet but will let you know when I do test it.

What temperature do you bake pizza? Maybe those French bread things would fit.:D

Fred

17. Fred.Rowe

May 2, 2004
    Thanks Raymond! It was great fun to build and I am looking forward to forging some caned steel in the oversize interior.

Fred

18. Fred.Rowe

May 2, 2004
    Art Arfons! wow that is a blast from the past. Those were heady days when guys still built them out back under a tree. I liked that approach.:thumbup:

Fred

19. Fred.Rowe

May 2, 2004
    Hi Robert,

You are correct. I need to get back to work. I have been working on this thing for six weeks or so and am anxious to make some knives.
    A lot of the work took place under the table where you cant see it. This forge runs two parallel gas/air inputs, by way of bladesmith, that resulted in quite a bit of piping in order to supply them. I'll post some under the table pics next week so you can see what I mean.

Fred

20. Fred.Rowe

May 2, 2004
    I really appreciate your input Stacy. Thanks for taking the time to show me the dual fuel/air system layout.

Fred