Vulcan's Chariot is ready to tune.

Vulcan's Chariot, came out of a long conversation with an old hot rodding buddy. We talked about hot rods and then forges and somehow got the two mixed in together.
This is what I think Vulcan, god of the forge, would have had under the hood of his chariot.:D

We have set this Saturday as tuning day for the new forge. I have not installed the pid controller or thermocouple but we will be able to run it manually. Both the air and gas come in under the table to keep them out of the way. I am using a 150 cfm blower to supply the air. The gas comes from a well head a thousand feet from the shop. I will make sure and take pictures on Saturday, when we fire it up and then post them the following week.

Happy to answer any questions, Fred

size03vulcan.jpg

vulcan's chariot 001.jpg

It looks pretty darned cool, Fred. :thumbup: I think you might want to hook it down to the base, though. Might take off!:eek: Most forges they measure in BTU. This one might be measured in pounds of thrust! :)

Fred, Where did you put the wheels? Great looking forge. Looks like it would melt anything you stuck inside it.

I was just reminded of something....
This thing reminds me of Art Arfons and the Green Monster! :D

Dang Fred, Is that a forge or a Nuclear Reactor ?

Barris, Rat Fink, Arfon....... Haven't heard those names in a while. Brings back fond memories.

Get back to work Fred and don't forget to contact Homeland Security before firing that thing off.:D

Robert

Man, that is SWEET:cool: Could you tell us a bit about the burners - what size are they, how's the air delivered, etc...?

that's slick! I hope the paint holds up to the heat
I used engine paint. That said, I don't know of any engine that operates at 2300fh. I wanted it to be pretty for the pictures, after that, I hadn't made any long term plans. No wash and wax.:D

Fred

I was just reminded of something....
This thing reminds me of Art Arfons and the Green Monster! :D

Art Arfons! wow that is a blast from the past. Those were heady days when guys still built them out back under a tree. I liked that approach.:thumbup:

Fred

Dang Fred, Is that a forge or a Nuclear Reactor ?

Barris, Rat Fink, Arfon....... Haven't heard those names in a while. Brings back fond memories.

Get back to work Fred and don't forget to contact Homeland Security before firing that thing off.:D

Robert
Hi Robert,

You are correct. I need to get back to work. I have been working on this thing for six weeks or so and am anxious to make some knives.
A lot of the work took place under the table where you cant see it. This forge runs two parallel gas/air inputs, by way of bladesmith, that resulted in quite a bit of piping in order to supply them. I'll post some under the table pics next week so you can see what I mean.

Fred

Back